Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

It has been dropped, but I'm not sure lack of demand did it in.....the city required Briar Creek Dr. to be extended into the site, and Tuscan couldn't get the numbers to work with the expense of putting a public street where the city wanted it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was the street that did it in, although Tuscan claims they'll keep the land and maybe do something else in the future. Hopefully, he'll just acquire some adjacent land that is underdeveloped and expand the project in the end.

It is a shame, but I do agree that they need to build the connectivity now or the chance will be lost for a generation.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ewscolumn4.html

It is a shame, but I do agree that they need to build the connectivity now or the chance will be lost for a generation.

I'm all about some connectivity - but I'm not sure that spot is worth fighting over - it could bring substantial traffic into a rather lazy part of Merry Oaks neighborhood. No real destination points and the neighborhood doesn't want it.

^What substantial traffic? Maybe Merry Oaks residents themselves returning home via Briar Creek. The new street extension wouldn't even have a connection to Arnold Drive, the only true collector road in Merry Oaks.

I'm tired of the all-too-common NIMBY complaint about cut-through traffic when it's those same residents who would be using the street. May God bless the cul-de-sac, be it American as apple pie.

The only traffic that would go through that point is traffic from and to the neighborhood. That is the whole point of connectivity, that you reduce monopoly connections, and thus reduce the traffic for everyone. The fact that there aren't any destination beyond all of those homes means that only people headed to those homes will use the connection. There is also already a way to bypass the Eastway-Central intersection through the neighborhood, so it isn't like that rare need (if there is some bad accident or something) would be increased. It does allow neighborhood residents to exit the neighborhood at a light, and go directly to Independence via Briar Creek, rather than doing a dangerous left turn onto Central to go right on Briar Creek.

Anyway, the fact that the city is actually pushing something philosophical rather than just rubber stamping a new development is a major improvement for the city. This isn't the most significant place in the city to push connectivity, but it is important for them to show their mettle on this issue.

^What substantial traffic? Maybe Merry Oaks residents themselves returning home via Briar Creek. The new street extension wouldn't even have a connection to Arnold Drive, the only true collector road in Merry Oaks.

I'm tired of the all-too-common NIMBY complaint about cut-through traffic when it's those same residents who would be using the street. May God bless the cul-de-sac, be it American as apple pie.

Hold your horses there slider, lest you jump to the wrong conclusions - I'm no nimby, nor am I a fan of cul-de-sacs, nor am I a Merry Oaks resident, but have you driven on Cosby? Nothing there, the connectivity would be weak. I don't think it is a case where they should hold something up 'cause they don't want to pay for a public street.

Hold your horses there slider, lest you jump to the wrong conclusions - I'm no nimby, nor am I a fan of cul-de-sacs, nor am I a Merry Oaks resident, but have you driven on Cosby? Nothing there, the connectivity would be weak. I don't think it is a case where they should hold something up 'cause they don't want to pay for a public street.

I am a Merry Oaks residents and I can tell you that we feel we have plenty of connectivity to Central Ave. There are 3 roads that connect the neighborhood to Central; Merry Oaks, Cosby and Arnold. Arnold connects Central to Eastway. I understand that the City wants connectivity but because they were so short-sighted on this particular issue they lost out on a great development opportunity. Tuscan not only owns the big vacant lot but they were also in discussions with the run down apartments next door. Eventually they planned on redeveloping those as well.

Well...it's not Tuscan is the only developer eyeing that parcel....it may not work for their particular plan, but that's not to say that they something else would work there.

I don't know the specifics, but this is probably related to long-term transportation plan requiring that, and I for one am glad to see the city stick to their guns, as compromises set precedents, and that's a slippery slope that I would hate the city to go down.

I heard rumors about this from nearby residents last year. The owners denied it then. Supposedly Carrabas was interested. I don't know if that is still the case.

Carrabas...I sure hope not. IMO, as a former resident of the area, part of what made it such a great place was all of the local, non-chain flavor in the 'hood. Personally, combined with the already vacant lot there, I'd like to see 3-4 story rental building with ground level retail. With the streetcar on the way, this large piece of Central frontage would be perfect for this type of mixed-use development.

R.I.P.

