Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, go_vertical said:

I was told today from a source that I trust that the La Authentica Mexican restaurant at 1101 Central will close in June or July to make room for the hotel project that was announced a little while back.  Any other tenants have to be out by October so I assume we should see demo by the end of the year or early next year.  This info is coming straight from the restaurant owner so should be solid. 

A hotel in this location will do great.  

At the risk of being nitpicky, this is technically Belmont, not Plaza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:06 PM, NYtoCLT said:

A hotel in this location will do great.  

At the risk of being nitpicky, this is technically Belmont, not Plaza.

At the risk of being nitpickier, at least half of the major projects people assume are Plaza-Midwwod are technically Commonwealth.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Nathan2 said:

Can we please get some Townhomes in this city with at least some architectural thought put into them. No wonder so many people are against density when it all looks like this. 

Yeah these are so bad it's insulting to the neighborhood if not the entire city.  Who is approving these horrid designs? Aren't renderings of proposed residential developments part of the approval (disapproval) process with city council?? 

• Like 3

There seems to be a backlash against more Density and Height of proposed buildings in the Core of the City.  First the 8 Story building proposed in Dilworth (East Blvd @ Scott Ave) and now the Levine project proposed on Central.  I don’t know if the average Citizen realizes what the Newly adopted TOD Zoning and UDO Directives promote/allows by right in the City now.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

There seems to be a backlash against more Density and Height of proposed buildings in the Core of the City.  First the 8 Story building proposed in Dilworth (East Blvd @ Scott Ave) and now the Levine project proposed on Central.  I don’t know if the average Citizen realizes what the Newly adopted TOD Zoning and UDO Directives promote/allows by right in the City now.  

Yea, lots of folks are waking up to the UDO.  I wouldn't be surprised if this thing gets significantly amended in the next 5 years as folks realize that by right without an opportunity to force various changes is not what they want.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2023 at 7:27 PM, Take2 said:

Yeah these are so bad it's insulting to the neighborhood if not the entire city.  Who is approving these horrid designs? Aren't renderings of proposed residential developments part of the approval (disapproval) process with city council?? 

Not Plaza Midwood, but Julia Maulden Place in Optimist Park - backs up to Parkwood Ave.

Check out these beauties!

042423_1.thumb.jpg.62b0479296ef3b348b06811c0e63920b.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 5

14 minutes ago, ArchiCLT said:

Not Plaza Midwood, but Julia Maulden Place in Optimist Park - backs up to Parkwood Ave.

I worked on some of these Habitat homes on that street but that was a long time ago.   Those homes are  so............

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ArchiCLT said:

didn’t the NCGA prohibit housing aesthetic’s being used in zoning / permitting / approvals in residential construction? I vaguely remember something like that from a decade ago? 

15 hours ago, RANYC said:

Yea, lots of folks are waking up to the UDO.  I wouldn't be surprised if this thing gets significantly amended in the next 5 years as folks realize that by right without an opportunity to force various changes is not what they want.

It might not be what current homeowners want, but the infill opportunities enabled by the UDO are certainly something that people who currently (and will eventually) need  housing in Charlotte want.

Its gonna take some pretty hardcore climate (and housing affordability) denial to backpedal the UDO (Not meant to imply that this would be impossible, but I can’t wait for the yard signs “in this house we believe current residents can ignore the needs of the community”)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kermit said:

didn’t the NCGA prohibit housing aesthetic’s being used in zoning / permitting / approvals in residential construction? I vaguely remember something like that from a decade ago? 

Yes, They limited the materials used as well as the location of the garage. Though at a certain point ( I believe Quads and larger) denser attached homes are considered commercial and are not subject to those rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 7:27 PM, Take2 said:

These townhouses really aren't that bad, I can think of dozens and dozens AND DOZENS of worse concepts. At least these have brick. Unique Architecture = extremely expensive.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

These townhouses really aren't that bad, I can think of dozens and dozens AND DOZENS of worse concepts. At least these have brick. Unique Architecture = extremely expensive.

They're not the worst I've seen but they look so flat At the very least they should have bumped that brick out so it returned a full length of the brick instead of cutting them all off. Also they really need to clean off that brick, that will help the visuals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

They're not the worst I've seen but they look so flat At the very least they should have bumped that brick out so it returned a full length of the brick instead of cutting them all off. Also they really need to clean off that brick, that will help the visuals.

Yea it only bumps out the depth of a brick, I agree that it could have gone the length of the brick instead. Not much of a difference. 

Also not sure why anyone is giving my statement above a confused case. 

21 minutes ago, sakami said:

I was reminded today that Conformity bought the old school that has been home to the International House. Per the story on WFAE the site is being marketed as an interesting opportunity (or some similar adjective). Has anyone seen the JLL marketing materials?

Here you go:
https://invest.jll.com/us/en/listings/land/1817-central-charlotte-nc-unitedstates

story on WFAE  https://www.wfae.org/race-equity/2023-04-25/nonprofit-groups-depart-historic-plaza-midwood-school-marketed-for-redevelopment

• Like 1

That was Midwood Elementary School. Then with the dramatic increase in teen pregnancy in the 80's and early 90's it was home to TAPS, Ten Age Parents School where expecting girls could continue their education, have social workers and occasional nurse checks and support for their future. It was also the night school in the after school hours for students who were at risk for dropping out and needed work or support for family during regular school hours.  Also for those who were so far behind in credits they needed an additional class hour or so beyond what was available during their normal school day schedule. Then International House arrived when the condition of the building was not sufficient for school standards. Centrall location, excellent bus connections, some parking. I was in the building for all those uses except the elementary school.

• Like 2

One can see a success in social currents by observing the teen pregnancy graph over the past 40 years. 

https://www.guttmacher.org/gpr/2014/09/what-behind-declines-teen-pregnancy-rates

Rare is the serious issue addressed so effectively that it declines significantly in such a short time. If you were involved in the effort at that time or until now, take a bow. (That means all persons since this effect requires the proper decisions made by all young people of every cohort and gender, whether young now or previously young.)

That bump from mid 80's to early 90's was more dramatic on the ground as the change was from an existing slight decline to a large increase in a short time. That increase then declined and continued to do so over decades. TAPS services and others like it are less necessary now and all will agree that is a good thing. I note that much of the data is for girls age 15-19 and the pregnancy for below age 15 is also an issue more difficult to address both prior to and after the event.

TAPS was created in the 1970s with input from the school system, Florence Crittenton* and Planned Parenthood as well as community organizations. Morgan School in Cherry was the location prior to Midwood School. 

*https://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/programs/child-welfarechild-labor/florence-crittenton-homes-history/

Crittenton home has been on the campus of Carolina Medical Center for many years in a back corner near Lombardy Circle. These quiet, hardworking organizations make a difference in our community. I salute them.