Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

The only thing stopping Teeter is the pedscape plan...and this dreadful economy.

The Ped Overlay will turn this Teeter into one with deck parking and mixed use. If they hadn't hesitated to redevelop sooner, they wouldn't be facing the current economy. And mixed use still works on this site. It's just now more likely apartments than condos.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Morningside appears to be dead, or at least in deep hibernation. I've heard that Post has pulled out and site work certainly seems to have ceased. Anyone have any real knowledge on the status?

The meltdown in the real estate market that sandbagged Morningside was not predictable back in the halcyon days when this new "village" was proposed. All the same, it's a shame that what used to be affordable housing, albeit old but not a problem complex is now a dirt pit. I can't imagine that CW/MS residents are happy backing up to a dead zone. In the longrun the project will be restarted, the overall area has enduring popularity and the right mix to make it a success when the economy wakes up again.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone here who can chime in on their thoughts about central 27? Ideally, someone who has lived there or knows someone who has. I'm actually thinking about moving into one of the units fairly soon. Seemed pretty nice when I checked them out, but I'm not very familiar with it's short history and reputation.

Great location, cool garage door front that opens up. They had most of them sold prior to completion, then brilliantly raised the prices and buyers dropped out -- then the market crashed and sales have pretty much stopped. Nothing really 'wrong' with the project other than timing. I'd say see if they'll give you the deal they should if you like them and want to buy. If you are familiar with the Central / Thomas Street area and like the vibe you can't beat where they are.

Great location, cool garage door front that opens up. They had most of them sold prior to completion, then brilliantly raised the prices and buyers dropped out -- then the market crashed and sales have pretty much stopped. Nothing really 'wrong' with the project other than timing. I'd say see if they'll give you the deal they should if you like them and want to buy. If you are familiar with the Central / Thomas Street area and like the vibe you can't beat where they are.

Well, right now they are offering rentals of several units for fairly cheap. I'm not in the market of buying anything for another few years, so it's looking like a pretty good idea. I'm very familiar with thomas st, and love the area. Me and my girlfriend visit often and think it would be a really fun place to live for a year or two and maybe look at buying options in the future. We have already pretty much been approved, just thought I would get some outside opinions before taping up the boxes.

• 5 weeks later...

Driving by this weekend I thought I noticed a lighted sign on the second floor of the former gay community center. Went by too fast to get a good look, but I thought it said "cafe" and something else. Anyone know more details?

Also, looks like real progress is being made on the coffee shop across from The Rutzler at the corners intersection.

The neon sign says "Weesie's Home Care." Don't know if that's for hospice or cleaning. Also on that site, a building permit is posted for the side space, which supposedly was marketed to coffeehouse/bar/restaurant. Maybe there is a new lease if they're going to the trouble of what looks like a tenant finish for a food-service-type place.

And did anyone else hear about a soft opening for "Soul?"

The neon sign says "Weesie's Home Care." Don't know if that's for hospice or cleaning. Also on that site, a building permit is posted for the side space, which supposedly was marketed to coffeehouse/bar/restaurant. Maybe there is a new lease if they're going to the trouble of what looks like a tenant finish for a food-service-type place.

And did anyone else hear about a soft opening for "Soul?"

I have not but I'll be down there this evening and I can see what's what.

The long aborning coffee house across from the Rutzler near Central has a banner up! "Central Coffee Co". Looks like something is really happening. Hopefully it will come online soon and be a great addition to Intermezzo and Common House.

I called them yesterday, and was told they hope to open in about 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Soul last night finally. I saw the place when the upfit was in progress. This is a very nice addition to PM. The food was great (Greek Cheese Special was a little greasy, but still good) and the service was comparable to that of high end chain. I live just down the street so I have frequented every establishment within walking distance to Thomas Ave. Most of the servers in the area seem to just "hang out" instead of following the regimented rules expected in a popular franchise. My server actually offered great suggestions without being asked. :-) All in all, I loved the place and will return often. My only critical comment is directed at the customers: This is not necessarily a dinner destination, this is more of the "grab a light bite and some drinks while being seen" type of joint. This is totally fine with me, they have the "chill 'N nibble" crowd on lock! I love the place already and will certainly return.

One Question: What the heck is 917 Central..........please, someone tell me this is as cool as it looks!

Central Coffee @ the corners X was open this AM when I rolled by! Will stop by this week and report back unless someone else beats me to it...

Went to Central Coffee this morning. The inside was nice and the coffee was good. There's a nice sitting area in the back with a gas fireplace. It could use some art work on the walls and a little music but I'm sure those things will come. They do have free wi-fi which I love. The owner has chipped away at some of the plaster leaving a great wall of the exposed original brick. Overall, it was a nice place and I'm glad we have a local coffee shop in the neighborhood.

The meltdown in the real estate market that sandbagged Morningside was not predictable back in the halcyon days when this new "village" was proposed. All the same, it's a shame that what used to be affordable housing, albeit old but not a problem complex is now a dirt pit. I can't imagine that CW/MS residents are happy backing up to a dead zone. In the longrun the project will be restarted, the overall area has enduring popularity and the right mix to make it a success when the economy wakes up again.

Like everybody else nearby, I sure would like to know what's gonna happen w/ Morningside Village........so, I just flat-out e-mailed one of the developers. (Sorry, Rob, if you're lurking on this site & for some reason didn't want me speaking out-of-turn, but my impression was it's no secret.) To my surprise he says the future is totally up in the air; no hint of what's next whenever the economy gets more promising. I say "to my surprise" b/c it seems that, after all the work done to re-develop the site so far --- clearing, grading, streets, C&G, etc. --- SURELY it'll move ahead as planned. But no hint of that at all. I just find it too hard to believe it'll never move ahead as planned, albeit a couple years behind schedule. As if I know more than the developers do! :) I guess my greatest concern is that it'll get sold off & what we get will be a very disappointing version of what we thought. But they got the rezoning based on a very strictly-defined Site Plan; they can't do that....can they?? Note to Morningside neighbors: keep a close eye on progress when it finally comes --- as Reagan said, trust but verify.

Went to Central Coffee this morning. The inside was nice and the coffee was good. There's a nice sitting area in the back with a gas fireplace. It could use some art work on the walls and a little music but I'm sure those things will come. They do have free wi-fi which I love. The owner has chipped away at some of the plaster leaving a great wall of the exposed original brick. Overall, it was a nice place and I'm glad we have a local coffee shop in the neighborhood.

I finally got to check this place out. They had music playing when I went. Unfortunately it was a nice day and we wanted to sit outside. They didn't really have any outdoor seating. All in all a great addition to Plaza Midwood. I do hope they add some outdoor seating though. That's one of the main draws with the Caribou on East Blvd.

New sign up at the 1401 complex on central. Central Cafe and Bar appears to be going in on the bottom floor. The upstairs is still just a wide open space with carpet. Does anyone know anything about this?

Also noticed the street sign went up for Twenty-two.

Edited by richmondgolf

• 3 weeks later...