Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, Niner National said:

I wasn’t given any details but was told by someone in the know it will be a great project that fits the vibe of the neighborhood.

realistically, anything but a gas station would be an improvement over the surface lot.  I hope the old buildings are kept and that awful EFIS is removed from the main strip mall piece. I’d hate to see all of those go away entirely.

Any ideas on whats going to happen to Bistro?  If they close, I'm going to be extremely POd.  No where else in the city makes a Blood Orange Manhattan like they do.

this seems to be pretty big news Crosland buying the shopping center on Central from the Cole family.
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/196708/one-of-plaza-midwoods-most-prominent-properties-is-under-contract/
Is the "triangular shaped property off Pecan" they talk about in the article the spot where Villanis Bakery is?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, NOLA2CLT said:

Any ideas on whats going to happen to Bistro?  If they close, I'm going to be extremely POd.  No where else in the city makes a Blood Orange Manhattan like they do.

I said I wasn't given any details.

The person that told me is a friend and I wouldn't give them even if I had them, which I don't. I'm sure details will be released relatively soon. I doubt they spent this kind of money to let the property stay as is for very long.

4 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Included in the sale, comes with the lot.

A friend had her mother visiting from Atlanta and invited me to spend some time with them two months ago. I met her mother a few times in the past. This lady is 92 and sharp with a good memory. She told about how she and her husband, young marrieds, bought a house in Birmingham Alabama in 1946. The clincher of the deal is that the house came with a car. For those who may not know, all personal auto production was suspended from 1942-45 for war effort. Commercial vehicles continued to be available though not in pre war amounts. By 1946 there was a vastly expanded demand for cars without supply to satisfy. To achieve their first home AND a car?  Karma strike.

• Like 2

In my observations nightlife in Plaza lately has brought lots of crime and parking lots that are used are usually littered with trash. As I live next to one of the major parking lots in Plaza I have had many nights where I have been woken up to fights and gunshots after events let out. 

• Confused 1

On 2/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, tozmervo said:

It's a brave new The Plaza

OK!  The Plaza work is complete.  Planters that have to have traffic cones, I assume so no hits them, curbing to prevent cars from trying to use the lanes.  I have not seen a single bicycle on this thing.  Who payed for this? Why was this built?  I live on Shamrock. I can't get the city to put in a curb let alone a sidewalk or a bike lane.  The bus stop in front of my house is a mud pit. No cement for riders to stand on let alone a bench.  And I would say it is probably one of the more used stops. The entrance to the Rest Homes is across the street.  Sorry for beotching. But really, is this necessary?  I am all for bike lanes. If this was payed for by the residents on The Plaza that front this, then fine. My rant can be deleted. But if this is how my tax dollars are spent, gimme a break.  Lets bring the level of all streets up to date instead of this huge waste of money.  I am ready to be reamed for my comments.  Bring it on.  I probably deserve it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, nashbill said:

OK!  The Plaza work is complete.  Planters that have to have traffic cones, I assume so no hits them, curbing to prevent cars from trying to use the lanes.  I have not seen a single bicycle on this thing.  Who payed for this? Why was this built?  I live on Shamrock. I can't get the city to put in a curb let alone a sidewalk or a bike lane.  The bus stop in front of my house is a mud pit. No cement for riders to stand on let alone a bench.  And I would say it is probably one of the more used stops. The entrance to the Rest Homes is across the street.  Sorry for beotching. But really, is this necessary?  I am all for bike lanes. If this was payed for by the residents on The Plaza that front this, then fine. My rant can be deleted. But if this is how my tax dollars are spent, gimme a break.  Lets bring the level of all streets up to date instead of this huge waste of money.  I am ready to be reamed for my comments.  Bring it on.  I probably deserve it.

I think the planters were funded by the neighborhood association.

• Like 1

OK, it is a timing issue and traffic calming issue, that was going to happen anyway. I use the Plaza to get to Central all the time. I stopped when all the construction started and just recently started using it again. Does this look attractive to you?  The Plaza at that location has always been a very nice boulevard with the nice homes and the median with the flowers and crape myrtles.  I really think this takes away from the beauty of it.  The planters were funded by neighborhood.  Wow!  They are pretty ugly and it seems not visible to drivers.  

A complete overhaul to Shamrock?  You must know something I don't.  They are putting in new water lines on Shamrock now.  So I guess i benefit from that. I know of two projects. One is the Shamrock, Eastway and Frontenac intersection.  I have already been told this will not reach my house.  The other is sidewalk and road improvement coming from the Plaza direction.  Again, this will not reach my house.  You may understand my frustration. 

• Confused 1