Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anybody comment about the Graduate opening at the corner of Central Avenue and the Plaza? This was mentioned in this week's Creative Loafing in the story about the Comedy Zone. Supposedly, the Charlotte Comedy Theater is moving to the Graduate from SK Net Cafe on June 1. Where is it going to be?

I guess I am confused. Are we talking about the Charlotte Comedy Theater or the Comedy Zone?

Interesting article in the O today about Central Avenue.

Suburban codes squelch hopes for Central

The upshot is, the commercial areas of Central Avenue are zoned B1 and B2, which is a very suburban zoning classification, requiring large minimum setbacks and buffers between buildings. If Central is to turn into a more walkable area, the definitions of the B1 and B2 designations must either be changed, or the corridor must be rezoned with another designation.

I hope the city realizes the mistake it would make by not instituting the necessary changes. Central has a good bit of potential overall, and being the major thoroughfare that it is, it represents a prime opportunity to create something of a stroll corridor. It would be nice to see the things done right in the Plaza-Midwood area be extended.

I totally agree. Central has so much potential and already has such a good base. I think it's already very strollable from the Library down to Fuel Pizza. With the amazing views of the skyline from that strip, I can't imagine this area not growing into a much larger strollable area. It would be such a waste!

I don't know about the comedy theater, but the Grad is definitely going into the old Joe's space on Central and Pecan.

Charlotte Comedy Theatre used to have their improv shows at Joe's, then they moved to SK. Once The Graduate opens where Joe's was, I guess the Comedy Theatre will start having their improv shows there.

On another topic, Zada Jane's a little bit of info up on their website now (zadajanes.com) and they plan to open in mid-June.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Dollar Store shopping center for sale? I could have sworn I saw a for-sale banner up on the backside of the building (as you drive up Central coming from uptown).

Update ---- False alarm. I drove by again, and it's just a space available banner. Clearly some wishful thinking on my part.

Edited by Bossanova

The website for the Briarcreek/74 condo project is up and running. It takes a second to load, but it is kinda cool. Under "Location" there are links to all the fun places in PM, Eliz, and NoDa.

http://www.industry29.com/

These units are pretty cool also, the roof terrace looks pretty big. There is no pricing on the site though. I guess we will find out.

Looks like there is another development slated for Central near Briar Creek across the Vyne project. Tuscan will be the developer and the project is called the DUO as reported in todays Charlotte Observer. The renderings appear to have a minimal/modern look to them. The article also says that preserving trees and the treescape is one of the goals. I sure hope they plan to implement some green and sustainable design elements. I also think the minimal/modern look would be really nice if they do it well. It looks like they may have cedar paneling from the looks of the renderings, but then again I could be totally wrong.

605-0606smith300.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.jpg

420-0606smith400.standalone.prod_affiliate.57.jpg

http://www.charlotte.com/485/story/148752.html

The website for the Briarcreek/74 condo project is up and running. It takes a second to load, but it is kinda cool. Under "Location" there are links to all the fun places in PM, Eliz, and NoDa.

These units are pretty cool also, the roof terrace looks pretty big. There is no pricing on the site though. I guess we will find out.

Us Commonwealth Park residents are generally quite pleased w/ this future project........the present zoning could've meant we'd see low-end retail/office space there, but developer went for re-zoning to do this. The rendering should be pretty accurate to what gets built, except that it should appear less monolithic in reality b/c the site topo dictates that the bldgs. will step down in about three parts, several feet at each section. (An improvement over this illustrated version, in my opinion.) Also, developer's not quite sure of color pallette yet.

We're told pricing for ea. townhouse will be 280K to 320K. (I may be off by just a few thou + or - but I don't think so.)

I am impressed by both of these projects. I love the exposed wood beams over the living room and loft in Industry 29; what a great touch. And Tuscan has to be one of the best developers in Charlotte. It will be interesting to see what exterior siding they use for these homes. Wood siding would look great like at the Oak Brook Public Library in Chicago.

I made this for some of my neighbors to see what is going on in the hood. Please let me know if I forgot anything.

AreaDevelopmentMap.jpg

Add this to the Bars/Retaurant/Boutique activity, this neighborhood is about to get even more trendy. Here's to hoping some development could possibly speed up the Streetcar down Central Ave! I doubt it though, but it seems like a logical thought based on the development of PM/Commonwealth and Elizabeth Ave.

Of course it would be, but the suburban town mayors have no interest in prioritizing a line that is so inexpensive, would likely win federal funding, goes through the densest neighborhoods in the city, serves 60,000+ people within walking distance, in areas that have a high percentage likelihood for riding transit, and are highly tied to downtown for employment and cultural activity.

Of course it would be, but the suburban town mayors have no interest in prioritizing a line that is so inexpensive, would likely win federal funding, goes through the densest neighborhoods in the city, serves 60,000+ people within walking distance, in areas that have a high percentage likelihood for riding transit, and are highly tied to downtown for employment and cultural activity.

