Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Riding the bus to work this morning, I thought I saw surface parking or a new asphalt pad behind the straw closer to Central. I think the straw or future grass may be a by-product of the PED-overlay district similar to the split-rail-fenced corral in front of The Plaza Teeter. IOW, you can still do surface parking in PED, it just can't dominate your street frontage. Sadly, I guess this lot will only see limited vibrancy for fireworks-viewing and Memorial Stadium tailgating, instead of any urban residential capitalizing on perhaps the most commonly photographed angle of Charlotte's skyline.

If I am thinking of the lot you are talking about, that was the Antique Kingdom parking lot. There were two different structures to Antique Kingdom, which were both taken down and there was a parking lot in between them.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While attempting to check out in the incredibly overcrowded PM Harris-Teeter yesterday evening (Did they forecast snow?? Everybody and his brother was at that grocery store!) I was discussing with the manager that they really need to do something to improve that particular store. He said that H-T had plans in place to do a major expansion/renovation but that the City of Charlotte nixed them because they consider the building a landmark. Excuse me? Please tell me that's NOT the case. Charlotte has allowed countless ACTUAL landmarks to be torn down and plowed under over the years but they won't let Harris-Teeter change the woefully inadequate building?! Does anyone know what, if any, truth there is to this?

While attempting to check out in the incredibly overcrowded PM Harris-Teeter yesterday evening (Did they forecast snow?? Everybody and his brother was at that grocery store!) I was discussing with the manager that they really need to do something to improve that particular store. He said that H-T had plans in place to do a major expansion/renovation but that the City of Charlotte nixed them because they consider the building a landmark. Excuse me? Please tell me that's NOT the case. Charlotte has allowed countless ACTUAL landmarks to be torn down and plowed under over the years but they won't let Harris-Teeter change the woefully inadequate building?! Does anyone know what, if any, truth there is to this?

The only reason I could think it would be considered a landmark is because it was the first ever H-T store. I have no idea if it is actually a designated landmark, but I do know it was the first HT store.

There was once an article stating that HT would upgrade that store to better compete with Whole Foods. We all know that WF ditched the Elizabeth for greener pastures in South Park, so my guess is that HT is back to its monopoly status and not interested in investing that money.

I'm Trader Joes will pull in some of the Plaza-Midwood and Elizabeth people, but their store designs are spartan to say the least, so HT wouldn't need to do much to compete other than to maybe lower their prices on certain competitive product.

When I first moved to First Ward, before HT came uptown, we were equidistant to both this one and the Dilworth one. We chose to use the Dilworth one because it is a much nicer store. Now, we use the uptown HT and Trader Joes. (I want to support Reids, but it really doesn't serve the Fine Foods niche as much as it ought).

The only reason I could think it would be considered a landmark is because it was the first ever H-T store. I have no idea if it is actually a designated landmark, but I do know it was the first HT store.

It is store #1, but the original location was a couple of blocks west.

Edited by teeg

You are probably correct, I just saw on Wikipedia that it was the first store and that it was still in operation today. It seems a bit more modern than what would have been built in 1932. Was it originally built where the family dollar is today?

its not the first location, its technically 2nd location. This was the relocation from the original location. Exactly where the first location was is not known to me however, it was only a block or so away on central I know for sure.

A local history book claims the very first Teeter was actually in that tiny tatoo parlor space just one door east of Pecan and Central.

We've gotten a little off topic; but, the original Harris Supermarket was located at 1508 Central Ave. W.T. Harris opened the store (circa 1936) when A&P moved out of the space to open their new store at 1426 Central Ave. Harris Supermarkets and Teeter's Food Mart of Mooresville officially merged 2/1/60. The current building now occupied by Harris Teeter wasn't built until 1950. This and the entire history of grocery stores in Charlotte is online at groceteria.com

I know I asked this question a few months ago, but I have noticed that someone bought the property the Charlotte Auto Spa on Central Ave is on in August. Does anyone know if there are any intentions with actually doing something with this or are they just going to leave it as is for the time being.

Also does anyone know what they are doing with the building at 5 points between Intermezzo and the White Rabbit.? I see they built a cinder block retaining wall and i saw people working on the roof a few weeks ago.

Don't know about the former but the latter is an architecture firm. I asked at The White Rabbit last time I was there. Dissapointing. That spot would be a great space for another local laid back restaurant/bar to compliment Intermezzo. The intersection is doing better but it needs another boost.

i don't know how long the sign has been up, but the old convenient store next to white rabbit is becoming an icecream/coffee place.

I know I asked this question a few months ago, but I have noticed that someone bought the property the Charlotte Auto Spa on Central Ave is on in August. Does anyone know if there are any intentions with actually doing something with this or are they just going to leave it as is for the time being.

Also does anyone know what they are doing with the building at 5 points between Intermezzo and the White Rabbit.? I see they built a cinder block retaining wall and i saw people working on the roof a few weeks ago.

