Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

That is a very good point. The parking is extremely limited already on a busy day. Does anyone know the deal with the Beauty Mall and their boots? I saw a flyer at Common Market that said "Ban the Boot." I had seen the occupants of the beauty mall booting cars, but that was a while back. I thought they had stopped all that by now. Do they really have enough business to warrant keeping that many spaces empty?

Back to the topic- nice idea about a parking deck.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the deal with the Beauty Mall and their boots? I saw a flyer at Common Market that said "Ban the Boot." I had seen the occupants of the beauty mall booting cars, but that was a while back. I thought they had stopped all that by now. Do they really have enough business to warrant keeping that many spaces empty?

I don't know why either, but saw a notice as well on the doors of Boris and Natasha yesterday. Perhaps they are booting since everyone else over there is doing great and they've always looked like a leftover business from when the area was run down. Jealousy makes people do stupid things.

AutoWerks site -- retail, office, restaurant!! This great area can stand new residents, but building upon its vibe and potential as a thriving strool and shopping/dining hub would really be great.

Parking is quite an adventure whenever I go to Creation for example, which is one of my favorite haunts. When I was there last week it looked to me that the crater in the lot behind Creation, CM,and the Tavern had been filled. It's still a rather tight squeeze and improvements need to be made. I think a parking deck would have to be designed carefully as not to detract from the surrounding quirkiness. A standard parking deck can really sap a lot of character. Eco friendly and artistic parking garages have been built in Asheville and Charleston and I think a deck in PM should be equally unique and blend in. This neighborhood's growth reminds of Virginia Highlands main drag and it would be great if the denser development would encourage a more walkable district and reduce the semi-stripmall feel of Thomas St. today.

I went to Common Market with friends late Sat. afternoon to grab a wrap. I was shocked how busy the district was. They were lined out the door at the Penquin, Thomas St Taverns patio was full and lots of prople strolling around the area. PM is on a roll. I cant wait to see what Conformity comes up with. I would love to see the corner of Pecan & Central developed where the CVS and Family Dollar are located. Great view of the city and location.

I went to Common Market with friends late Sat. afternoon to grab a wrap. I was shocked how busy the district was. They were lined out the door at the Penquin, Thomas St Taverns patio was full and lots of prople strolling around the area. PM is on a roll. I cant wait to see what Conformity comes up with. I would love to see the corner of Pecan & Central developed where the CVS and Family Dollar are located. Great view of the city and location.

That parking lot between CVS and Family Dollar is such prime location for development.I can't believe it hasn't been yet,but I'm sure there are reasons for this unutilized property.

That parking lot between CVS and Family Dollar is such prime location for development.I can't believe it hasn't been yet,but I'm sure there are reasons for this unutilized property.

Do you remember Captain Neon? It was located at the corner of Thomas and Central, home of No Grease Honey. Rex and Jeff were friends of mine. The rented their space from the same person who owns that piece of land. They told me he said something to the effect "this will never be........" what Plaza Midwood has become. He owns lots of property in the PM area. Maybe someday he will see the vision. We can only hope. I think he also owns Midwood Corners and I heard at one time he was in serious talks with Walgreens to tear down Midwood Corners and build a Walgreens. eeek! That was several years ago. Thankfully that rumor never materialized.

Do you remember Captain Neon? It was located at the corner of Thomas and Central, home of No Grease Honey. Rex and Jeff were friends of mine. The rented their space from the same person who owns that piece of land. They told me he said something to the effect "this will never be........" what Plaza Midwood has become. He owns lots of property in the PM area. Maybe someday he will see the vision. We can only hope. I think he also owns Midwood Corners and I heard at one time he was in serious talks with Walgreens to tear down Midwood Corners and build a Walgreens. eeek! That was several years ago. Thankfully that rumor never materialized.

I checked Meck Co. GIS to see who owns that horrible sea of ashphalt and the equally horrible strip shopping center with Family Dollar. It says Cole Properties, which has an office on Central Avenue. Who is this owner has he even been approached by any serious developers about buying that parcel? Seems I remember a battle about it a few years back. Does anyone know the story?

I see that Conformity is posting as I type, and he probably has a better inside track on that property than I do....but from what I understand, lots of people have been interested in Mr. Cole's shopping center, without much luck. Not that I wish harm on anyone, but he is an elderly gentleman, so I can assume at some point the land will become available. I did see him at a streetcar meeting last year, but didn't poke my nose into his conversations.

Thanks UP for all the feedback....several fresh thoughts there and I appreciate hearing them.

Cole is John Cole Hatcher. His family owned Cole Manufacturing. They made farm equipment if I recall correctly and their huge operation covered everything that is today the Central Square Shopping Center. Only the two buildings all the way in the back remain. Mr. Hatcher's office is still on site. He has about 17 acres there. He also does own Midwood Corners and just finished assembling about 4 or 5 acres around the church at Hawthorne and Central. The other huge property owners in the area are Squires and Barnhardt.

