Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/8/2021 at 9:09 AM, archiham04 said:

It's more than that.  The Nova family wants to add up to 30,000 square feet of development.  And have the right to remove parking and/or add parking lifts.  I don't even know how that much square footage can be added to that land.  Nearby neighbors are concerned and talking to the attorneys for the Nova family as well as Zoning officials.  We're also going to reach out to PMNA and Larken Egleston.  I'm all for development but this sounds like craziness!

On 3/27/2021 at 9:27 AM, SpiritOf76 said:

Just FYI, They are paving pecan today 

D2C9FC11-2D5B-4201-9DB4-98918B9D2848.jpeg

This would be a great time for charlotte to implement complete street components like pinch points or chicanes. Cars travel at very high speeds on Pecan and it is a street that is used by lots of bikers and pedestrians, which is never a good mix.  Unfortunately it seems they have already marked the lines to be painted and bike lanes don't seem to be included. 

• Like 2

On 2/8/2021 at 8:30 AM, sakami said:

This was a rezoning filed in January for the old Nova’s space, which is slated to become a Cold Stone Creamery. Is this just adding more parking down the back/behind the building?

2021-004. 1511 Central LLC. 0.9 acres on 2 parcels at 1511 Central Ave. from B-2 PED to B-2 PED-O. “Nova’s Bakery: Optional provision under PED to provide parking and streetscape flexibility with preservation of existing building.” Rezoning agent: Alexander Ricks.

The current rezoning request calls for up to 30,000 square feet of new building.  For those doing the math at home, that's the equivalent of 3 more Nova's Corner buildings on that lot.  Holy disregard of aesthetics Batman!  When asked on a community call today, "why 30,000?", the attorney for the Nova's family said he just picked that number out of the air.  Really?  On a rezoning request that you asked the City to approve?  Hmm... something is rotten in the state of Plaza Midwood.  Help me, Larken Egleston Kenobi (City Council rep who lives in P-M), you're our only hope!  

13 hours ago, crikey! said:

The current rezoning request calls for up to 30,000 square feet of new building.  For those doing the math at home, that's the equivalent of 3 more Nova's Corner buildings on that lot.  Holy disregard of aesthetics Batman!  When asked on a community call today, "why 30,000?", the attorney for the Nova's family said he just picked that number out of the air.  Really?  On a rezoning request that you asked the City to approve?  Hmm... something is rotten in the state of Plaza Midwood.  Help me, Larken Egleston Kenobi (City Council rep who lives in P-M), you're our only hope!  

Sorry but not sure why that would be a bad thing. It would be amazing to get rid of parking and turn it into actual usable land. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Sorry but not sure why that would be a bad thing. It would be amazing to get rid of parking and turn it into actual usable land. 

You don't get rid of parking though.  Parking moves into nearby residential areas.  And then people get drunk and go back to their cars and do dumb things like try to break into a house along the way.  Happened to my neighbor this past weekend.  He couldn't get the guy to leave.  Even brandished a firearm.  Luckily, police arrived quickly.  You're right though - if people would find other ways (Uber, bikecycles, etc) to travel, then we'd be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, midwoodhoodie said:

I hope it's good news. Would love for someone to make the rabbit hole into a legit music venue like the neighborhood theater. We don't need more apartments going into that area especially with central square developement about to start....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I've never been there but I've seen pictures and it seems like a cool place.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, midwoodhoodie said:

I hope it's good news. Would love for someone to make the rabbit hole into a legit music venue like the neighborhood theater. We don't need more apartments going into that area especially with central square developement about to start....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

With the Amount of people moving to Charlotte we need more high density housing everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sakami said:

Is the ice cream shop still happening with the announcement of Amelie’s taking the Nova’s spot? I can’t tell if they are just taking the bread baking spot in the back of the space or the whole thing. 

Cold Stone in the front, Amelie's in the back (queue image of a bread loaf mullet with ice cream top)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Renderings and website for the kickstand hotel, called Refuge. Boutique (5 room) concept in existing building, typical hotel dev to start in 2022.

https://charlotte.axios.com/257797/see-renderings-work-begins-on-plaza-midwood-hotel/

(photos from Axios)

C08B25E1-B659-437A-880B-4D2E45D1ED1A.webp 76274C0C-37B8-45AD-BF5D-7EC94C24EE9A.webp 4BEC60DA-FC0B-4154-ABEC-73E9FE49F9DE.webp

edit: posted from safari on iPad, images were loaded as attachments. Hope that works.

Edited by CLTNative
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, CLTNative said:

Renderings and website for the kickstand hotel, called Refuge. Boutique (5 room) concept in existing building, typical hotel dev to start in 2022.

https://charlotte.axios.com/257797/see-renderings-work-begins-on-plaza-midwood-hotel/

(photos from Axios)

C08B25E1-B659-437A-880B-4D2E45D1ED1A.webp 19.3 kB · 1 download 76274C0C-37B8-45AD-BF5D-7EC94C24EE9A.webp 13.73 kB · 0 downloads 4BEC60DA-FC0B-4154-ABEC-73E9FE49F9DE.webp 84.42 kB · 0 downloads

edit: posted from safari on iPad, images were loaded as attachments. Hope that works.

Is this where La Autentica is?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JacksonH said:

I wish it were this location across the street.  Nevertheless, the momentum on this part of Central Avenue is still a positive.

20210512_122858.jpg

That location is going to be demoed, it is just a question of when and what goes there (i.e. how many stories).  I'm a little surprised it hasn't happened yet.  

• Like 3