Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

First post! I have a few items to contribute:

Haven't been by it, but I believe this is the site that Paul Zarbatany is developing with property owner Tom Simpson. Paul developed Elizabeth Place at Clarice and 9th. Should be very nice.

I noticed that the sign for the Hamorton place has been taken down and replaced with a "For Rent" sign from Simpson Properties. The website is still up though. I guess it's done for?

Also of note, I talked to Roger at Zada Jane's last week and he was talking about adding more low-cost items to the dinner menu. Although the dinner food is currently fantastic!

Finally, Pete and Alan at American Beauty Garden Center are currently talking about putting together a food co-op to purchase vegtables directly from local organic farms and fruit from the Asheville area. Head over to the website or their google groups page and let them know if you are interested, I know I am! ABGC Website

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went on a little walking tour of the neighborhood on Wednesday. Here are some images of the Duron building construction. There is a sign on the Sherwinn Williams building across Pecan that says something about a temporary location. Could S.W. be moving into the Duron building? I cant read the permit numbers attached to the fence.

PICT0624.jpg

PICT0622.jpg

PICT0625.jpg

PICT0634.jpg

To see the rest of the photos from my walk, Click Here. There are quite a few houses that are being built or remodeled in the area. Morningside has been a pretty large catalyst along Commonwealth. I think the aparment demolition was the hope these neighbors were looking for to start their own projects.

Enjoy!

I went on a little walking tour of the neighborhood on Wednesday. Here are some images of the Duron building construction. There is a sign on the Sherwinn Williams building across Pecan that says something about a temporary location. Could S.W. be moving into the Duron building? I cant read the permit numbers attached to the fence.

PICT0624.jpg

PICT0622.jpg

PICT0625.jpg

PICT0634.jpg

To see the rest of the photos from my walk, Click Here. There are quite a few houses that are being built or remodeled in the area. Morningside has been a pretty large catalyst along Commonwealth. I think the aparment demolition was the hope these neighbors were looking for to start their own projects.

Enjoy!

Sherwin Williams will be relocate into the newly remodeled former Duron building.

I just heard from a pretty reliable source that Industry29 may not be so dead. It seems they are planning to start on the 2 buildings farthest from the street first and then move forward. Word on the street is that the builder was having financing issues to start construction, but now has a private investor to help out.

I am hopeful that this project gets off the ground. My only hesitation has always been the price, no one has paid $300K for a condo in this neighborhood (Except for Central27, if they have sold all the two bedrooms @ $295K). I wonder what effects this will have on the rest of the hood, especially Morningside Village's price point. The houses on Commonwealth are already starting to climb pretty fast. The two new ones that are pictured in my walking tour are listed at $450K each.

I just heard from a pretty reliable source that Industry29 may not be so dead. It seems they are planning to start on the 2 buildings farthest from the street first and then move forward. Word on the street is that the builder was having financing issues to start construction, but now has a private investor to help out. I am hopeful that this project gets off the ground. My only hesitation has always been the price, no one has paid $300K for a condo in this neighborhood (Except for Central27, if they have sold all the two bedrooms @ $295K). I wonder what effects this will have on the rest of the hood, especially Morningside Village's price point. The houses on Commonwealth are already starting to climb pretty fast. The two new ones that are pictured in my walking tour are listed at $450K each.
Glad to hear THAT! From what we'd heard, putting 2 + 2 together, sounded like it'd never get built. We'd love to be able to put one of our new Commonwealth Park signs @ his location there (once construction is finished so it's not damaged), partic. since he was a major contributor to the sign project. That next strip down CW Ave, just east of Briar Creek Rd to Woodland, is gonna be one of the next micro-'Big Thing' spots........with the two problem hotels getting shut down in May (by order of the Feds), we're hoping a decent developer will recognize the value of the 'Corridor of Crap' in front of WTVI while a lot of it's up for sale now & the price is still a steal. May require some creativity to partner w/ Storm Water Services (b/c of the floodplain issue along ther creek), making some sort of mixed-use / open space-greenway collaboration. That'd be cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, I went on my weekly pilgrimage to Century Vintage in PM. The store has awesome funky clothes and furnishings at great prices. The owner was there and was encouraging people to buy as much as they could because the rent was due Monday and both time and money are running short. She is eccentric (which is what makes the store so great) so I hope it's not THAT serious. Aside from the retail space the back of the store hosts great local bands and neighborhood artists also sell there. The place embodies what is fun and unique about PlazaMidwood, so please shop and support them!

Also, I heard yesterday that one of the tenants in the Gay Community Center's former home will be an Einstein's Bagel....hardly exciting news <_< they will most likely do well and it's slightly outside of the PM"s commercial heart which is refreshingly non-chain oriented. I hope Einstein's does not hurt Nova much. Although the niches are so different. And Novas has a great rep and large folllowing so hopefully the impact will not be too bad.

