Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Great news saw on Twitter @cltdevelopment feed

The iconic Dairy Queen on Central will begin a new life. According to a filing with the city the building will undergo renovations to add bathrooms, covered seating & be modernized

The new tenant will be Velvet Taco 
@VelvetTacoCEO 
SCOOP 
@jasonthomasclt

• Like 3

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the walk circle stops at Independence, despite Pecan having a decent underpass with sidewalks and lighting, but crosses the railroad, where Central is about the only mediocre crossing for pedestrians.
Also seriously question how anyone would regularly transfer between Gold Line at Sunnyside and Silver Line at Pecan.

Since this thread is about plaza midwood I didn’t feel the need to draw out the entire circle but you are absolutely correct. Also I don’t think anyone would really transfer from a Silver Line to Gold Line unless they really needed to get a distance too far to walk and you don’t see another more convenient alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Since this thread is about plaza midwood I didn’t feel the need to draw out the entire circle but you are absolutely correct. Also I don’t think anyone would really transfer from a Silver Line to Gold Line unless they really needed to get a distance too far to walk and you don’t see another more convenient alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone headed to Presby, CPCC (the largest campus in the state), the rebuilt Memorial Stadium, midtown, the government district (2nd Ward) from East CLT or Matthews would want to transfer at Hawthorne. These are huge trip generators.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

The clever portuguese have painted the newly pedestrian streets. Bright color pavement? DO NOT ENTER! better than erecting many signposts.

download-1.jpg.8da83015bbc832277bdf84cb75157104.jpgdownload.jpg.c35be3e6b1c9b629b676bd0ebccc9e39.jpg

Also in more clever portuguese thinking: with the decline of travel and vacationers, many short term rentals are vacant and owners reluctant to surrender to the vagaries of conventional renting market. Thus the City of Lisbon rents the apartments for a five year term from the owner, exempts the property from real estate tax and capital gains tax for the period, and then finds local tenant for reasonable rates. The city becomes the de facto owner for the term of five years. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-08/lisbon-s-plan-to-reclaim-vacation-rentals-for-housing

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can't for the life of me remember the name of the sushi place that had the car lifts, but it appears that they've removed them, which is odd as I have seen cars up on them before. I'm kind of sad about it because they were cool, but also see it as a positive sign that developers are recognizing that a large parking lot is not necessary to drive business. My brother just moved into 1225 South Church, and as much as I hate "cars behind bars" the complex has exactly the number of spaces and bedrooms in the building, making it a pain for me when I do drive there, but it also makes it much easier to walk over when I do find street parking. Unlike my place which has 20 visitor spots, and requires one to cross Central should they park on the street. 

13 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:
13 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

Central closed at the tracks due to water pipe issue...

C82059B9-105A-4DDD-81E7-84D69A71C2F5.jpeg

04FDD190-C5E4-4CB0-A958-1BFF08E536A5.jpeg

9F7CCC8F-4A78-4018-A772-0C195DD6EA5F.jpeg

I live in one of the adjacent buildings, I believe this might have happened during the tropical downpour we had the other day, I wasn’t home at the time but came across the closure late that night. They’ve had signs up for months warning about closures on Sunnyside and Hawthorne, they’d have alerted us if a closure of Central was planned.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Boris + Natasha will be vacating their spot at 1214 Thomas Avenue in January 2021 making the neighborhood a little less funky and spunky.

"And a little farther up off Central, singer-songwriter Hope Nicholls has run the boutique Boris + Natasha for more than two decades. Nicholls is moving her shop in January to a new spot next to Tip Top Market on The Plaza."

Read more here.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any idea what is planned for the plot on the corner of Hawthorne and Central.  It looks like 1120 LLC has assembled most of the surrounding parcels.  I'm sure no one was in a rush with the ever delayed streetcar in front, but now that there appears to be a light at the end of that tunnel, it does feel like one of the most underutilized lots in the area.

7 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

Does anyone have any idea what is planned for the plot on the corner of Hawthorne and Central.  It looks like 1120 LLC has assembled most of the surrounding parcels.  I'm sure no one was in a rush with the ever delayed streetcar in front, but now that there appears to be a light at the end of that tunnel, it does feel like one of the most underutilized lots in the area.

do you mean this:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/08/28/chapel-hill-group-under-contract-to-buy-plaza.html

(found from the development map)

47 minutes ago, t_money said:

No, obviously that's close, but I was talking about the corner on the Elizabeth side of Central across from Metro808.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1