Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

I get what you're saying about the materiality of the larger buildings. It has the same fiber cement panel look that doesn't really jive with P-M.  I'm also a little concerned that the street level renderings almost entirely focus on the *interior* of the development, as opposed to how it integrates into Central & Pecan. 

Central and Pecan will still be a terrible setback CVS. 

• Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Urban Cowboy said:

image.thumb.png.728dd1e73bef692d6cccd71860de8b3a.png

This project is literally saving and tastefully incorporating historic structures. The only historic charm in Plaza Midwood IMO is residential along Thomas Avenue. And arguably the business frontage along Central. I'm all for this project. And this is 1.5 blocks from the gold line terminus. We should be encouraging this type of development. It has LOTS of retail, office, and residential. And continues Commonwealth through the development, effectively extending the urban fabric of PM's core. PM will never be the PM of 15 years ago. So odd how people like to complain (not saying you are JacksonH). But how many of these people *really* want to live in the PM of years ago? 

Don't get me wrong.  I'm actually very excited about this project.  I just think a few tweaks here and there could make it much better aesthetically.  Either way it will be a vast improvement over what's there now.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Urban Cowboy said:

But how many of these people *really* want to live in the PM of years ago? 

I used to live a block from this site and am happy to finally see urban infill here. When I first moved to PM back before Obama, my boss joked if my bungalow were ever broken into, I could just go over to the various pawn shops to recover my stuff.  I'd often be the only one walking across the tracks on Central before there were any apartments.  Change is good.  I can always look at my Hipsters in the Ghetto magnet when I'm feeling nostalgic. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

^ In June 2000 I was looking for my first house in Charlotte. My favorite was on Thomas st near Kinsington. Unfortunately I decided it was out of my price range (around $180k), so I ended up in  Dilworth, which, strangely, was cheaper than PM at the time.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CTiger said:

The rendering that shows Central looks to include wide sidewalks and retail.  I think the city needs think about how to slow traffic down on that stretch of Central to see much more than that.   It feels way better walking up between Pecan and Thomas because it goes down to one lane and everyone drives a bit slower.   Its the same issue with South Blvd in Southend.   I'd love to see some patio dining options in this area, but not sure it would feel too cozy there.

Regardless, I think it would be hard for this development not to be a big improvement here.   I wish we could go back in time and hold some of the other developments on this strip to a higher standard in this regard, because everything around this has already closed itself off to Central and Pecan.  If you look at what is around this development you have a CVS surrounded by surface parking, an apartment building's leasing office, Snooze which sandwiched parking between itself and the sidewalk, a pawn shop with bars on the windows, Midwood Smokehouse which also sandwiched parking between itself and the sidewalk, two more commercial buildings with zero pedestrian interaction, and the corpse of a Dairy Queen from 70 years ago.   Pecan isn't too much better.

There's gotta be a study or data on this.  You don't get a vibrant line of storefronts for pedestrians to walk from shop to shop, unless speeding cars on the drag aren't in the pedestrian's awareness.  In this project, the developers create Commonwealth Street cutting through the center of the development - this new street is 2-lanes, and narrow enough so that Pedestrians feel prioritized because the sidewalk space is almost wider in the aggregate than the street width.  The reason this developer likely didn't extend the feel of the Central Avenue shopfronts to this project is that Central Avenue just isn't a pedestrian-prioritized street.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

Walked by Atherton Mill yesterday and clearly saw that the Plaza Midwood Commonwealth project is so radically different, and frankly, better designed than Atherton.  That Atherton garage is so visually pronounced - no commitment to micro-retail or incubator space as far as I can tell - you have to walk across a parking lot (instead of a pedestrian plaza or public square) to get from Tremont or South Blvd to the O-Ku part of Atherton.  So yea, no comparison. 

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, atlrvr said:

The site plans posted above literally show all frontage in Central lined in retail on the apartment ground floor and the existing retail building remaining with expanded outdoor seating.  There couldn't be any more retail on Central if they tried.  CVS breaks up the urban streetscape, but I'm sure there wasn't a price they could pay to get them to move.

CVS has lease term until 2042, so don't expect them to go anywhere anytime soon. I also remember some language in their lease that limited what you could do anywhere that was adjacent to their property line, so Crosland may have given them additional lease term in exchange for some more flexibility there, but that's just a guess. 

• Like 4

So the old Penguin sign has finally been replaced. Please tell me someone knows if it was saved or not. I know it's just a sign, but I think a lot of long time Charlotte residents hold it in high regard. I certainly do. When I first moved to the QC way back in the late 90's I rented a duplex with a friend off Hall avenue and the Penguin was a regular haunt. PBR pitchers and fried pickles.... oh the memories. I'd say that sign is as quintessential Charlotte as the Queen Park and JFG signs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

So the old Penguin sign has finally been replaced. Please tell me someone knows if it was saved or not. I know it's just a sign, but I think a lot of long time Charlotte residents hold it in high regard. I certainly do. When I first moved to the QC way back in the late 90's I rented a duplex with a friend off Hall avenue and the Penguin was a regular haunt. PBR pitchers and fried pickles.... oh the memories. I'd say that sign is as quintessential Charlotte as the Queen Park and JFG signs. 

Yes I have heard it was saved cant remember by whom but I saw something on twitter about it I think. 

• Like 1