Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Carolina Ron said:

The New Charlotte metro credit union building at 912 Central Ave., where Norman sound used to be. The article says they are consolidating the drive-through building and the main building into this new branch. Sounds like they’re making room for a new project in those old locations.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/charlotte-metro-credit-union-breaks-ground-on-new-central-branch-location-301494183.html

5F4DF9F8-05DE-469E-92D8-BB41FFC0F6FB.jpeg

I always thought their old site would make for a killer condo high rise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 8:33 AM, DMann said:

I always thought their old site would make for a killer condo high rise.

Agreed - 718 & 818 Central Ave High Rise Towers (Residential) would make a lovely addition to the area being at the main entrance to the neighborhood from Midtown.  I’m thinking PM may be some years away from true Highrise construction though, SouthEnd is currently taking up all the oxygen on that one for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CTiger said:

Anyone have a scoop on what is going on with the old pawn shop across from the new development at Central Square?  It looks like its been completely gutted.

No scoop, but looking at the property records it was purchased in 2018 by an entity connected with a dental practice in NE Charlotte. Wouldn't be surprised to see a dentist office here.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unctarheels said:

Charlotte Metro Credit Union is building a new location on Central next to White Rabbit/Central Coffee. They are planning to relocate the employees from the main building at the beginning of Central/Kings, which means the strip of land they own from Central all the way to White Rabbit (besides the law office), and the two parcels of land on Sunnyside, will probably be sold to develop office buildings, restaurants, condos, apts, in the future. 

I think they plan to complete the new location by Q4 22, and Choate Construction has already taken over where the wheel chair store used to be, should be interesting. 

The lower strip of land on Central is what I'm referring to, the X is the only piece of land they don't own.

image.png.2f4e1ca1c1ede47e43d39c8f78d33438.png

Any idea on what their new building will look like? Will it have retail or strictly just a new office building with surface parking?

• Like 2

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/06/21/charlotte-metro-credit-union-new-hq-central-avenue.html

Looks, like they are building their new HQ from Piedmont/Central (to the right of Roberts & Richmond) all the way to the new bank that they have just started building next to Central Coffee they are in process of building. 

They then plan to sell the old HQ and land from the left of Roberts and Richmond PA after construction of the new HQ is complete in Q2 2024. 

"Charlotte Metro Credit Union will break ground on a new headquarters in the Elizabeth neighborhood in 2023.

The two-story, 48,000-square-foot building will be at Central Avenue and Piedmont Street. It will feature a second-floor terrace, an atrium space, two underground parking levels and a training room. The new location, with its rain-scene façade, will be able to house just under 200 employees, said Eric Gelly, president and CEO at CMCU."

On 6/14/2022 at 5:13 PM, unctarheels said:

Charlotte Metro Credit Union is building a new location on Central next to White Rabbit/Central Coffee. They are planning to relocate the employees from the main building at the beginning of Central/Kings, which means the strip of land they own from Central all the way to White Rabbit (besides the law office), and the two parcels of land on Sunnyside, will probably be sold to develop office buildings, restaurants, condos, apts, in the future. 

I think they plan to complete the new location by Q4 22, and Choate Construction has already taken over where the wheel chair store used to be, should be interesting. 

The lower strip of land on Central is what I'm referring to, the X is the only piece of land they don't own.

Edited by unctarheels
  • Like 4

On 6/14/2022 at 5:13 PM, unctarheels said:

Will they hold the new development as an asset, or sell the entire block (assuming they purchase the Roberts and Richmond parcel) and let a developer do their thing?

6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the leasing plan for the retail and general site plan for the first phase of Commonwealth.  First time I have seen this.  Like the squirrel with crown logo.  They should sell some t-shirts with that on it.

http://www.thriftcres.com/wp-content/uploads/Crosland_Commonwealth_Retail-Leasing-Flyer.pdf

I wonder what kind of development phase 2 will be. Would be nice to have another grocery store in the area, especially close to the Gold Line. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...