Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my dogwalking clients lives almost directly across from Steelhaus and I have watched the progress almost daily. I think it will look great when it's done. All the units have not been sold yet. The funky building right across Fulton from Steelhaus is for rent. It was originally a dance studio built in the 40s and is now a residential loft. A very cool place.

I agree, SteelHaus, for the size and location of the project, is really spectacular. The bottom floor is all retail/studio space, which is always welcomed here, and the second floor, I think its 10 units, are all to be sold. And I most certainly enjoy this unique style and shape for a very difficult space. Prices aren't bad either, and if anyone has looked at the floor plans, everyone of them are different, and unique. Wish I had the money to get one.

Edited by Andyc545

I would not be surprised at all if this is true. Sad but not surprised. All the life and character is going to be completely sucked out of the neighborhood eventually by all these condo projects. The Penguin and Common Market may get pushed out eventually. I hope not. The real estate market is not controllable by our emotional attachments. I irrationally wish it was....

Edited by voyager12

^^^^^^

I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe that Thomas Street will be leaving anytime soon.... nothing. Of course, what the hell does that prove. I believe Brian Barwick, who own's the Common Market real estate is in it for the long haul and presumably the Penguin guys are as well.

I have heard nothing of HT 1's relo....but they definitely plan to rework that store at some point.

I heard a rumor that Thomas' Streets lease was up soon and that they would be closing and putting condos there. Has anyone else heard this awful rumor. Please say it ain't so.

I can't see that property being rezoned to allow for condos - I suppose anything is possible, but if you want to see community opposition, screwing with that area would be a sure fire opportunity.

I agree that it is highly unlikely Thomas Street would sellout like that. After all, the owner of Thomas St is the same person that is getting ready to open up Zada Janes. I don't know the actual owner, but it seems like he is pretty dedicated to making this neighborhood a fun and vibrant place, so I am hoping his dedication stands up to any high-dollar offers from condo developers.

Regarding the HT relocation, I am all for them taking over the entire Family Dollar area! Seems like it would make sense, but I wonder what would go in HT's place? And if the rumor is true, I hope that they are planning on really re-thinking that whole area to make it as pedestrian-friendly as possible with plenty of green space.

On another note, I noticed a sign for Jackalope Jacks at its new site yesterday! Looks like things are going to get started there soon!! Woohoo!!

It definitely would not be smart especially with Jacks moving in right across the street pretty much. That will make a new "entertainment district" of bars/restaurants.

While it would be nice for the Family Dollar shopping center to be redeveloped, it would seemingly make the HT less neighborhood friendly. Right now, it's surrounded by homes but in that shopping center, it's mostly businesses that are around it.

It is in the old Resettlers Marketplace space which is the building somewhere in between the Something Classic building and the Lunchbox Records building on the opposite side of the street than CVS, if I'm thinking of it correctly. I'm not sure if they'll be selling plants...I'm going to try and stop in there soon since it says they're open while they're stocking up.

I went in over the weekend. I am really excited about this place. I don't know the whole inventory by heart, but they were talking about organic, biological insect remedies, plant foods, obviously hydroponic seed starting techniques etc. They are also planning on a neighborhood seed exchange for interesting or rare plants like heirloom varieties. check it out http://www.abgardencenter.com/index.html I'm going to sign up for their email list. They are going to have seasonal seed offerings an are looking for suggestions...

I can't imagine HT moving the the stip center....they own their site, and would become leasees if they moved. While they lease in lots of suburban locations, it wouldn't make sense here, considering that strip center will be redeveloped within 20 years, and then they are locked out of the market in terms of available space.

Redeveloping their current site and either continuing to own or to lease-back would be the likely answer. However, I had several months ago that those plans were shelved for the time being, so I'm not sure what options they are considering.

An employee at the HT there told me a few months ago that the store was going to relocate temporarily to allow it to expand / remodel the current location. I agree that the Family Dollar location would lack a neighborhood feel to it because it is too commercial.

I am very concerend despite what I was told that HT will nevertheless opt to move permanently to the Family Dollar location to gain more space. A permanent move makes a lot of sense with all the new residential development in the area (Morningside alone with increase the number of residential units by over 1000), which will easily add a few thousand residents to the area in the next few years. One would think that they've got to significantly increase the store size as well as the parking lot size. The current location would not appear to allow room to do both (even with the empty corner), except maybe if they minimized the store's footprint by going up (which would be pretty cool) or moving it to the corner (or both). While parking is a little tight at times at the current location, hopefully they could add a few spots as part of a redesign.