287723185_041c894a28_o.jpg

Edited by rolltide35401

I fear for the neighboring good ole Central Station. It may be a rundown scary mess but one can't deny it's has "flavor" :ph34r: It's been firebombed twice or something but manages to hang on. Gentrification cannot be denied though, I would put it on death watch since Steelhaus has gone up, Mcdonalds is being McCafe'd and Little Italy is on the way out.

I fear for the neighboring good ole Central Station. It may be a rundown scary mess but one can't deny it's has "flavor" :ph34r: It's been firebombed twice or something but manages to hang on. Gentrification cannot be denied though, I would put it on death watch since Steelhaus has gone up, Mcdonalds is being McCafe'd and Little Italy is on the way out.

Charlotte continues to lose its grit. Philly is an international city and part of what makes it special is its neighborhoods. Each of these neighborhoods has an identity and you can find an upscale restaurant beside the little irish pub thats been there for 80 years. Charlotte seems to want to tear down anything over 20 years old that doesnt appeal to a yuppy crowd of people. Thank god for NoDa, and even NoDa has lost some of its grit over the years.Charlotte is lucky in that it is growing but Im so afraid its going to be one big disneyesque theme park. I have hope that in the end the city and its people will get it right.

Little Italy was not forced out by developers and I don't think their business was lacking. The owners were given the opportunity to sell their restaurant and retire and they took it.

It is unfortunate when a long-time business closes, but it isn't always due to the "evil forces" of gentrification.

Now there is the chance for something better and more urban to be built there.

My guess, since this has already happened a number of times, is that we'll see a number of long time businesses close in the next 5 years with many boomers cashing in their family businesses. In many cases, the younger generations are off doing new and different things and won't keep a 30+ year old restaurant going.

My guess, since this has already happened a number of times, is that we'll see a number of long time businesses close in the next 5 years with many boomers cashing in their family businesses. In many cases, the younger generations are off doing new and different things and won't keep a 30+ year old restaurant going.

For all its history and the great look that an older gritty building has, the food really was mediocre. Not that I want any more of 'old Charlotte' to disappear at all (putting up my shield for any big fans of the place who might disagree) but the couple times we went there it was bad or tasted like it was frozen and re-heated. Far different than Open Kitchen on Morehead.

I wish someone would re-do and reuse the building.

Read in the Eye today that the partners behind Forum,Cosmos, and Alley Cat bought Little Italy. I guess a bar is the most likely replacement based on their history.

I noticed that the Lotus Store in the corner of Central and Pecan has closed which means that building is now completely empty. I heard a rumor a while back that a restaurant/ bar was going to open in the upstairs. Has anyone heard any more about this? It's a great location and a cool old building. I would love to see something great anchor this corner.

Also, I read the article in the Business journal about the closing of Little Italy. I hope this site doesn't sit empty for too long.

Edited by charlottegirl

I noticed that the Lotus Store in the corner of Central and Pecan has closed which means that building is now completely empty. I heard a rumor a while back that a restaurant/ bar was going to open in the upstairs. Has anyone heard any more about this? It's a great location and a cool old building. I would love to see something great anchor this corner.

As far as I know the restaurant for the second floor is still in the works -- I don't know details but was told by one of the guys doing it that it would be tapas and sushi. This was a few weeks ago and part of a different conversation so didin't get details.

That spot that held Lotus is prime, it will be interesting to see if it gets integrated into the plans upstairs or, if not, what takes its place.

Noticed that the Conformity sign at the old Auto Werks sight has changed yet again - more specific now, indicating retail and restaurant. Guess the studies indicated the best uses?

Plaza Vu is moving right along - footers and rebar visible, as well as curbing.

Morningside is moving slowly again, there's quite a bit of pipe on site now, so maybe they're about to start wet utilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I am excited to report that one of the great vacant small storefronts directly across from the new White Rabbit near Intermezzo is coming to life! "Retro Eye Candy" a vintage clothing boutique is going to open there. Extending the walkable retail district down beyond Pecan with locally owned stores is just what Charlotte needs more of! That intersection could create it's own vibe like Central&Thomas eventually.

I also think the store will do well.

Anyone know what is going on with the old Duron paint store beside Snug Harbor? I walked over there this weekend because I saw large steel beams sticking out. The building only has 3 sides standing and no roof. There is framework that looks to be an expansion. Anyone have any info?

And what about "Sol" the bar that was supposed to open above the former Lotus?