Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me it looks as if this long section is split. Will they leave the section from Bistro to the end wall of the former market and tear down from Roco to the end?  They both seem like different sections, already... And what of the current grass area between Meineke and Independence, If anything?

Cant wait to document the progress :camera:

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 9.08.12 PM.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, michaelef said:

I try not to read the comments from people on Axios Charlotte, most of them don't know what they are talking about and most likely have done nothing to help Charlotte.

Yeah I'm with you.  Its funny how stark the contrast is in the sentiments of UP and places like that.  Axios commenters really really love parking is what I have realized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I don't have Instagram so I can't read the comments. I like it, I just don't think it has a Plaza Midwood feel what-so-ever. Still, way better than that awful lot. 

Totally agree with you.  I'm happy to see the parking lot disappear and more pedestrian-oriented development and pedestrian interaction on the street level, but I wish the new structures were not as tall and less steel and glass.  This could overwhelm the historic charm  and character of Plaza Midwood.  Somebody posted awhile back an image of a development in *I believe) Indiana, which looked perfectly suited for PM.  That's more in line with what I was hoping to see.  If Charlotte isn't careful it's going to look like Atlanta or Dallas, which isn't a compliment.

25 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

The office building portion actually has similar vibe to the office building at Caswell & 7th, which is less than a mile away. I love it.  Kind of ties PM with Elizabeth.

https://www.elizabethonseventh.com/

1935638712_ElizabethonSeventh.thumb.PNG.432ba7452f9b81278c9aa7908f642fb1.PNG

PM2.jpg.552ce07eb22b34d3389f849a962fcb82.jpg

You make a good point.  At least the steel and glass buildings that I don't like are set back away from Central Avenue.  I still wish these buildings were one or two stories shorter.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

Totally agree with you.  I'm happy to see the parking lot disappear and more pedestrian-oriented development and pedestrian interaction on the street level, but I wish the new structures were not as tall and less steel and glass.  This could overwhelm the historic charm  and character of Plaza Midwood.  Somebody posted awhile back an image of a development in *I believe) Indiana, which looked perfectly suited for PM.  That's more in line with what I was hoping to see.  If Charlotte isn't careful it's going to look like Atlanta or Dallas, which isn't a compliment.

I get what you're saying about the materiality of the larger buildings. It has the same fiber cement panel look that doesn't really jive with P-M.  I'm also a little concerned that the street level renderings almost entirely focus on the *interior* of the development, as opposed to how it integrates into Central & Pecan. 

• Like 2