The point lot is owned by an entity controlled by Carrie Gault, a principal in Laughing Dog Studios Architecture. I would guess their offices end up there.

about the old central five ways mart...it's correct that the coming soon sign has been up for around a year, but there actually has been some progress the last two weeks.

we really need some more action at this intersection. a little bit further down central closer to hawthorne I think they are working on another restaurant spot. Expect more to come as residents fill the new apartments on hawthorne

retail/restaurant follow residents even in a down economy...especially those living in Elizabeth with fat wallets in nice apartments

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else noticed the windows that are being put in on that end unit in the Family Dollar shopping center? It's the unit that is closest to Central, and there are about 5 holes for windows on the Central side, and then I saw another one being put in on the side facing uptown. I imagine its a pretty nice skyline view from that spot. Anybody have any insight on what will be going in that location? I'm hoping it will be a new restaraunt, how nice that would be!!

Also, any news on what will be going into that newly renovated building on Central across from Family Dollar, the green one? I had heard a Starbucks or Einstein's Bagel a long time ago, but with no signs up yet, I'm beginning to think they are having trouble leasing it out to anyone at all :(

Has anyone else noticed the windows that are being put in on that end unit in the Family Dollar shopping center? It's the unit that is closest to Central, and there are about 5 holes for windows on the Central side, and then I saw another one being put in on the side facing uptown. I imagine its a pretty nice skyline view from that spot. Anybody have any insight on what will be going in that location? I'm hoping it will be a new restaraunt, how nice that would be!!

Also, any news on what will be going into that newly renovated building on Central across from Family Dollar, the green one? I had heard a Starbucks or Einstein's Bagel a long time ago, but with no signs up yet, I'm beginning to think they are having trouble leasing it out to anyone at all :(

yeah i did notice that. since they're adding windows they obviously aren't tearing down that strip mall anytime soon, i'd love to see the rest of it get renovated for some nicer businesses as the end unit is, and maybe the parking lot could eventually be built over.

i met the guy that is leasing those spaces in the green building while at dairy queen a few months ago, and i think he already had two tenants (i didn't get the details). i doubt that spot will have any trouble attracting something good, it looks like a great addition to central.

Edited by nonillogical

Oh good to hear that at least 2 tenants have signed up for the green building. I guess I am getting a little impatient, I really hope we get something good there!!

As far as the Family Dollar site, I would much rather see the whole thing torn down and new pedestrian friendly shops/restaraunts be built, but since there is no chance of that happening for a while, it is nice to see that somebody is taking the time to make it nicer for now... even if it is just that one unit. Hopefully if it turns out good, it could spur on other businesses to utilize that shopping center as well. Wishful thinking, I know :)

Does anyone know about the restaurant going in at 1101 central ave. I noticed they just put a sign out front indicating the name (which i cant recall of the top of my head), but when you go to the website, it mentions opening in spring 2008. I was curious if this was still going to happen considering the building was for lease until recently.

Does anyone know about the restaurant going in at 1101 central ave. I noticed they just put a sign out front indicating the name (which i cant recall of the top of my head), but when you go to the website, it mentions opening in spring 2008. I was curious if this was still going to happen considering the building was for lease until recently.

You must be talking about Common House. Looks like it will open in Jan 2009 because the big Rockhouse Events NYE party will be held there this year and will serve as the restaraunt's grand-opening. The party used to be held at Hawthorne's Pizza in Elizabeth, and same guy that owns Hawthorne's owns Common House. I also found this article that gives a litte more detail about the site, it appears that there will be 2 restaraunts in that building, but no details yet about the second one....

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...ewscolumn3.html

(Scroll down to the section titled, "Makeover for Central Ave. building")

Branding, international corridor, and Starbucks vs. local:

About 60 people showed up at a meeting at the Museum of the New South to talk about branding and identity along Central Avenue.

Mary Newsom writes about the meeting at The Naked City, and links to a survey by CharlotteEast asking residents what they think.

What do y'all think? Is local better than Starbucks? Are people afraid of an "international corridor?"

The link to The Naked City:

http://www.marynewsom.blogspot.com/

So basically the comments can be summarized by saying, "we want to have the same stuff that Dilworth has."

--

Actually, after I read into this some more, I see that its talking about more than the downtown area at Central & The Plaza. Its talking about the identity all along Central Ave out to Eastland Mall.

I think that labeling it an international corridor is fine, but it won't change whats out there. People have a less-than-positive connotation with Central Avenue, east of Plaza-Midwood. Giving it some sort of marketing gimmick probably won't improve the situation. Its going to take larger demographic shifts to change what exists on that street.

While I wish East Blvd was more "local" there is still a decent mix of chain and independents and most do well on this side of town if they focus on the right niche. I love Dilworth but the Eastside definitely has a less snotty generic vibe than the Southside. I am glad there is an effort to preserve this uniqueness, from PlazaMidwood's funky character to the great Asian and Latin American restaurants there is a great deal to promote and support along Central Ave.