Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Are there plans to clean up The Plaza north of that split? I need your take on this neighborhood, for my and my wife's well being. Thanks!

I've wondered about this as well--I've lived in Noda for 3.5 years and the section of The Plaza between Parkwood and 36th has barely changed during that time (although Sweet Spice is a welcome addition). I think it will change more in the years to come, albeit slowly--Belmont and Villa Heights have gotten so pricy that I'd be surprised if it didn't get cleaned up a bit.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct that The Center and Rabbit are not the main attractions in the hood. However their presence and all the rainblow flags flying in front of the center send an important message about the the accepting nature of PlazaMidwood and I would hate to see that visbility diminished.

Just to be the devil's advocate but if they neighborhood is so accepting of all people, then why are they slowly pricing out virtually everyone who can't afford $200,000+ homes?

Just to be the devil's advocate but if they neighborhood is so accepting of all people, then why are they slowly pricing out virtually everyone who can't afford $200,000+ homes?

Market conditions do that, not the active *will* of the people or really their choice. Just inflation, economics, supply/demand.

Well some of the wealthier residents in PlazaMidwood are gay or artistic in nature and are not pushed out. Not all "yuppies" are conformists . I have to remind myself of that sometimes when I rest too long on my soapbox :ph34r::lol: This issue could be ameliorated somewhat if we could implement workforce zoning like Davidson does. Anyhow, I stopped by The White Rabbit today and they told me that they were completely surprised along with The Center when the sign went up. They said they have not been told when they have to vacate the building. They also said whoever is behind this redevelopment offered to "work with them". I hope so.

Edited by voyager12

I found this PDF on the Providence Group's website, with some info and renderings on the Starbucks development off Central Ave:

http://www.provgrp.com/Space%20for%20Lease...Ave%20Flier.pdf

I am still excited about the potential of this place, but very dissappointed to see that the parking will still be in front of the building. I was really hoping to see them build up to the sidewalk and move parking to the back. Also, I thought the Starbucks was supposed to be 2 stories with a deck on top of that. From the renderings, it looks like it is just a one story coffee shop with a 2nd level deck. Still nice that they are planning the deck, but was hoping for more space overall.

The renderings also show a Travel shop, a Hobbies shop, an Art studio, and a place called The Blue Goose. Not sure if those really have any meaning, but does anybody know what The Blue Goose could be?

The parking configuration is dissapointing. We already have a big negative with CVS being sprawled out across the street. Central is supposed to become more dense not pseudo suburban. I could have somewhat warmed up to this "upgrade" redevelopment if they had at least been progressive on the design :o

I am totally guessing but Blue Goose sounds like another art gallery or gift store to me. Or it could just be a developer placeholder name...playing off The White Rabbit which is a current tenant ^_^

Edited by voyager12

The parking is f*cking atrocious. This is another example of the city not updating zoning to match their desires for the area. The zoning department needs to double the staff, and get out there and start corrective rezoning. The city council needs to acknoweldge the desparate need, and commit to 4 more nights per year that would be dedicated to city-sponsered rezonings.

As a note, they are are able to get about 15 more parking spots with this configuration, but's really no excuse. They could have pushed this to 20 feet from the curb, have a deep setback with some patio chairs, and cut some parallel parking spaces into curb along both Cental and Clarice. This is a travesty as it is.

EDIT....as I think about it, there could be some grade issues with the site, which makes this design easier, but I still maintain the position, if you can't do something right, don't do it at all.

Grand opening on September 1st. Looking at a map, this looks like it's right next to the railroad tracks. Not sure which side of the road though. Which building is it authenticbeing?

I don't see actual plants listed on their flier, just horticulture products to assist in growing plants...maybe I'm overlooking it.

Grand opening on September 1st. Looking at a map, this looks like it's right next to the railroad tracks. Not sure which side of the road though. Which building is it authenticbeing?

I don't see actual plants listed on their flier, just horticulture products to assist in growing plants...maybe I'm overlooking it.

It is in the old Resettlers Marketplace space which is the building somewhere in between the Something Classic building and the Lunchbox Records building on the opposite side of the street than CVS, if I'm thinking of it correctly. I'm not sure if they'll be selling plants...I'm going to try and stop in there soon since it says they're open while they're stocking up.

Has anyone been to Intermezzo Pizzeria? I'd appreciate reading some reviews. Price? Speed? Atmosphere? Taste?

I have not been yet, but I have heard through good sources that it is pretty good.

I'm thrilled that it's there. As a 7-year home owner in this neighborhood, I'm glad someone took the time to make this building into something that complements the community and the property. I think it will go a long way into luring some of the respectibility back into this part of Central.

