Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/28/2019 at 5:49 PM, KJHburg said:

From what I read from the article referenced above

""Wintergreen Hospitality, whose business is primarily in the hotel industry, filed a rezoning petition for an approximately 1.2-acre parcel at Central Avenue and Heath Court. The site includes a retail building that's home to La Autentica Mexican Restaurant and, formerly, Kickstand Burger Bar before it closed in January, as well as a surface parking lot on the back of the property. It may be the first transit-oriented development zoning sought for Plaza Midwood. Wintergreen's previous investments have largely been hotels, including The Franklin hotel in Chapel Hill, which it sold earlier this summer.""

Man, it would be great if a developer could TOD the Barnhardt property (ideally hopefully after the UDO is done) and help with a mini-extension of the Gold Line to their property.

And even if not, making a bike/ped path connecting Clement and Hawthorne would itself be a game changer for PM/Belmont connectivity. Right now the Hawthorne Mill made a lovely wide connector from Louise/Belmont Ave, but then you have to go back up to either Central Ave or Lennon.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

On 9/1/2019 at 12:25 PM, SgtCampsalot said:

And even if not, making a bike/ped path connecting Clement and Hawthorne would itself be a game changer for PM/Belmont connectivity. Right now the Hawthorne Mill made a lovely wide connector from Louise/Belmont Ave, but then you have to go back up to either Central Ave or Lennon.

I think this should be high high priority. I'm going to see if I can get some neighbors on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllAyyDub said:

Almost positive most of the site is out of the floodway, but in the floodplain.  Possibly due to the recently completed creek/greenway/park/drainage improvements.  Bringing it up just a few feet should bring it out of the floodplain as well.

EllAyy:

I saw on Polaris that floodway boundary was perhaps in the development zone but not the building site(s). Impossible to tell without a survey. Floodplain was certain though with raised soil level, IDK.

Is nothing sacred?  Dairy Queen? I love that place.  A true throwback. No pretense about it.  A melting pot of people go there.  Sure, it could use a coat of paint. I don't know what Jeni's is,  but I won't go there.  Two Scoops, locally owned or not, is not the same.  This news has upset me.  Does everything have to be sparkly new.  I've seen comments about how Charlotte has no real grit. Well, a run down Dairy Queen that hasn't changed is an example.  My day has been ruined.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Dairy Queen's fate was inevitable, I called this month's ago when walking by with my friend. The issue with the site is that it sits smack in the middle of the lot, there's no way anyone can "Thirsty Beaver" their way around this one, and it's an awful use of the lot from a contemporary perspective.   

5 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

If nostalgia had sold more blizzards there would be.

This debate occurs about every six months.... the new project on East Trade, JFG sign, firestation on S. Blvd..... oh, wait.... that one was spared ;-)

Economics of 'progress' will always win over nostalgia, the environment, and even religion (see church on Fairview across from South Park). I understand and will go back to my corner now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

This debate occurs about every six months.... the new project on East Trade, JFG sign, firestation on S. Blvd..... oh, wait.... that one was spared ;-)

Economics of 'progress' will always win over nostalgia, the environment, and even religion (see church on Fairview across from South Park). I understand and will go back to my corner now.

As the saying in Atlanta goes: "If you want history, go to Savannah"

We can also outsource our history, Salisbury has some pretty incredible buildings.

[I am not saying I want to tear down whatever remains]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfer said:

I didn't mean to be dismissive, so I apologize if it came across that way.

My longer answer would have been, I'm from Charlotte, and grew up going to or at least driving by all the nostalgic places lamented on here.  I take my family to South 21 at least once a month, not because the food is amazing, but the nostalgia does make it taste better than it is.  That said, I also appreciate my son's perspective, and he doesn't care about Dairy Queen.  He would be thrilled if it was another Jeni's because he relates to that brand, and one day he maybe he takes his kids to Jeni's to share a piece of his childhood.

I guess my view is it was DQ's responsibility to remain relevant to the market, rather than hope market respects what it once was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1