Also, I heard yesterday that one of the tenants in the Gay Community Center's former home will be an Einstein's Bagel....hardly exciting news <_< they will most likely do well and it's slightly outside of the PM"s commercial heart which is refreshingly non-chain oriented. I hope Einstein's does not hurt Nova much. Although the niches are so different. And Novas has a great rep and large folllowing so hopefully the impact will not be too bad.

I was actually just thinking the other day of how there's not a bagel shop near PM. I love Nova's to death but bagels are not their specialty. I find that Einstein's bagels in general are less than impressive though. I just got spoiled having 3 bagel shops near where I used to live....

Edited by rebeljen

With 1101 Central converting to two restaurants as we speak, the connectivity between the 5-points area and the Plaza area is happening at a faster pace than I expected. The street car is now back on the table which will make this one of the most exciting avenues in the city.

With 1101 Central converting to two restaurants as we speak, the connectivity between the 5-points area and the Plaza area is happening at a faster pace than I expected. The street car is now back on the table which will make this one of the most exciting avenues in the city.

Did I miss something on here? What is the story with 1101? I dont recall hearing about two new restaurants. Any word on the former Lotus and proposed "Sol" upstairs?

I would love to see something better come out of the HUGE parcel that contains the Family Dollar strip mall and some other small buildings. This is a prime spot for something really cool in the area. Talk about helping close the gap between PM and 5 Points. That would be great. If it sits long enough tho, we may end up with some type of mixed use village, which could go either way at that point. It could end up being something totally unbecomming of the neighborhood.

Per my neighborhood forum (dont necessarily count this as true):

I just found out and am very excited.

It will be two floors, with the upstairs being a Global Tapas/Sushi

Restaurant/Lounge and the bottom floor an art gallery, that will

happily serve wine.

Right now they are scheduled to open in early July.

(Me now) I think this is sweet! I have been waiting for SOL to open for some time now. I live walking distance to the area and I will surely frequent anything that comes online (and I do mean anything). I enjoy the vibe and I think that (as trendy as it may be getting, why combat it, its going to happen) any restaurants that open will be welcome with open arms, at least by me. I would love to see more retail around here tho. I would love to see more antiques, clothing, art galleries, etc in this area. NoDa has gotten a lot of new things lately and shortly to come. PM can definitely keep up the pace with NoDa, there is still affordable property around here (very little, but it does exist). NoDa has gotten a little big for its britches, that area is still a little scary to Charlotte natives, especially for half million dollar homes.

I've been riding by there (former Lotus Store) and it appears they will be adding a deck on the side of the building. I know this was the plan several years ago when another venture was proposed for upstairs, I'm sure the views of downtown will be spectacular.

I've been riding by there (former Lotus Store) and it appears they will be adding a deck on the side of the building. I know this was the plan several years ago when another venture was proposed for upstairs, I'm sure the views of downtown will be spectacular.

when did the steeple lounge close?

• 3 weeks later...

To all who came out for the Krawl on Saturday night, thank you. I thought it was a tremendous success and highlighted the great potential for Central and the Plaza as to being one of the better urban experiences in the city. I thought it was well organized and and made for a great evening. I wish Central was a little easier to cross and had more of a fell like Davidon Street, but that's minor. I look forward to the next one. :rolleyes:

I am beginning to like the krawls in PM better than the crawl in NoDa ^_^ I have been to the last two events and the energy is fabulous. I wish those sidewalks could be that packed every day! It just feels so "big city" and fun! NoDa's is great too but I like having more places to wander and PlazaMidwood offers more of that.

Edited by voyager12

I have lived in the PM area for many years and I hate it when I go to an event like the Krawl and know lost buildings would be used today. The Wachovia on Central, aka First Union destroyed the old Plaza theater, which had a great modern design and a fabulous Art Deco sign, that would be our neighborhood theater today. That and other buildings is why I don't bank with them, (as if they care) but those missing teeth on the street scene is what I'm most critical of Charlotte about.

• 2 weeks later...

An update on the old Louts (Urban Evolution)/Perch location.

Soul (maybe Sol) will be located upstairs, which will be a bar/lounge from the owner of Cosmos/Forum. Downstairs will be an art gallery/wine bar from the guy that owns Ace Custom Tattoo on Thomas St.

From yesterday.

The Vyne, the first building is nearing completion.

post-1289-1214749194_thumb.jpg

Woodfield Elizabeth is also nearing completion. These are from the corner of Lamar and Sunnyside.

post-1289-1214749273_thumb.jpg

post-1289-1214749287_thumb.jpg

Lastly, I'm not sure anyone has posted a completed picture of Steelhaus. I can't believe this is in Charlotte.

post-1289-1214749355_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I recently moved to the area and I am trying to figure out what the project is going down Kings St towards Moorehead (digging up massive rocks) and also what the project is at the corner of Kings/Central and 7th. Again, sorry if this has already been discussed.