Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, go_vertical said:

It actually has a positive effect on pedestrians.  A parked car adds a barrier between them and moving traffic providing a stronger sense of safety. 

Sure it can help, but its the easy way out. Not to mention that its crazy that we allow cars to park for free on streets and in turn the community gets nothing back.

On street parking:

• creates a chaotic environment for pedestrians and residential areas. More chances of car accidents (cars can't see around corners or don't see cars pulling out). 
  • reduces pedestrian line of sights at crossings
  • biking along streets with on street parking is extremely dangerous. 
  • encourages more driving as cars often have to circle to find spots
  • takes away space that could be used for bike lanes, bus stops, bus lanes, green space or wider sidewalks (all of which would have a greater affect of slowing cars down and make our communities more enjoyable for people)
  • doesn't financially benefit the city at all
  • Has very limited affect on bringing money to local businesses
Edited by Nathan2
  • Like 3
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Sure it can help, but its the easy way out. Not to mention that its crazy that we allow cars to park for free on streets and in turn the community gets nothing back.

On street parking:

• creates a chaotic environment for pedestrians and residential areas. More chances of car accidents (cars can't see around corners or don't see cars pulling out). 
  • reduces pedestrian line of sights at crossings
  • biking along streets with on street parking is extremely dangerous. 
  • encourages more driving as cars often have to circle to find spots
  • takes away space that could be used for bike lanes, bus stops, bus lanes, green space or wider sidewalks (all of which would have a greater affect of slowing cars down and make our communities more enjoyable for people)
  • doesn't financially benefit the city at all
  • Has very limited affect on bringing money to local businesses

The points you raised about sight lines aren't wrong.  But I think the "net"  benefit of on-street parking is that it efficiently narrows the road width which slows down traffic while also shielding pedestrians and cyclists (if there's a bike lane wedged between the parked cars and curbside/sidewalk). 

The community gets back narrower streets which generally slow down traffic and a barrier between pedestrian/cyclist zones of the streetscape and those accommodating moving vehicles.

If you replaced on-street parking with say, concrete bollards, which effectively narrowed the road as well, and then used on-street space for protected 2-way bike travel, well that might be ideal, but my sense is that businesses in an area like P-M want all types of parking, including on-street. 

As much as many of us want the land-use efficiency that results from car-independence, I think it is folly for us to just operate as though we're in some post-auto world.  I don't see cars going away at all, and electric vehicles are mediating the conflicts some people had with car-reliance and carbon-neutrality.

In fact, as the EV market surges, I suspect parking lots and parking garages may get bigger, as EV owners expect charging stations while parked.  I think centralized parking with charging stations might be an opportunity to recognize parking as a core part of infrastructure, and to better coordinate its placement with other land uses.  In my view, parking is part of the last mile of transportation/mobility, and is yet another item that perhaps could fall under CDOT purview.   

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 11:21 AM, atlrvr said:

Hotel.... permanent mid-rise space for the pop-up hotel "Refuge" currently there in the old kickstand burger spot.

I REALLY hope they fix the sidewalk/pedestrian infrastructure up Hawthorne at that part of Central as part of the redevelopment.  The apartment across the street did a great job with the sidewalk and trees, but this side is pretty awful and gets worse the further you go up.  Culture shop is incredible and should be a nice walk from Central but it is pretty bad at the moment.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 8:45 AM, tarhoosier said:

Looking at all the photos with mix trucks I hypothesized there were job opportunities in the field. Correct-O:

https://theapplicantmanager.com/careers?co=c0

You're definitely right about that. About 18 months ago, you could usually get a truck of concrete delivered the next day. Now, you're lucky to get it in the next week. Big driver shortages across many transportation industries.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...