Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as you saw, these weren't little trees. We're talking mature 50-100 year old oaks and other hardwoods. :angry:

I am not trying to be antagonistic and I do love the large canopy trees but does anyone know off hand what the life expectancy of a pin / willow oak is?

I live in a historic neighborhood lined and in filled with those same trees, one of the major reasons I live in an old neighborhood. From what I understand they were planted in the mid 30's and about a third of them have already come down due to diseases and death.

At some point if the trees are entering the end of their typical lives does it not make sense to let the buildings fallow the urban grid? It is my hope that the buildings are of a quality that will last longer than a century or at least the life span of a tree.

You won't easily find info on what the "normal" life expectancy is of a Willow Oak, b/c there are infinite variables; it's easier to say they reach a certain size. But generally, under ideal conditions, it's around 85-100 years for most of them; obviously, some impressive beauties will beat the statistics & still be around many more decades than that. If planted out in a yard, or just in the wild, they

You won't easily find info on what the "normal" life expectancy is of a Willow Oak, b/c there are infinite variables; it's easier to say they reach a certain size. But generally, under ideal conditions, it's around 85-100 years for most of them; obviously, some impressive beauties will beat the statistics & still be around many more decades than that. If planted out in a yard, or just in the wild, they have a great chance of reaching old age; on the other hand if they were put in a street-tree planting with inadequate root space, poor soil, butchered by bad pruning, or a host of other stresses, they're commonly replaced within 30 years or so.

Willow Oaks (Quercus phellos) are a different species than Pin Oaks (which more resemble Red Oaks) but are often called that. A certain kind of fungus, which seems to like Willow Oaks in particular, hollows out the insides of the buttress roots (the big ones that structurally hold the tree upright), & can work its way up into the trunk, without affecting the leafiness of the canopy (which gets its nutrients from the outside layers of the trunk anyway); hence, the toppled-over giants we see that surprise everybody b/c "they looked so healthy". I fear that this is gonna become a major issue in the coming decades across Charlotte, partic. in Myers Park, Eastover, Dilworth, etc. Trees are just like us --- they won't live forever --- so even though I LOVE big old shade trees & think they deserve lots of TLC, my feelings are tempered by the opinion that it often makes sense to 'start fresh' & let the new trees adapt themselves as they grow to a new equilibrium with whatever new buildings etc. they're near. Ideally, the tree canopy is being replaced all along.......young ones reaching "worthwhile" sizes as the great-grandpa ones are ready to get cut down.

I'm sorry but could someone quickly explain the Woodfield project? I live in the area but could not find information. The parking garage section looks enormous!

Ditto, DAC, this is exactly what I mean by "in the loop," as there is so little public information about this project, especially as this phase of construction is quickly "going vertical." Yes, aptman, we're aware that the "bunker" is a garage and will be surrounded by midrise stacked units. But we know little else. And with our small corner of Elizabeth about to substantially increase in size- over 200 residents- those of us who live and own nearby are eager to become acquainted with this project- its architectural style, floor plans, target market, etc. One only has to read this board to be more familiar with other area projects that are still in the planning or preconstruction phase. It also seems to me that the commuters who see this project going up might be interested in learning about what's happening, too. Maybe they might like to shorten their commute, who knows?

At any rate, as they say at Emil Faber College, "knowledge is good." I think knowing a little more about this project would be a good thing, not only as an across-the-street future neighbor, but just in general.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but David Furman is the architect for Woodfield Elizabeth, so with that, and the fact that Woodfield's local development team consists of former Summit/Camden people, then I think it would be a safe assumption that this will be most similar to Camden Dilworth in terms of design.

Assuming you will immediately go out and sell a unit or two your friends, why not stop by the Steelhaus Completion Party today between 11 and 2 and enjoy some free Mac's Speed Shop chow and walk our kick a$$ building. 3 units will be open for touring....a beautiful day for looking at real estate.

^^^^Also...at Woodfield Elizabeth, The Housing Studio is the architect, first cousin to DFA.

Several weeks/months ago there was a rumor that Little Italy had been sold and Carrabbas would be building on that site.

I had dinner at Little Italy last night and asked Georgia(the owner) about the rumor. She just laughed and said she had no idea how that one got started. She said they have been approached by several developers about selling and if someone offered enough she would sell.

^ Thanks for the update on that rumor....I heard a nearby resident mention Carrabas moving in a few months ago. I am glad that story is put to rest for now. In a similar vein there is an article in today's O concerning the Gay Community Center being gentrified out of their current rental space. Plaza Midwood has done an admirable job so far in attracting new development while preserving the neighborhood's funky vibe. I hope the Center is able to find another space in PM. Hopefully what replaces them in the refurbished building will be locally owned and not another Starbucks.

I had a good time at the PM Art Crawl tonight. The sidewalks were filled with people wandering around and checking out all the bands at the different locations and wandering in and out of stores. A great vibe. I was in Asheville all day today and felt the same great energy tonight in Charlotte. There was more to see in PlazaMidwood then what I have seen during NoDa crawls. Hopefully events in both neighborhoods will prosper and grow.

So Conformity, a change in strategy? I notice there is a 'build to suit' sign on the old Auto Verks site.

Nope....same strategy....

Reaching out to the housing side of the equation through the market study that I've discussed here before. The "Build to Suit" sign will drive inquiries from commercial users. We will get a feel for the different businesses that are interested in locating in the area. Don't worry....no Battery Kingdom or Auto Zone....just a tool for starting dialogues.

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since anyone has posted here. I noticed today that construction, or maybe just grading has begun at the Vyne on the corner of Briar Creek and Central. I guess they never found a buyer for the white house. Does anyone know what the status is for the Tuscan Property across the street, Duo?

