Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought there was going to be single family homes in the Morningside redevelopment. Looking at the website it appears to be all multifamily.

Quoted from the website:

"Residential that includes single-family, townhomes, residential flats, courtyard condominiums, apartments and an 11-story condominium tower on Block 9 with 400 for-rent units and 600 for-sale units."

In think the single family is going in blocks 1-4, between McClintock and Commonwealth - no quarter acre lots though, very dense for sf.

Anyone know what is going on with the old Porter paints building on Gordon across from the new Jacks? They had a fire there a while ago and I noticed that they are digging around the foundation this week - can't tell why.

Quoted from the website:

"Residential that includes single-family, townhomes, residential flats, courtyard condominiums, apartments and an 11-story condominium tower on Block 9 with 400 for-rent units and 600 for-sale units."

My bad I was looking at the site plan and there is no mention of single family homes.

Sorry if this has been discussed before. But I was looking on the Center City Partners Website and I thought I was looking at an error. It seems that they mixed up the picture of the new Cityview Terraces at the corner of 12th and Poplar with Industry-29 off of Commonwealth and Briar Creek. But they didn't. Yes they are copying the same buildings in both neighborhoods.

http://cityviewterrace.com/

http://www.industry29.com/

When Industry-29 renderings came out I was really excited about this project. It was a different design and I felt it would bring a new product to Charlotte. But is it just me but copying the same exact design in two different neighborhoods just makes me lose all respect for this developer and these projects. Yes, yes I know suburban developers do it all the time. But I just don't like that they did it in urban core neighborhoods in areas that try to buck the architectural monotony of suburbia. I would be peeved if I bought at Industry-29 thinking I have bought in a development that was unique to the area and found out that a couple of miles away the same product is getting ready to be brought to the market. I know that some developers in these neigborhoods offer products that are very similar with a few differences to make them look architecturally different but it doesnt look like John R. Poore even changed anything in the design on these two projects. YUCK!!!! I hope this doesnt start a trend.

I don't think anyone in the Commonwealth Park NA knew/knows anything about the cityview terrace development ... probably won't be all that excited to see it. What think you SCLA?

Uh, yeah, mh108909 coulda taken the words right outa my mouth........my sentiments exactly........when I saw that Observer story & rendering for the 12th & Poplar site I had the same "Huh??" reaction........I better try to be diplomatic here; no telling who may be lurking :).........but hey, if you're McDonalds why bother to go to all that tedious expense & trouble of reinventing your cheeseburger just because it worked fine for the first customer, right?

To address the Industry29 project, My Townhome says sales are doing great. I dont know anything for sure. I do know, as a designer, the CityViewTerrace site is hideous for such a good location. The Industry29 site is much better IMHO at conveying the surrounding neighborhood. I think the price for Industry29 is so new for that area, they would have trouble selling those. CityView may be easier since it is right near the loop.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this site and check it regularly but it's funny how it will die for 3 weeks before a flurry of activity, only to die off again. I'm excited about the Morningside project, ready to see some floorplans....and they're still grading the site....guess i should relax.

A friend of mine told me about a new deli near Dish and Thomas St. I dont recall hearing anything about it. I live in the area and try to stay on top of new businesses to patronize, but I cant seem to find it. Any other PM'ers know what my friend was talking about?

Also- Anyone been to the Thirsty Beaver Pub ;) near Hawthorne?

Its not new but is your friend talking about the Common Market across Thomas street from the Penguin?? They have a great deli among great wine and great general randomness.

Or possibly Zada Janes at the corner of Thomas and Central. Their food is also great and all organic, and the place forever packed. They do have shuffle boards out front while you are waiting. :thumbsup:

I live in the Rutzler (awesome) and have been anxiously waiting for renovation of the central five ways mart. For a few months there had not been any movement, but in the last few weeks they re-started clean-up. There is a trash receptacle onsite, but there has not been any noticeable difference to the exterior.

As far as the Thirsty Beaver goes, I've heard good things but haven't made it over yet. There's word that they are going to build some outdoor seating. I always wanted to check out the Rose Garden but it was just a tad too shady...

Anyone familiar with the Cedar Gables project going up on Matheson Ave? The first phase (8 townhomes) is essentially complete. I really think this is a cool little area with a great neighborhood feel. It seems like the upscale area surrounding Charlotte Country Club is beginning to expand outward.

I heard rumors about this from nearby residents last year. The owners denied it then. Supposedly Carrabas was interested. I don't know if that is still the case.

Last time I looked at it, The Jupiter Group was pursuing it....the guys who Pravda/The Forum and Cosmos and Alley Cat, etc.