The current HT site would be the perfect location to demo, and start from scratch, with decked parking, and maybe even some residential on site. I'm not sure how the numbers play out, but it would be best location for them to make another go at their urban prototype that they have been rolling out in the D.C. market.

As a long-time PM resident, I'm all for a total demolition of our Harris-Teeter at Central and The Plaza. I tend to shop at the Cotswold and East Blvd. Teeters frequently and there is simply no comparison. The PM Teeter might as well be a Bi-Lo from a quality standpoint. They're constantly out of basic items that I never have any trouble finding at their other stores. While I realize they lack the space of most other HT's, they stock too many items that don't sell and not enough of the ones that do.

Needless to say, we need that grocery store in Midwood and I want to (and will) support it. But I think the company needs to realize that Midwood is woefully underserved by the current store and get off their duffs and do something about it...sooner rather than later.

The best thing for the Teeter to do would be to do a store like the Ukrop's (a very nice Virginia-based chain) near downtown Roanoke. The 58K SF store has decked parking on a tight and topographically challenged site. Escalators take you (and your cart/buggy) up or down from the below grade deck into a multi-level grocery store--the likes big-city Charlotte has never seen! And get this: this is not a deck like the one at the uptown Teeter, this is a 20 foot high ceiling, widely-spaced column garage. You don't have to worry about maneuvering your car perfectly to fit in a tiny space like you do uptown.

Forget Whole Foods and Publix, I want a Ukrop's!

The best thing for the Teeter to do would be to do a store like the Ukrop's (a very nice Virginia-based chain) near downtown Roanoke. The 58K SF store has decked parking on a tight and topographically challenged site. Escalators take you (and your cart/buggy) up or down from the below grade deck into a multi-level grocery store--the likes big-city Charlotte has never seen! And get this: this is not a deck like the one at the uptown Teeter, this is a 20 foot high ceiling, widely-spaced column garage. You don't have to worry about maneuvering your car perfectly to fit in a tiny space like you do uptown.

Forget Whole Foods and Publix, I want a Ukrop's!

I remember in San Francisco years ago going to something that sounds like that. I think it was a best buy or something, but I remember taking these elevators underground, and the store was underground!!! It was sweet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Is nothing happening in Plaza Midwood these days?

I don't know, but using this thread is becoming increasingly frustrating. We are so all over the place on topics, and there are so many different projects, that going back to find a discussion is next to impossible.

I was going to add to the White Rabbit conversation, that the renderings look like a renovation as opposed to a teardown, which makes me feel a little better about there abuse of the streetfront... It is existing abuse, so its okay...

Also someone posted something about Mickey D's renovating soon, and i haven't seen any work on it yet.

Is nothing happening in Plaza Midwood these days?

ZadaJane's gives a shout-out to the Flaming Lips on its sign. Not sure what that is all about.

well, the "lips" were in town last night playing @ amos... i actually ran into one of the owners of zadajanes @ the show. he said they would be opening very, very soon.

in other exciting plaza-midwood news - a friend of mine bought a hotdog stand and sets up shop right in front of snug harbor on fridays and saturdays. he calls his new enterprise "boners" and i must say, when your coming out of bar @ 2am - it's nice to have the hotdog option. (no double entendre intended)

in other exciting plaza-midwood news - a friend of mine bought a hotdog stand and sets up shop right in front of snug harbor on fridays and saturdays.

Is the hot dog stand business lucrative? I've always wondered about that. Cheap supplies, cheap labor, cheap overhead. I wonder what the "break even" point is in terms of hot dogs sold in a night?

I have wondered that myself, I've always had great ideas for hot dog stands. For instance, I think a hot dog stand outside the DMV, or the Post office on April 15th would make a lot of money. I have sat in line at the DMV on 16 around lunch time and all I can think about it food and drink. Silly Idea I'm sure, but I'd love to make it work.

I have wondered that myself, I've always had great ideas for hot dog stands. For instance, I think a hot dog stand outside the DMV, or the Post office on April 15th would make a lot of money. I have sat in line at the DMV on 16 around lunch time and all I can think about it food and drink. Silly Idea I'm sure, but I'd love to make it work.

They used to have a Hot Dog vendor at the DMV I lived near in San Francisco, I remember going there a few times.