Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!! Real urbanity. I REALLY like this plan, though it was difficult to tell if those renderings actually represented the architectual style of what would be built. I think they are just the site planner.

If this development is in fact completed as proposed (and this is just a small portion of the larger development) then the city planners should look at this as what COULD be done, and DEMAND that all new greenfield development follow this thoughtful design criteria.

I found this PDF doc online today. Portfolio pages taken from an architectual company in Charleston! They look like drawings for Morningside Village... not sure if they're the real deal or what, but they look great! :good:

Check out pages 8-9:

keanemusty.com portfolio PDf

Beautiful!!! Just what kind of development Charlotte needs in its inner ring neighborhoods. I would love to see this type of development down South Blvd supporting the rail line.

A2

I think it looks encouraging. They should also include an affordable component of apartments so the current tenants that are being displaced and others could have a chance to live in the reincarnation. That way part of the community fabric that is rapidly gentrifying the working class out of the area could be preserved.

In light of all the recent tear downs and so-called "renovations" that have been and are taking place, should the Plaza-Midwood historic district be expanded in order to preserve the character of the neighborhood and prevent some of this? While some of the home additions have been done quite well and fit in perfectly with the character of Midwood, others are simply awful. It sometimes looks like someone dropped a house onto a house, with no consideration whatsoever for making the addition blend in or for preserving any architectural integrity of the structure. And while some of the tear downs may have been homes that were ugly or non-descript to begin with, that isn't always the case.

For instance, a beautiful home at the corner of Truman and Belvedere was recently demolished. And don't even get me started on the trees they just cut on that lot!! It has been stripped clean of numerous old, LARGE trees. It looks awful and the loss of tree canopy really pi**es me off as a resident of Midwood! At this point, it doesn't matter to me how "fabulous" the house (or houses) they build there might be. The reckless disregard for those trees far overshadows anything that will get built, IMO.

But back to my original question (pardon this tree hugger for getting sidetracked). Should Midwood's residents set about attempting to cover more of the neighborhood with the historic district status in order to have more say-so over the renovations and tear downs? While it won't plug the holes in the city's lame tree ordinance, it may prevent Midwood from becoming a neighborhood of McMansions. :angry:

P.S. Should this post be in another thread or a separate thread?

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

In light of all the recent tear downs and so-called "renovations" that have been and are taking place, should the Plaza-Midwood historic district be expanded in order to preserve the character of the neighborhood and prevent some of this? While some of the home additions have been done quite well and fit in perfectly with the character of Midwood, others are simply awful. It sometimes looks like someone dropped a house onto a house, with no consideration whatsoever for making the addition blend in or for preserving any architectural integrity of the structure. And while some of the tear downs may have been homes that were ugly or non-descript to begin with, that isn't always the case.

For instance, a beautiful home at the corner of Truman and Belvedere was recently demolished. And don't even get me started on the trees they just cut on that lot!! It has been stripped clean of numerous old, LARGE trees. It looks awful and the loss of tree canopy really pi**es me off as a resident of Midwood! At this point, it doesn't matter to me how "fabulous" the house (or houses) they build there might be. The reckless disregard for those trees far overshadows anything that will get built, IMO.

But back to my original question (pardon this tree hugger for getting sidetracked). Should Midwood's residents set about attempting to cover more of the neighborhood with the historic district status in order to have more say-so over the renovations and tear downs? While it won't plug the holes in the city's lame tree ordinance, it may prevent Midwood from becoming a neighborhood of McMansions. :angry:

Some background on the house: it was built by the original owners of Furr's Nursery. It had nearly 300 different varieties of camelias on the lot (incredible when they were in bloom). All were ripped out and sent to the landfill.

SNUG HARBOR is the indie/rock club going in where fire and ice was.

This is fantastic news for Charlotte. We need a place that caters to this crowd. The Attic does a decent job of it during its less-busy hours. If you go before 10, you'll hear nothing but Kings of Leon, The Subways, Hard Fi, and the like. After 10, the hip hop starts, though. I can guarantee that I'll be a regular at this place.

