Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the adults appear age 23-39. I have been invisible for many years.

I see some in their 50s there or maybe higher I think, not many but I see them

I really like the image their trying to go for and that commonwealth sign…not sure if it’s a CGI prop or fancy way to display their project name for the video, but it would a be cool architectural/art design feature.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

41764823-ABDC-4BCE-B971-258411E65C06.jpeg

We went to Burial today before it rained and were up on the roof.  They were going to have such an amazing view of downtown.  Now it’s a wall of concrete.  As we left, one of the staff was telling a girl “yeah, we got the building before we knew that was going there.”   Too bad. 

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Such is the fate of living in a booming city. Though the downtown view is but a wall of concrete as well, I find that ironic. South end and now here, these comments of getting their view blocked. I understand on one side: an iconic view of Uptown’s skyline. I guess it’s shame to have such an iconic view blocked by another development, but if that development is tall enough to block that view from a roof top or multistory building then imo that is an addition. Just happens to be in close proximity and eclipses the skyline. I wouldn’t necessarily mourn the loss of a view but instead see it as a new one and this building isn’t bad looking. Not as great as the skyline but not the end-all be-all. Still understandable from that business though.

I’m not complaining about the growth.  Just commenting on how it was going to have a great view and now doesn’t.  But how weird is this.  I swear I had no advance knowledge..

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-around-town/c5-development/article264215861.html#subtopper

Edited by turbocraig

Too soon?  with the Commonwealth project with all its retail and restaurants wonder what the parking situation with their garages will be there with their retail tenants?  Maybe Up to 2 hours free with validation or just 2 hours free then paid after that except maybe for the office tenants.    My suggestion would be 2 hours for free, then paid parking with by the hour it going up.  I would think they would have a plan when they open.  I do expect paid parking in some format at this location for retail and restaurants.  it will be interesting to see what it will be. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Feel as though that apartment could have incorporated the thirsty beaver into its design. I think someone at the developers table was spiteful or lazy due to not selling… they quite literally just cutout a portion of the building that was supposed to be there like cutting a piece out of the cake.

6 hours ago, JeanClt said:

Feel as though that apartment could have incorporated the thirsty beaver into its design. I think someone at the developers table was spiteful or lazy due to not selling… they quite literally just cutout a portion of the building that was supposed to be there like cutting a piece out of the cake.

But isn't it better this way?!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, JeanClt said:

I believe the owners of that parcel did not want to sell. I’ve seen similar situations play out in other cities, so this doesn’t seem completely unusual for me. The biggest issue I have with this block is the lack of retail and that they didn’t try to save the old church at the corner of Hawthorne and Central. I believe the church was once a recording studio and bands like REM recorded there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

I believe the owners of that parcel did not want to sell. I’ve seen similar situations play out in other cities, so this doesn’t seem completely unusual for me. The biggest issue I have with this block is the lack of retail and that they didn’t try to save the old church at the corner of Hawthorne and Central. I believe the church was once a recording studio and bands like REM recorded there. 

I know the Murmur album by R.E.M. was recorded in Charlotte. I wonder if it was in the church you reference?

• Like 3