Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Good news...    It seems the Victor Shaw house on Mecklenburg will be saved.   It's near the entrance to the country club.   It seems that some of the land behind the house may be subdivided for new homes.   Also, I noticed the main house in the Cramer Estate is 'contingent'.

Also, is there still a rumor that the country club will go through a makeover/expansion?   I think I read a rumor about that a few months ago. 

• Like 3

On 7/12/2019 at 9:22 AM, hokiehigh said:

Good news...    It seems the Victor Shaw house on Mecklenburg will be saved.   It's near the entrance to the country club.   It seems that some of the land behind the house may be subdivided for new homes.   Also, I noticed the main house in the Cramer Estate is 'contingent'.

Also, is there still a rumor that the country club will go through a makeover/expansion?   I think I read a rumor about that a few months ago. 

I don't think the fate of the Victor Shaw house is sealed quite yet.  Preserve Mecklenburg Inc has an option on the property.  They have until Dec 1, 2019 to sell the option to a developer.  If they don't the house will come down.

I have heard a similar rumor about the Cramer house.  Thank goodness.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 10:50 AM, Crown said:

What a lovely addition to the neighborhood

EAXCkXEXYAAUyo7?format=jpg&name=small

This was featured on the r/Charlotte Reddit page today. Seems to be a relatively common consensus, if not demand for this to become a pay lot. It's far too much parking for the businesses in here, and they could easily make it "validated" parking like the Whole Foods uptown, while also gaining revenue from an OBVIOUS demand. By doing nothing this is evidence of either some kickback scheme or a not very savvy business owner who doesn't see the potential profits they're missing out on. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, archiham04 said:

^yes, they engaged Plaza Midwood and Commonwealth Morningside neighborhoods and neither objected to the rezoning request to reduce parking requirements.

Hallelujah, I love this. As a Plaza resident I can say that walking anywhere in the area is easy. In a city like Charlotte with limited public transit the best way to reduce congestion is to provide people with a secure "home base" to keep their passenger vehicles, while creating a dense, car free, or car limited area around the residential. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, PMrez said:

Looks like possibility of a boutique hotel in old Kickstand spot. Paywalled article so i can't see the details...

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/28/chapel-hill-group-under-contract-to-buy-plaza.html

This means the group behind the storage facility with street-level retail on Hawthorne (Hawthorne Pizza) are looking to go another way...?