PlazaMidwoodGuy- my husband and I drove by that lot the other day and I literally gasped! I cannot believe that they tore down all of those trees. You'd think they'd at least leave up the trees that offered privacy in the backyard! If they are building a house on spec, wouldn't a mature tree canopy be an incredible selling point? And if someone has bought the land and is building a house for him or herself, what on earth would possibly lead them to clear the land entirely? Do you save that much money?

I am FLABBERGASTED by that. I still sniffle a little bit when I look out at my lawn at the two bare spots where trees used to be before the ice storm a few years back. I know that it's cheaper to build on a lot that is cleared, but there's a new neighborhood out Providence that is touting full, mature trees and a gorgeous tree canopy as an AMENITY. Get it? Nature, as an amenity of the neighborhood. Imagine that. And those houses are $1 million plus.

Historic District protections are a thin shield at best. A builder totally gutted a bungalow on the "protected" stretch of Magnolia in Dilworth recently and will most likely just get a slap on the wrist. They are better than nothing though. I thought extending PM's historic district beyond the Plaza&Thomas was a good idea as well but was told that there really are not enough older structures left to make a case. If that is true the least that can be done would be the creation of guidelines to preserve tree coverage and limit the looming nature of the replacement houses.

I think it looks encouraging.

I am very encouraged that they might be splitting this project up among designers. If they did 30 acres in "NeoClassical Charlestonian Urban" it would be disneyland. To the same point if they did 30 acres in avant garde architecture it would be it's own type of disney. I hope they will mix it up a little bit more within each block. I personally don't want be going from the "Central Ave Tomorrowland" to the "Morningside NeoClassical-land" to the "Midwood Jum-bungalow-land".

we do have three or four conversations going on here...

A consistent theme would be nice. I would think there would be a concerted effort amongst the various developers to work in concert on one style..but I am just a layman in this regard so what do I know. From these preliminary renderings it looks like it will at least have some character and not be just another bland condo.

Edited by voyager12

This is fantastic news for Charlotte. We need a place that caters to this crowd. The Attic does a decent job of it during its less-busy hours. If you go before 10, you'll hear nothing but Kings of Leon, The Subways, Hard Fi, and the like. After 10, the hip hop starts, though. I can guarantee that I'll be a regular at this place.

Yes, maybe we will finally get some good indie acts without having to drive to Cat's Cradle.I know the building is rather small,but some of the best shows have been at very small venues.

A consistent theme would be nice. I would think there would be a concerted effort amongst the various developers to work in concert on one style..but I am just a layman in this regard so what do I know. From these preliminary renderings it looks like it will at least have some character and not be just another bland condo.

Often large tract projects are given to various developers so that everything doesn't look identical. This was part of the plan when 1st Ward was transformed, also Gateway, and others. The idea is difference developers, architects, builders, will come up with different projects with different looks. I see both sides of the arguement, but to me it is a good thing so we can hopefully avoid everthing having too much "sameness". Note how many recent projects look almost alike, at least to me, with 2 or 3 stories of brick, then one or two of stucco or fake stucco, then a semi-flat flying roof.

Dilworth Walk, Latta Pavilion, Ratcliffe (the amped up version), a couple gateway buildings, etc.

As I understand it, Graham intends to handle only the land development and will indeed split the site up with the intent of parting it out to various developers who will be beholden to the master plan and some type of form based zoning or CCRs similar to that shown in the KeaneMuskey .pdf. I have been told that a couple of big boys are already in tow on larger components and that plebians like Conformity will get a shot soon at the smaller pieces. Here's hoping.

First time poster. Discovered Urban Planet from today's Observer article about the Trump Tower. Was thrilled to see a chain on Plaza Midwood.

I live in one of the vaguely Truman Show houses on Dunhill Drive.