I don't have anything against smart developers, Starbucks, or anything that is added here that will ultimately improve the quality of life for my family. I understand that Jackelope's will be relocating to the old church on Pecan near Central at some point, which is a dramatic improvment over the succession of seedy bars that have occupied the property.

Ahem ... maybe they don't actually sell the plants there.

Edited by heatsky

I don't have anything against smart developers, Starbucks, or anything that is added here that will ultimately improve the quality of life for my family. I understand that Jackelope's will be relocating to the old church on Pecan near Central at some point, which is a dramatic improvment over the succession of seedy bars that have occupied the property.
What do you consider "seedy"? Steeple Lounge was a FUN place to go. Great bands and interesting people. I guess it's all how you see a neighborhood. Is Common Market too "seedy"? Same people hang out there that I saw at the Steeple. Should we close it down and have it become a Petro Express? How about we close all the Taqueria's on Central down and make them all Chipotle Grills?

Just saying that you should be careful what you ask for. Before it's all over, you'll have said OK to bringing Ballantyne into PM. And IMO, that would be horrific.

Edit: something's going on with the software today

Edited by Miesian Corners

What do you consider "seedy"? Steeple Lounge was a FUN place to go. Great bands and interesting people. I guess it's all how you see a neighborhood. Is Common Market too "seedy"? Same people hang out there that I saw at the Steeple. Should we close it down and have it become a Petro Express? How about we close all the Taqueria's on Central down and make them all Chipotle Grills?

Just saying that you should be careful what you ask for. Before it's all over, you'll have said OK to bringing Ballantyne into PM. And IMO, that would be horrific.

I didn't mind The Steeple. I went there many times. But its successors have been nothing more than dumpy, poorly planned watering holes that did little more than attract late-night die-hard drunks who spread litter and trash from the clothing store on the corner to as far down Pecan as they could stagger toward 7th. On at least five occasions, people on my street have traced nighttime vandalism to patrons of the bars that followed the Steeple's demise.

Part of promoting a good neighborhood that stays true to its diverse heritage, both socially and architecturally, is providing less opportunities for irresponsible morons to screw it up.

And I don't think I recalled asking for a Petro Express or another commercial Mexican restaurant. Lighten up.

Edited by heatsky

I didn't mind The Steeple. I went there many times. But its successors have been nothing more than dumpy, poorly planned watering holes that did little more than attract late-night die-hard drunks who spread litter and trash from the clothing store on the corner to as far down Pecan as they could stagger toward 7th. On at least five occasions, people on my street have traced nighttime vandalism to patrons of the bars that followed the Steeple's demise.

Part of promoting a good neighborhood that stays true to its diverse heritage, both socially and architecturally, is providing less opportunities for irresponsible morons to screw it up.

And I don't think I recalled asking for a Petro Express or another commercial Mexican restaurant. Lighten up.

Didn't say that you did. I was (poorly) trying to make a point. Once Starbucks arrives, all the others follow. And trusting developers for making things better, um, well, trusting CVS didn't exactly provide a home run for the neighborhood, did it?

Didn't say that you did. I was (poorly) trying to make a point. Once Starbucks arrives, all the others follow. And trusting developers for making things better, um, well, trusting CVS didn't exactly provide a home run for the neighborhood, did it?

What "others" will follow Starbucks? I don't have any problem with CVS. Walking there beats having to drive all the way over to Providence to that awful Eckerd. What I could use less of in this neighborhood are check cashing centers and pawn shops.

^ I think MC is referring to CVS's lack of response to the neighborhood's concerns/requests and their plopping in the same tired old suburban store model rather than something that would extend the urban appeal of Central that exists East of Pecan. In other words, they don't really care - which is typical of larger corporate retail. More of that would be the 'others' refered to.

^ I think MC is referring to CVS's lack of response to the neighborhood's concerns/requests and their plopping in the same tired old suburban store model rather than something that would extend the urban appeal of Central that exists East of Pecan. In other words, they don't really care - which is typical of larger corporate retail. More of that would be the 'others' refered to.

Lets define even more...they did a large parking lot along the main two roads with a store set-back behind it instead of building up on the road like the rest of the streetscape even after the neighborhood requested it. Would it really hurt the business for CVS to have done so, no, was it easeir to build their some old model that they build everywhere else? Sure. I don't think anyone argues the needs for a pharmacy and store at the location, just the way they built it. Same with Eckerds at East/South.

I'll certainly agree to that. It's also got to be the most poorly-run drug store I've ever been in (there's usually ten people in line at the photo counter because all the registers are closed), although their pharmacy beats any others that are close by.