Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

13 hours ago, The Real Clayton said:

In the immortal words of Joni Mitchen. 

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
They paved paradise and put up a Fifth Third Branch
Hey now, they paved paradise to put up a Fifth Third Branch

Do people go into branches? What are people doing in there? I haven't been inside a bank in at least 5+ years... Anything can be done on the mobile app.

• Like 2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, t_money said:

Do people go into branches? What are people doing in there? I haven't been inside a bank in at least 5+ years... Anything can be done on the mobile app.

There is a BB&T across from this new branch that has a line of cars out the parking lot and out into traffic every Friday evening.  I guess there are a lot more people than you would expect that don't have direct deposit or get paid in cash.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CTiger said:

There is a BB&T across from this new branch that has a line of cars out the parking lot and out into traffic every Friday evening.  I guess there are a lot more people than you would expect that don't have direct deposit or get paid in cash.

Hmm. That is interesting, but makes sense! Best way to hide your money from others :)

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Businesses go in or through the drive thru like my business. 

What do businesses do different that require going in? Large deposits?

11 minutes ago, t_money said:

Hmm. That is interesting, but makes sense! Best way to hide your money from others :)

What do businesses do different that require going in? Large deposits?

Most things can be done for my business through the drive through but large cash deposits go in of course and that includes a lot of retail businesses. Plus large banks use branches as mortgage outlets, various loans etc.   However my business can not Zelle money to people (I asked)  and business accounts can't do everything that a personal account can do.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Most things can be done for my business through the drive through but large cash deposits go in of course and that includes a lot of retail businesses. Plus large banks use branches as mortgage outlets, various loans etc.   However my business can not Zelle money to people (I asked)  and business accounts can't do everything that a personal account can do.  

Correct.  I set up a line of credit last year and the bank required that I come in person to do that.  And I wasn't the only customer in the bank!

• Like 2

RE bank branch visits:

Federal Know Your Customer regulation encourages banks to force lots of in-branch visits. I don't think an in-person visit was required by the law but many banks preferred it as a means of documenting that they 'know' their customer (this may change post-covid)

The Community Reinvestment Act (circa 1977) further discourages banks from closing branches in underbanked and otherwise disadvantaged areas. It also encourages them to open new urban branches (Unlikely to change post-covid).

Given that much of this demand for branches is regulatory rather than market driven (other than old people), I don't see much future for branches pending deregulation. The first bank to figure out a new way to generate revenue from branch space might win (or the first bank to figure out how to get around the regulations)

My last three branch visits:

• deposit a wad of cash from selling a car (didn't want to deposit in atm)
  • pick up rolls of quarters so my daughter can do laundry at college
  • I needed a notary
Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

This was a rezoning filed in January for the old Nova’s space, which is slated to become a Cold Stone Creamery. Is this just adding more parking down the back/behind the building?

2021-004. 1511 Central LLC. 0.9 acres on 2 parcels at 1511 Central Ave. from B-2 PED to B-2 PED-O. “Nova’s Bakery: Optional provision under PED to provide parking and streetscape flexibility with preservation of existing building.” Rezoning agent: Alexander Ricks.

4 hours ago, sakami said:

This was a rezoning filed in January for the old Nova’s space, which is slated to become a Cold Stone Creamery. Is this just adding more parking down the back/behind the building?

2021-004. 1511 Central LLC. 0.9 acres on 2 parcels at 1511 Central Ave. from B-2 PED to B-2 PED-O. “Nova’s Bakery: Optional provision under PED to provide parking and streetscape flexibility with preservation of existing building.” Rezoning agent: Alexander Ricks.

Most likely the parking ratios are out of date, and they are working to reconcile.  We have seen several of these types of rezonings that appear to make legal, the existing Parking situation.

Edited by archiham04
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, t_money said:

:offtopic: Keeping track of retail bank branches is what I do for a living. That said, Fifth Third's sudden denovo expansion in Charlotte makes little sense to me. West Blvd, Kings Dr, Stonewall St, East Blvd, and E 7th --that's A LOT for one bank in one year in a single market (FYI: a denovo is a new branch, rather than a relocation or a 2-for-1). Most all large banks are reducing overall branch numbers, by either exiting unprofitable markets (when they're able to skirt around strict U.S. banking laws) or relocating from large bank-owned freestanding branches and moving into leased strip or in-line retail. I honestly would love to have a conversation with their location analysts because the Charlotte growth is counter-intuitive to everything I know. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, CLT-704 said:

That's massive for the Charlotte beer scene and they will fit in well in Plaza.

• Like 3