I've got a quick question - I'd appreciate hearing any thoughts you might have:

Has anyone looked into developing the section of Central between Plaza/Morningside where LITTLE ITALY currently sits? It seems like there is a lot of space there ripe for development. Little Italy is great, but judging by its parking lot I don't think it's hyper-successful. It seems like they would sell with the right offer, and a developer would have a massive amount of real estate to play with. Has this been considered?

Also - has anyone ever actually been inside Dirty Den's? I'd love to hear what it's like.

First time poster also. I'm over on Nandina near Lulu's, have been for 4 years. I have to say that i love this forum and have learned alot in the last hour perusing the postings. I rarely leave the neighborhood for entertainment or dining so I'm psyched to see more of it coming to us.

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

First time poster also. I'm over on Nandina near Lulu's, have been for 4 years. I have to say that i love this forum and have learned alot in the last hour perusing the postings. I rarely leave the neighborhood for entertainment or dining so I'm psyched to see more of it coming to us.

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

welcome to UP, nandina. i've noticed alot of first time posters the last couple of days, which is great. PM does indeed have most of the urban amenities one needs - i too, have found myself not leaving the area for lengths of time. what is really nice about PM is that you can get around on foot or bike pretty easily... that adds to the urban experience greatly, IMO.

I am very encouraged that they might be splitting this project up among designers. If they did 30 acres in "NeoClassical Charlestonian Urban" it would be disneyland. To the same point if they did 30 acres in avant garde architecture it would be it's own type of disney. I hope they will mix it up a little bit more within each block. I personally don't want be going from the "Central Ave Tomorrowland" to the "Morningside NeoClassical-land" to the "Midwood Jum-bungalow-land".

This splitting-up approach was news to me too, now that I've seen that KeaneMuskey .pdf, and yet another reason to admire this project......actually I think that's one of the tenets of New Urbanism, to have varied styles intermingled, so it appears the "town" developed very organically over years, rather than all-at-once, Post WWII-style......I had just kind of assumed Morningside Village was all gonna be a NeoTraditional architectural style, albeit very well-articulated in details (as opposed to the watered-down disappointments you see all over the 'burbs: gussied-up vinyl-clad apartment complexes masquerading as "New Urbanist" -- a handy tool for developers to squeeze more DU/acre, even though they're still car-dependent).......I haven't yet personally toured I'on down in Mt. Pleasant (Tom Graham's success story outside Charleston), but I know from pictures & critiques it's very well done, yet as far as I know all 'historic Charleston' in theme.

I especially hope your finer point of mixing it up is encouraged........I'm really big on the idea of dynamic, thought-provoking architecture inserted among historical vernacular styles......they make the street come alive & suggest this is a place inhabited by people who care about their built environment, instead of the sleep-inducing sameness of the suburban landscape....the common trait among both extremes, whether contemporary or historic buildings, is that they were done well, by capable & talented designers. Think of cool cities you may have experienced like this.......Berlin, with avante-garde design by Rem Koolhaas among the old classical stuff around it, or, if you're familiar with Charleston, the cubist concrete BofA branch on Calhoun St. in the Historic District, or the very clean contemporary Middleton Inn (by W. G. Clarke) on historic Middleton Plantation. I'm less concerned whether people think a particular bldg. is "pretty' or "ugly", than I am that it inspires strong feelings b/c the architects had the nerve to think outside the box. This is the kinda stuff that excites me as a possible direction for our 'hood (even if pursued in a toned-down way), and I think the funkiness people on this forum want protected along Commonwealth makes it a distinct possibility.

About the Morningside redevelopment...

I was told by through our neighborhood association that all residents of the Morningside Apartments must be out by April 30. I would assume interior demolition would begin later in May with the buildings being torn down later this summer.

R.I.P. Morningside...

287723905_4fe284c608_o.jpg

287723902_bb76e0973f_o.jpg

287723900_25c3679840_o.jpg

287723896_2d5bede8c6_o.jpg

287723900_25c3679840_o.jpg