Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparantly the Mechanical Contractors warehouse/office on Lamar behind Woodfield's new apartment complex is under contract. Anyone know the buyer?

We had it under contract for a while but we had to let it go. I am not at liberty to say who has it now...but it is not a familiar name to this group...and I would speculate that they are not likely to perform.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going on with the Charlotte Auto Spa on Central next to the DQ. The sign says "Now Open" yet I have not seen anything going on there for quite some time. I thought it was because of the water restrictions, but places like Auto Bell and other car washes are still operating. It seems like a valuable piece of land to just sit there.

Does anyone know what is going on with the Charlotte Auto Spa on Central next to the DQ. The sign says "Now Open" yet I have not seen anything going on there for quite some time. I thought it was because of the water restrictions, but places like Auto Bell and other car washes are still operating. It seems like a valuable piece of land to just sit there.

I drive by this spot daily and have yet to see the car wash in operation. The sign has puzzled me also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Now that the 1401 central ave building is nearing exterior completion and work is beginning on the inside, does anyone have the names of any tenants moving in? I heard that a coffee shop was moving in on the top floor, but I have not heard anything in a while. I was curious if anyone knew of actual tenants that are going to move in.

That is a shame. I thought those were at a decent enough price point to withstand the souring economy. I definitely thought it was going to help Plaza Midwood.

Price point right now seems to be largely irrelevant. Buyers in general either feel they can't get financing or that now is just not the time to make a large investment. Even the best of homes and projects are sitting still as everyone waits on the sideline to see what happens next. Typical stuff when people are scared, nervous, and concerned about the overall economy.

I had talked to the owner before they sold and he had mentioned that someone came to his building and offered him a deal he could not refuse. He had mentioned that they might tear it down, which he was sad to hear, but he said the price was too good to turn down. He was not sure what they were going to put there. Very sad to see that house go down, it was built in 1903.

What?! Are you serious? That house had historic value. Man this sucks.

Did I miss the post that said the Antiques Kingdom House at the Central Ave/Independence bridge was going to be demolished? Because it's rubble now.

holy crap! THAT'S all the dust I saw flowing over Central Ave. today. I have a view at work looking more-or-less down central towards the bridge, house just out of view, but I couldn't tell what the commotion was. Of COURSE it had to go, it had too much character.

I'm sad for that house, but I've long envied that parcel....what an amazing view.

The buyer of the property was the Charlotte Metro Credit Union next door. I'm not sure what they have in mind, as it is adjacent to their HQ.

Sorry for the sarcasm, but can you say parking lot? I know one thing they better have plans for a beautiful building there. For those that don't know the Antique Kingdom was a fabulous place that had great antiques in a three story old home. The front rooms sported stain glass and there was heavy trim in the dining room. How much the view towards downtown changed from those windows over 100 years. Just like the great little stores in old homes on 7th it is gone, and isn't the "Great Charlotte" so much better now? Sell your souls folks, that's all that matters..................icon7.gif

OTOH, this site has good skyline views. So then, one could expect dense urban housing akin to what's at the Hawthorne bridge to hopefully be built here. Plus, with added rooftops comes added pressures for more of Central to fill in the gaps between its re-emerging five-points node and here, for a vibrant corridor stretching all the way from Uptown to The Plaza.

Riding the bus to work this morning, I thought I saw surface parking or a new asphalt pad behind the straw closer to Central. I think the straw or future grass may be a by-product of the PED-overlay district similar to the split-rail-fenced corral in front of The Plaza Teeter. IOW, you can still do surface parking in PED, it just can't dominate your street frontage. Sadly, I guess this lot will only see limited vibrancy for fireworks-viewing and Memorial Stadium tailgating, instead of any urban residential capitalizing on perhaps the most commonly photographed angle of Charlotte's skyline.