Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

According to the Morningside article in the Observer, Beazer (I'm assuming they're developer of the townhomes based on the statements made in the paper) "plans 145 for-sale townhomes on McClintock Road near the park. The townhomes would be three and four stories..." There is also a 4-5 story apartment building planned w/ skyline views and a 10-11 story mid rise condo building planned. I suppose we'll all see how this turns out.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stealing my thunder atlrvr.

Thanks to both atlrvr and conformity.

In return: Tuscan reps. are scheduled to speak about Duo @ Briar Creek to the Merry Oaks neighborhood on Thursday, July 26, at 7 p.m. at Merry Oaks School. Will be part of regular neighborhood meeting, with time for other speakers. Meeting has been postponed a couple of times, so unclear how many neighborhood folks will be able to show up.

Harrumph! Dilworth is "the" neighborhood to live in :lol: It's hard to compare since they are so different. In general I think the older city neighborhoods are responsible for giving Charlotte character and soul and each one contributes a different vibe.

Edited by voyager12

All,

I emailed Whole Foods awhile back to inquire (complain) about the rumor of Whole Foods moving to SP. Here's the response.

Hi Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,

Thanks for your email regarding the Elizabeth Avenue project in Charlotte. As you might imagine, construction and development takes time and there are many, many places for construction, permits and real estate to get

The Observer tabs Plaza Midwood as "the neighborhood to live in":

Link to the 7.23 Observer article about Plaza Midwood

Correction: The article is talking about Commonwealth-Morningside, not Plaza-Midwood. And the person quoted as saying he thinks it will be "the neighborhood to live in" was refering to CM, as well. PM doesn't extend beyond Central Ave.

On my way home today I saw the Intermezzo Cafe had a lit up OPEN sign in the window.

I have moved the posts about Jackalope Jack's redevelopment to the thread dedicated to that area of 7th Street:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=30859

Isn't Jackalope Jack's being redeveloped in Plaza Midwood though and not on 7th St?

........not good news to report......

I just came from the Merry Oaks N'hood Assoc. meeting tonite; they were supposed to have Tuscan Devlpmnt. give a presentation about Duo@BC (the cool-looking condos "in the woods" at intersection of Central Ave & Briar Creek Rd........Tuscan cancelled a coupla hours before, b/c apparently, the city is insisting they want a through-street from Central to whatever's behind the property, and Tuscan says the project just won't work for them numbers-wise if they hafta do that --- so they're taking a step back & regrouping. I think connectivity's great but this sounds like a case of theoretically-good policy being mis-used. It's not even a case of the city protecting the neighborhood; the MONA has gone on record that they don't want the cut-through either. We were told it might even mean Tuscan just kills the project. Will just hafta watch and wait...........

Usually I would support the city in this demand, but in this case I can't tell what they want connected. Are they wanting Briar Creek extended? If so, I'm not sure to what. There is a Cul-de-Sac across from there, and I don't see how traffic flow would be improved.

Usually I would support the city in this demand, but in this case I can't tell what they want connected. Are they wanting Briar Creek extended? If so, I'm not sure to what. There is a Cul-de-Sac across from there, and I don't see how traffic flow would be improved.

Has anyone seen a report or talked with someone at city planning about this road request?

The Vyne's ad in Creative Loafing describes their project as a "gated community". I think putting a security gate in is a big mistake and sends the wrong message. The trend for the area is supposed to be development that is eco and socially conscious not exclusive and exclusionary. I don't think other newly announced condos in the neighborhood will be gated. I hope not.

Edited by voyager12

I think putting a security gate in is a big mistake and sends the wrong message. The trend for the area is supposed to be development that is eco and socially conscious not exclusive and exclusionary.

I couldn't agree more - I don't remember this being mentioned to or by any of the surrounding neighborhood associations and I can't imagine it being well received. That will definately not improve Central's image.

I couldn't agree more - I don't remember this being mentioned to or by any of the surrounding neighborhood associations and I can't imagine it being well received. That will definately not improve Central's image.

Funny, and absolutely no offence to anyone that lives in the area or project, but Optimist Park around Duncan Gardens has more of a crime problem than Central Avenue, but no gates or fences there.

The signal this would send to me as a buyer would be "watch out". It would make me more wary of buying in the project.

Edited by Charlotte_native

I also think Vyne's gate flies in the face of city efforts to encourage connectivity through neighborhoods. I also noticed today that Zada Jane's next door to Central27 is making steady progress and should be a popular spot when it opens. What's the deal with Flava Factory next to Pura Vida? Is it cancelled or on hold? There does not seem to have been any forward movement in the space for months.

http://www.charlotte.com/entertainment/story/213291.html

my hubby and i were thinking of giving it a shot in the next couple of days...i'm craving pizza...i'll let you know!

MOD EDIT: Welcome to Urban Planet, but please re-read the rules. You will need to post a link to a news story rather than copy and paste its content. Just posting a link and a quick one-liner is also not enough.

I loved Intermezzo, the service, the bar, the peeps, and the pizza was one of the best I had tasted in a long time...great bar area for some time on a stool and a cold Stella...Fuel and Intermezzo are very different place...and I hope Intermezzo doesn't expand...I LOVE that it was the size it was...I have no interest in hanging out in a place big enough to also house the entire population of South Charlotte...don't change a thing!!!!!

Edited by PMLinks

Real cool atmosphere with a nice little interior bar. When I first looked at the menu I thought it was Greek-owned, but then I got the low-down on the owners from one of the bartenders. I haven't tried the food, but they do have a great selection of beers on tap.

The same bartender indicated that they may expand the restaurant to the rest of the building depending on how business goes. Tha patio will be real nice when the weather cools off a little.

Additionally, it was mentioned that a group of investors was in the process of buying the Grand Central building. They plan on turning it back into a club (it used to be a swing club before catering/events hall). This five point intersection has the chance to be a destination. I wonder what the chances are that the Salvation Army relocates their store.

What goes in the former car shop in between 10th and Central? Hot Dog stand? Price's Chicken Coop II? That's a tough little spot to work with.

Has anyone been to Intermezzo Pizzeria? I'd appreciate reading some reviews. Price? Speed? Atmosphere? Taste?

I visited Intermezzo last week Saturday evening. They did a wonderful job of restoring the building. When visiting pay very close attention to the design details. A good vibe.... As for the prices, they are similar to Brixx Pizza. All in all, the pizza was good (veggie and tomato basil). I am itching to try the veggie lasagna. The portions look very big. And beer selection is pretty good as well... Only thing, it's a little small.

We went there last night and absolutely loved it. I had the Margherita pizza and it was the best (Margherita) pizza I've had. My husband had the Signature burger which is beef and lamb and really liked it as well. It was full of people when we went there and I loved the cozy vibe. It seems different enough from Hawthorne's that we'll still frequent both. I actually finished my entire pizza (which is unheard of for me) so I unfortunately didn't have room for dessert, but next time I will make sure to leave room because they all sounded great--crepes, berry cobbler, or wood grilled fruit kabob.