Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Anyone have new info on Morningside Village? I keep hearing rumors each month that some action should start the next month. Nothing seems to be going on over there. I did go down McClintock the other day and the apartments look deserted. There are not really any cars, so I would assume the renters are out.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have new info on Morningside Village? I keep hearing rumors each month that some action should start the next month. Nothing seems to be going on over there. I did go down McClintock the other day and the apartments look deserted. There are not really any cars, so I would assume the renters are out.

I was through there last night and noticed the parking lots were roped off and most, if not all, of the apartments are now vacant. So, this tells me that some progress is being made. At least something is finally happening there!

Woodfield Elizabeth....it's being developed by the remnants of Summit Properties that were cast aside after Camden bought them and decided it didn't need a development team in Charlotte.

We were not exactly cast aside...we all chose to leave on our own accord.

Curiosity got the best of me today.... so I walked across the street & spoke w/ grading contractor, who said project would feature 2 midrise units w/ below-grade parking garage in-between. He also said they were to be condos, but I wonder if he knows. Looked on KivaNet to no avail. Where would the plans be, I wonder?

The neighbors are all curious. Plus with 300 or so new residents, maybe Whole Foods might rethink? Just dreaming.......

The development consists of one contiguous 4&5 story building with a total of 267 apartments encircling a 5 level structured parking garage. We too would be ecstatic if Whole Foods would reconsider.

I was through there last night and noticed the parking lots were roped off and most, if not all, of the apartments are now vacant. So, this tells me that some progress is being made. At least something is finally happening there!

Most, if not all, of the residents have been out since the end of April. As a member of the CMNA, I was told back in March that demolition would begin in May. I have not received any updates since then. The tape around the parking lots has been up for a few weeks. About a week ago I was driving down McClintock in the morning and saw three or four Sheriff's patrol cars parked in front of the old manager's office. My guess is that they had a few hold-over tenants who did not leave voluntarily by the April 30 deadline and that the new owers had to go and get a court order evicting them. That would explain the delay. The sheriff's deputies were probably there to enforce the eviction order(s)). I also saw a couple pick-up trucks yesterday taking away some refrigerators and other stuff. My guess is that once they finish cleaning out the interiors of leftover applicances or other junk, the demolition will begin. However, this is all guesswork on my part. If I hear more from the CMNA, I will pass it along.

Unrelated to the Morningside project, site work is under way on the lot that is bordered by Sunnyside, Hawthorne, and the north side of independence. I believe that it will be apartment units that are going to be constructed similar to the Summit Grandview on Morehead.

Now the land across Sunnyside just needs to get on its way...

Just curious: with all the flurry of attention gaining momentum around our P-M/Commonwealth/Central/Morningside area --- do y'all think the powers-that-be will push up the date earlier for our streetcar dream? (Assuming the 1/2-cent tax doesn't get the ax this November.)

At the transit meeting last fall, when they made it a distant priority in the big transit picture, they threw out some sort of vague future date (2023, or something like that?). I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be more noise fighting for it in the next 5 years or so if the energy keeps building around here like it's doing now.

Just curious: with all the flurry of attention gaining momentum around our P-M/Commonwealth/Central/Morningside area --- do y'all think the powers-that-be will push up the date earlier for our streetcar dream? (Assuming the 1/2-cent tax doesn't get the ax this November.)

At the transit meeting last fall, when they made it a distant priority in the big transit picture, they threw out some sort of vague future date (2023, or something like that?). I find it hard to believe there wouldn't be more noise fighting for it in the next 5 years or so if the energy keeps building around here like it's doing now.

I think the new energy in P-M/C/C/M is a result of the attention by the powers-that-be. If there had not been a commitment to make these areas vital (be it a designated transit corridor) than they could have very likely remained off the radar. Similar to Wilmore, as soon as it was pointed out, the outsiders adopted it as an "up and coming" neighborhood. Otherwise, it might have just toiled away as it had been for years.

^ So have you written a letter to WF on behalf of Woodfield Elizabeth and the 300+ future residents of the apartments?

Do you guys have a website?

Ditto ditto! Any answers yet?

How many new apt. or condo units does that add up to for Liz? Let's see.... new Woodfield Elizabeth, Laurel Ridge, 2 condo projects off 8th Street (forgot names...sorry).

Sounds like we will have a lot more new neighbors in Elizabeth before long. . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What?!? That's a little scary. Anyone know what the Beazer section will look like? Who are the other developers? The only plans I have seen are the Graham/Torti Gallas PDF and the Keane Musty PDF (3 Acres). Now we add Beazer to this list, who else?

All of the developers/builders have to follow the design book/ master plat produced by Torti Gallas for Graham Development - that (plus some) is what you saw with the rezoning petition. The Keane Musty pdf is the result of an architectural study and I don't believe it is binding, perhaps not even relevant. Beazer is developing the piece shown in the KM study plus all the other parcels along that stretch from Morningside to Westmorland (or whatever that street it that runs by the armory). It leaves plenty to be developed by others, but it will be disapointing if 'others' are on par with Beazer.

Not what I had hoped for with this development.

WTF! Beazer!? Will anything from that mega-PDF during the rezoning petition end up coming close? When do they collapse as a business, so that developers with more of long term interest can develop these kinds of parcels. Not only does Beazer not have Charlotte's or this area's long term future in mind, they don't even have long for this world as a company, considering their unethical business practices. I just hope we don't end up getting their final projects.

I agree. I try to be faithful that such an initial investment would bring a kick a$$ development. This faith is fading now that I know Beazer is involved. I feel better being surprised since Dub seems shocked as well. Do we have anyone close to this project that can confirm the final project will be something like the original Birkdale/Charleston-esque pdf? I was so hopeful this project would be something different (at least for this neighborhood). I dont see Beazer creations selling for $1 Million like the press has suggested to be the highest selling value.

Please, someone provide some educated insight, before we rip our hair out!!

I have no information to add to this thread, but I would like to give a big thank you to dubone, CLTNative and others who've posted information about the Central Ave. neighborhood.

I'm amazed and impressed, and shared a link to CLTNative's pictures of the Morningside demolition at my neighborhood's blog (Merry Oaks).

Haven't been to this forum before, and I'm awestruck about how thoughtful and informative y'all are.

Again, just a thanks.

Beazer, huh? :o

I have no information to add to this thread, but I would like to give a big thank you to dubone, CLTNative and others who've posted information about the Central Ave. neighborhood.

I'm amazed and impressed, and shared a link to CLTNative's pictures of the Morningside demolition at my neighborhood's blog (Merry Oaks).

Haven't been to this forum before, and I'm awestruck about how thoughtful and informative y'all are.

Again, just a thanks.

Beazer, huh? :o

Welcome to the forum, underoak!

I'm just as disappointed as all of you guys - this project needs much better than Beazer.