Mr. Hatcher has been approached by everyone....to no avail.

Anyone seen "The Vyne" advertisement in Creative Loafing? It says "Starting in the low 100's," and "Great location near Plaza Midwood" and "energy-efficient design."

The developer is the same as 3rd Ward Warehouse District:

http://www.citilineresortline.com/

Hopefully someone has an inside tip on this one. :dontknow: Thanks in advance!

There was a passing refernce to this development in the CBJ. I'm not sure where it is.

Here is the website in it's infant stages.

http://www.thevyne.com/

Reminds me of Plaza-Vu is design.

Edit....3-miles from Uptown sounds possibly around Central/Morningside, or maybe this is going at Central/Briar Creek where the Aldo shopping center never materialized.

Anyone seen "The Vyne" advertisement in Creative Loafing? It says "Starting in the low 100's," and "Great location near Plaza Midwood" and "energy-efficient design."

The developer is the same as 3rd Ward Warehouse District:

http://www.citilineresortline.com/

Hopefully someone has an inside tip on this one. :dontknow: Thanks in advance!

Good to see that they are building more affordable "urban" condos, instead of just all high end luxury condos. Hopefully this will help Charlotte stand out with people looking to relocate from more expensive areas of the country, but while wanting to stay on a more "urban" environment. :thumbsup:

Has anyone seen the new paint job for what will soon be Intermezzo Pizza at the five point intersection on Central? Does anyone know if this establishment will be serving delicious adult beverages?

How about 5 points becoming a cool little destination of its own? Common is playing at Grand Central tonight, so they continue to get some good events. Any idea if Salvation Army will part with it's land?

Additionally, the parcel right in the middle is a unique spot that seems difficult to work with due to parking issues. Maybe something similar to Price's, DQ, or a walkup hot dog or sandwich stand?

Are you talking about the two brick buildings with radius corners @ Central and 10th? I have always hoped something could use those existing buildings.

I am very interested in visiting Intermezzo once open. Anyone know when that should be? I would think the exterior paint would be one of the final stages.

I was thinking about this yesterday. I would love to see serious development there.

I pass through this area daily and have always thought that it could grow into a nice stroll district. There are a couple older storefronts with some character on the other side of Intermezzo that need some new life. I have been hoping that Intermezzo will be a late night pizza and dessert place. I guess we shall see!

This may be misplaced in this particular thread, but in the event it is not - where do you find these "dog bars" I've been hearing about lately? I'm probably late on the scene on this, but seems an incredible way to create a "stroll district".

Edited by nowensone

This may be misplaced in this particular thread, but in the event it is not - where do you find these "dog bars" I've been hearing about lately? I'm probably late on the scene on this, but seems an incredible way to create a "stroll district".

Not that it necessarily belongs in this thread, but there is a bar called DogBar in NoDa, at the corner of 36th and Davidson. You can bring you dog there and have a beer too.

Drove by old Fire and Ice today and noticed Snug Harbor is finally open for business. It was dark so I could see inside. It looked really cool inside and inviting. Also, they had a really large deck and patio area out back with lots of cool stringed- up lighting. Seems like a really good addition to what is already going on in this area. A live music venue is finally back in the PM. You bet I'll support this place-starting tommorrow night!

I went in yesterday after a hike up Crowders Mountain because my friends wanted some Dairy Queen and I didn't want to stand in line and decided to be nosey. The place looks cool and I'll definitely be back. They weren't that busy but it was early and Sunday. One of the owners introduced himself to us as we walked in and told us about the place which was pretty gracious. It's not that common to see owners do that. I'll definitely head back sometime to hang out one night. The place has a relaxed atmosphere so I think it will lend itself well to being a neighborhood mingling spot and give it somewhat of a "where everybody knows your name" atmosphere. Not Cheersy, just welcoming, which I think is one of the things that has made places like The Evening Muse such a success. With the loyalty PMers give there local establishments and a warm environment and staff there is really nothing holding this place back from becoming another PM landmark in the future. I'm really looking forward to seeing what bands they bring in. Its a great addition, when Jacks opens down there that little street will probably have a lot of activity. With all of these new additions and the current nightlife spots in PM I wonder if that Fuel location will start to stay open late on weekends. They have a myspace page as well Snug Harbor Myspace

Did anyone go to Snug Harbor this weekend? How was it?

I went Fri. night around 9:00 pm. It was a cozy atmosphere with a nautical theme. They had a DJ spinning cool music and everyone was hanging out at the bar.Everyone was welcoming and it was just like any other PM establishment,where you can go by yourself and not feel uncomfortable,and pretty soon your talkin to someone. They had a great bar,couches for chillin, and a nice sized back patio with a beer tub and what looked like a future fire pit.They already have a great lineup of bands booked. Should be a successful addition to the hood!