Beautiful synopsis of the area! I ride transit everyday and would love to take the bus out of the equation. The buses on Central and Commonwealth have a pretty good amount of riders. I try to spread the transit experience to friends who have no clue how beneficial it is. Probably the easiest way to get my Ballantyne/University friends on the bus is to tell them it stops right in front of Thomas St Tavern! They usually enjoy the short ride from my place to Thomas Ave.

I am also happy about the eco friendly nature of these new projects. The location is still a tough sell. The condos may be green but as things stand now I would think most future residents are going to be driving to and from their homes the majority of the time. This site is too far from the PM district for a stroll to be feasible or palatable, it would be rather noxious and not advisable from a safety standpoint in the evening. Why pay to live farther away from the action when you can choose from Central27 which has been slow to sell out and is in the heart of PM or the the future PlazaVu? Someone has to be first and maybe this will signal the beginning of a new wave but I have a hard time believing these two complexes are going to sell out fast.

I dont think we are too far off from cleaning up Central Ave. I find it hard to believe that the people living in Midwood Central (paying $350K+ per house) are going to sit back and watch Central Station (sleazy gay bar) from their front porches. I am not at all thinking that people will walk from Briarcreek to Thomas Ave, but many will possibly ride the bus down Central.

What do you all envision happening with the AIA study on Central Ave? I think we should at least see some new commercial developments (Hopefully) down that corridor that would provide some amenities to the new residents of the area.

Edited by CLTNative

What do you all envision happening with the AIA study on Central Ave? I think we should at least see some new commercial developments (Hopefully) down that corridor that would provide some amenities to the new residents of the area.

Well I hope the study incorporates commercial, cultural and recreational activities for the people that live in Plaza/Midwood/Commonwealth. I hope the study actually focuses on the wide diversity of the community, and not from a commercial (money making opportunity stand point). As long as they maintain the balance that area has had for the last 10 years then I am all for it. Even though certain parts of Plaza have been gentrified, the neighborhood for the most part has kept it's eclectic characteristics. Their are not many places in Charlotte you can go from having a home cooked meal at Dish to playing Ping-Pong at Thomas Street to seeing a live band at Snug Harbor to eating Dim Sum, Pho, Mexican etc, to picking up some vegetables at the Tailgating Farmers Market to tasting some wine at the local Common Market. Not all of the options are super close to each other but they are walkable.

I think that from Plaza on to were Central splits into 10th Street is more walkable then form Thomas to Briar Creek, so I think they should focus on making the walk toward 10th Street more walkable (dense), and improve the transit from Plaza toward Eastland.

Also making the ethnic cultural area more welcoming to non-ethnic people aesthetically would be nice. Other than the signage, there is not much ethical visual appeal to them. Adding an Asian and a Latino Cultural center of some sorts would be cool to. Some sort of Asain Garden, or Open Air Mexican Market could be cool to. Something that ties in the cultural aspect of the area more into the community.

I have many friends that live in this neighborhood and I think for the most part they are their because they are open minded in excepting people with different backrounds, lifestyles, and ethnicity. Everybody has their own reason for living there, and for some people building equity in an up and coming area is one of them. But for some sense of community is important. Anyhow if they can maintain this balance and keep Plaza/Midwood/Commonwealth not to one sided I would much prefer that. I'm all for condo and commercial development, but the best thing about this area are the grassroots establishments.

Edited by fulcrumsf

I dont think we are too far off from cleaning up Central Ave. I find it hard to believe that the people living in Midwood Central (paying $350K+ per house) are going to sit back and watch Central Station (sleazy gay bar) from their front porches. I am not at all thinking that people will walk from Briarcreek to Thomas Ave, but many will possibly ride the bus down Central.

I would be the first to admit that Central Station is rather.....rustic? from my one and only visit there... :unsure: but it's no more sleazy than many of the other straight bars nearby. I also hope that Central develops some walkable characteristics while maintaining it's ethnic vitality. There is some community sentiment toward this but the zoning classification that needs to be changed is definitely not a top priority according to the Planning Dept head. He said so in the O. So this AIA study will most likely collect dust for quite awhile.

Edited by voyager12

Woodfield Elizabeth....it's being developed by the remnants of Summit Properties that were cast aside after Camden bought them and decided it didn't need a development team in Charlotte.

Curiosity got the best of me today.... so I walked across the street & spoke w/ grading contractor, who said project would feature 2 midrise units w/ below-grade parking garage in-between. He also said they were to be condos, but I wonder if he knows. Looked on KivaNet to no avail. Where would the plans be, I wonder?

The neighbors are all curious. Plus with 300 or so new residents, maybe Whole Foods might rethink? Just dreaming.......