It's been a long time since anyone has posted here. I noticed today that construction, or maybe just grading has begun at the Vyne on the corner of Briar Creek and Central. I guess they never found a buyer for the white house. Does anyone know what the status is for the Tuscan Property across the street, Duo?

Yeah, I think one last-ditch call was put out to offer it to someone who'd move it, but to no avail. (Would've loved to have it myself, on the right lot!) Oh well.....at least good to see one of our sexy new projects is finally moving forward. Am thinking the current real estate slump is having a lot to do with foot-dragging among various projects. Thank goodness Morningside started demo before the slump hit! The one I'm perplexed about is i29 @ BC & Independence........J.R. Poore was supposed to have broken ground, like, 6 months ago --- BUT instead the EXACT same design was touted in The O's Next Big Thing about 2-3 months ago for another part of town (sort of around Optimist Park, if I remember correctly).

BTW, if you care anything about improving Commonwealth Park by getting the crime-infested hotels along Indep., near BC overpass (on either side of shuttered IHOP), shut down & bulldozed, PLAN TO SHOW UP MON. JAN. 14th AT CITY COUNCIL MEETING.............they'll vote on new regulations that finally allow Code Enforcement & other authorities to have clout over these transient hotels in Charlotte. Buyer is waiting in the wings to snatch up that land for new mixed-use residential project on that site; hopefully a major improvement for the 'hood.

Oh yeah, about Duo @ BC & Central: last I heard Tuscan was at an impasse w/ city b/c they're insisting there be connectivity thru the property from Central ave. to street behind it.....& I guess the numbers don't work if they hafta give up that amount of dirt to a new street. Just a layman's hearsay; that was many months ago, heard @ Merry Oaks N'hood Mtg......would really like to know the current status myself.

Yeah, I think one last-ditch call was put out to offer it to someone who'd move it, but to no avail. (Would've loved to have it myself, on the right lot!) Oh well.....at least good to see one of our sexy new projects is finally moving forward. Am thinking the current real estate slump is having a lot to do with foot-dragging among various projects. Thank goodness Morningside started demo before the slump hit! The one I'm perplexed about is i29 @ BC & Independence........J.R. Poore was supposed to have broken ground, like, 6 months ago --- BUT instead the EXACT same design was touted in The O's Next Big Thing about 2-3 months ago for another part of town (sort of around Optimist Park, if I remember correctly).

BTW, if you care anything about improving Commonwealth Park by getting the crime-infested hotels along Indep., near BC overpass (on either side of shuttered IHOP), shut down & bulldozed, PLAN TO SHOW UP MON. JAN. 14th AT CITY COUNCIL MEETING.............they'll vote on new regulations that finally allow Code Enforcement & other authorities to have clout over these transient hotels in Charlotte. Buyer is waiting in the wings to snatch up that land for new mixed-use residential project on that site; hopefully a major improvement for the 'hood.

That's wonderful news about the City Council meeting. I have inlaws on Woodland that have been trying for months to do something about those hotels and the undesirable foot traffic that comes from them. (Mostly the ladies that work the neighborhood). Will definitely plan on attending the meeting.

I hope they strategically identified trees that fit with the new grid and building footprints. While it is a shame, it is definitely something that needed to be done to transform the area.

"Needed to be done??" There was a NEED to cut down dozens of mature hardwood trees? You don't necessarily have to mow down existing trees in order to "transform" an area. IMO, this entire project could've been designed so that the trees AND the development could exist side by side. Just because trees are in an urban area doesn't mean they're expendable. Or at least, it shouldn't.

Sorry for the rant, but tree preservation is a big deal with me, and I've watched far too many developments in the city (even in-fill projects that are otherwise good) rip up trees that really could've been incorporated or worked around.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

That's wonderful news about the City Council meeting. I have inlaws on Woodland that have been trying for months to do something about those hotels and the undesirable foot traffic that comes from them. (Mostly the ladies that work the neighborhood). Will definitely plan on attending the meeting.

Update on the nuisance hotels: Well-attended meeting this afternoon @ the Gov't. Center, of City Council's "Community Safety Committee".....lotsa important folks there --- Chief Stephens, media, etc. Several Commonwealth Park residents, as well as Morningside N'hood Assoc., had chance to speak passionately about our great n'hood & the criminal problems of these hotels. Committee strongly recommends this ordinance go forward for Council-wide approval on the 14th.

Will prob. be a short blurb on WBTV Channel 3 tonite; also look for front-page Observer story this coming Monday. Again, if in any way you can attend City Council mtg. this Mon. Jan 14th @ 7:00 p.m. (council chamber, ground floor of Gov't. Center, S. Davidson btwn. 3rd & 4th), PLEASE COME! If you think policy-makers don't take notice when citizens care enough to show up, you're underestimating; they do!

There's now a website up for Morningside Village! Right now just a homepage with a lot of fluffy, generic 'realtor-speak', but you can sign up to receive updates.

http://www.morningsidevillage.com/

The site has since been updated with a lot more, including a 47 page PDF file describing the layout, architectural guidelines, building heights, etc. Hover over "Our Vision" and then click on the "Design Standards" link that appears at the top of the screen.

I'm really enamored with this project, given it's potential.

I really hope that they maintain the integrity of the design standards, to what they portrayed, however, without reading them closely, I assume they are more open-ended that can easily be Beazer-ed down.

I'm not sure how many different developers/builders will be involved, but hopefully the variety will give it the organic feel that I'm counting on.

Regardless, I think its a great location, and with the removal of the apartments, a good bit of the crime issues will be resolved.