Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove past McDonald's couple of times over the weekend and it looks to be closed. I take it this means we will see construction crews there soon? Has any one seen any plans or renderings for the new store?

Also, the adult bookstore (Central Video) appears to be closed (I assume for good) as well. Anyone know what is going to happen with that site?

I noticed geo-tech drilling in the parking lot across from Intermezzo Pizza - on the pie-slice lot where the auto inspection business used to be. I hope they get creative on that lot; a mini-Flatiron Building perhaps?

That's a tiny lot.....it would take some creativity to get it to work, but that's a good thing.

Regarding McD's....they applied for their demo permit last week.

As I recently posted in the Charlotte Pride thread White Rabbit Bookstore is moving in November to a spot close to Intermezzo. But I am not sure exactly which spot....

I can't imagine them having the cash to build new on that pie site and I don't think they'd have to do geo tech work to rehab the place ... maybe they would, I'm no engineer. Anyone know what type of work will trigger drilling?

I'm sorry if I totally missed the info about this but I looked back and couldn't find anything. What is going on at the Duron building and adjoining parking lot? There is a fence up and the Duron Store appears to be stripped down.

There was a fire in the Duron store back in January. Now Duron is temporarily sharing space in the Sherwin Williams building across the way. Maybe they are fixing it up now.

A new coffee place is opening across from Intermezzo at the corner of Louise and Central. The sign indicates that Central Coffee and Creamery is coming soon (too bad it's not called Central Perk).

This is a heck of a lot better than the drug-ridden Central 5 ways convenience store.

The 5 point intersection is really coming along as there is also rumor of a bagel place opening up soon.

A new coffee place is opening across from Intermezzo at the corner of Louise and Central. The sign indicates that Central Coffee and Creamery is coming soon (too bad it's not called Central Perk).

This is a heck of a lot better than the drug-ridden Central 5 ways convenience store.

The 5 point intersection is really coming along as there is also rumor of a bagel place opening up soon.

That is great news - we may be a little heavy on coffee shops around here (esp if a s-bucks opens at the white rabbit location), but little indy coffee shops tend to be good leading indicators.

I've long been of the opinion that a 'real' bagel bakery would do quite well in Charlotte, so I hope that rumor is more than just that.

Any updates on the following:

Thomas Street Tavern (moving?)

Little Italy (being replaced)

Zada Jane's (opening soon?)

Also, what are the chances that someone buys up those crummy car dealerships on Central (across from Central Video & News)?

Haven't heard any rumors about Thomas Street moving--not sure how much truth is there.

No update on Little Italy.

I thought Zada Jane's already did a grand opening....?

The car dealerships will be gone. They have been/will be bought up as part of the Morningside Village complex. The plan is for the main entrance to be located where the dealerships currently are.

OTHER UPDATES:

McDonald's has been closed. Bulldozing should be occuring in the next week or two. New McD's should be built and ready to open around Thanksgiving/early December.

Rumor has it DI Central is supposed to be closing up shop. A restaurant may be looking at occupying the space.

The Circle K at Moningside/Commonwealth is supposed to be undergoing renovation soon. They opted to incorporate flood walls in the buildings exterior. There will be steel gates that will need to be slid across the doorways when flooding is anticipated.

Could it be Jack's or the (I believe was proposed) parking garage on the Auto Werks site? I hope it is either one!! I am excited about both of these projects. I hate that Jack's has to move, but they are not moving that far. The new location should be incredible after renovations. We definitely need the parking around there, so either project would excite me at the moment.

I thought Jack's wasnt supposed to leave their current location for 2 years or something like that. I am not sure it should take so long to convert the Steeple into a restaurant (adding 3000+ square feet). I think this will be the parking garage (conformity?) with street level retail, if i am not mistaken. :thumbsup:

i haven't heard anything about a parking garage... i don't think conformity has said for sure what the plans are for auto verks site. i would suspect retail, people dwellings, possible office... but what do i know.

i think a parking garage would be odd - seeing that there is an ocean of parking across the street between cvs and elizabeth billiards.

Edited by cinco

Does anyone know why 3 construction trailers were dropped off today at the corner of Pecan and Commonwealth?

I didn't know that myself. We'll check it out. Not Conformity trailers. We received a request for a ground lease a while back that was aimed at staging construction equipment for another development, but nothing ever came of it.

i haven't heard anything about a parking garage... i don't think conformity has said for sure what the plans are for auto verks site. i would suspect retail, people dwellings, possible office... but what do i know.

i think a parking garage would be odd - seeing that there is an ocean of parking across the street between cvs and elizabeth billiards.

We do not currently plan a garage. In fact, we are still exploring our options.

Within the next week or two we will have up and running a web enabled market survey that some grad students in Kellogg's marketing program helped us put together. I asked NEO for permission to mention it here, which permission was granted, and I appreciate. Once it is up, I will let you know in the event that you'd like to respond. It's worth it....."Win an Ipod"....that type of thing.

As to parking.....having a deck on the near side of Pecan would be far superior to making people cross Pecan to park and I don't think Mr. Hatcher is a big fan of seeing his parking used for free at any time of day.....

regardless, we don't plan a deck on our corner at this time.

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification Conformity. I really am excited to see what comes up on that corner. I would also be happy to participate in the survey.

So have we come up with an answer yet? Is it Jacks beginning construction? I wouldnt think the Woodfield site would have to stage this far away with a vacant lot next door. Nor do I think PlazaVu would have to either. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Or could be it Soul, Andy Kastanas' new place on top of Lotus?

Edited by CLTNative

My mistake. Thanks for the clarification Conformity. I really am excited to see what comes up on that corner. I would also be happy to participate in the survey.

So have we come up with an answer yet? Is it Jacks beginning construction? I wouldnt think the Woodfield site would have to stage this far away with a vacant lot next door. Nor do I think PlazaVu would have to either. I could be wrong though.

Edit: Or could be it Soul, Andy Kastanas' new place on top of Lotus?

Turns out Woodstone Elizabeth on Ridgeway is modular. These are the modular units. City told the guy they owned the land and he could stage there (at least that's what he told us). We corrected that misinformation and he will be done in the next 7-10 days.

I'm delighted that Conformity appears to be taking its time with the Pecan/Commonwealth site. It goes without saying that this is a key corridor if our neighborhoods are going to be vibrant and connected as the inevitable infill development continues. Dynamism and creativity at that intersection could help better link PM with Elizabeth/7th st. Both areas will change and it would be nice to have thoughout buildings/developent that links them. I certainly hope this does NOT become a parking deck. If there is anything Charlotte doesn't need more of, it's parking.

Here is the survey link UP:

Commonwealth and Pecan Market Survey.

Thanks again NEO for allowing me to collect information from folks who are clearly paying attention to our built environment.

Please bear in mind that the survey does attempt to verify that Commonwealth and Pecan is somewhere people actually would choose to live as well as what's important to them, etc. etc. It is a MARKETING survey after all. :good: There are 5 AMEX gift certificates offered. They will be pulled randomly from the respondant list. If you do not see the offer on the page that first pops up....use the arrows to toggle back one page and you will see it.

If there is a higher visibility location for this effort that will not get me in trouble. I would appreciate knowing about it.

Edited by Conformity