Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Two questions...

Anyone have any info on the Fresh Produce building? Thats the green building across the street from Thomas Street Tavern. It once housed a clothing store called Fresh Produce. Anyone know the owner? Rent amount?

I also noticed a bulldozer taking out the "Sonic" place on Central Ave beside the Dairy Queen...anyone know if there are any plans for this lot?

BTW- I would love to see a Lang Van type place in the former Creation spot. This was mentioned in the "Good New Restaurants" thread.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Work is going on inside the former Creation space today.....anybody know what's up?

The last I have heard is that it is going to be an american type restaurant / bar.

Besides that space there are three other new restaurants/bars to note.

Twenty-two is now open on the corner of Pecan and Central on the bottom floor. It is a mixture of an art gallery and a bar. Nice art, wine, and beer. I really liked the design of the place.

A restaurant named Cuban Pete's is set to open in the old Graduate space. Looking forward to some fried plantains.

The last space I noticed is a new Mexican restaurant going in next to Common House on Central.

This seems like a good number of spaces opening in the Plaza-Midwood area. No complaints by me, just hope we can sustain them

Looks like Braswell's will be moving into Creation. I had heard this from a neighbor. Then my wife noticed this on craiglist.

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/fbh/1440161935.html

I have only been to Braswell's on Montford once. The biggest appeal was the nice back porch. Considering the Creation spot does not have a porch, I am guessing they will have to rely on their food quality and beer prices. I will definitely give it a try.

At least this spot flipped quickly.

My guess would be that this will be a 2nd location. I can't imagine them leaving the Montford spot already - especially with that great back porch. Didn't this place just open a few months ago on Montford?

It's gotta be a second location. I assume the one Montford is doing well. I know quite a few people that frequent that location.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction on a 2nd building for Woodfield Elizabeth Apartments should be imminent (before the end of the year). The new building will be similar in scale, and located on the same side of Hawthorne as the existing/recently completed apartments, but on the opposite side of Sunnyside (between Sunnyside and the buildings fronting Central Ave)

• 3 weeks later...

Whiskey Warehouse looks about ready to open. Tables and chairs are setup, signs are in place, video games are on, etc. I've heard good things about this place...stoked to see what it's all about. Could be a great addition to the already stellar lineup in Plaza-Midwood.

Anyone know when Jackalop Jack's is gonna start their move to PM?

Whiskey Warehouse looks about ready to open. Tables and chairs are setup, signs are in place, video games are on, etc. I've heard good things about this place...stoked to see what it's all about. Could be a great addition to the already stellar lineup in Plaza-Midwood.

Anyone know when Jackalop Jack's is gonna start their move to PM?

I asked one of the bartenders at Jackalope's about their move. He gave me the impression that the project that was forcing them out was not moving forward. Thus they will be keeping their current location. However, I was told the owner most likely will be putting some kind of bar/restaurant in the building that he owns on pecan.

I think that old church could make for a pretty nice bar/restaurant. Was really excited about Jackalope's moving there...but anything similar would be great.

Apparently I was the last person on the planet to hear about Whiskey Warehouse, but for anyone else that hasn't...here is another tidbit. Per Creative Loafing, "...they'll have Jack on tap and a Jack & Coke Slurpee machine".

I made it in to Whiskey Warehouse on Wednesday. It was pretty packed. I think it just opened that day or the day prior. Really, really cool vibe in this place. Very modern interior, nice large bar, a cool little lounge area, video games and whatnot, lots of tables and space, and 10 large plasmas with sports on.

I didn't stay long, just grabbed an appetizer (steak kabobs) and a beer. My app was really good, and the menu as a whole looked pretty impressive. Kind of an 'upscale' version of some classics was my impression. Didn't try the Jack & Coke Slurpee...but they definitely weren't lying about the whiskey warehouse thing. They've got cases and cases of whiskey stacked up on one wall as decoration/reserves.

After just one visit to Creation, I knew it was going to fail.

After just one visit to Whiskey Warehouse, I know it's going to be a huge hit.

This will undoubtedly become one of the signature bar crawl stops in Plaza Midwood. Very glad to see a quality restaurant open in that space!

(On a semi-related note...I wish all of the owners would come together and pave that back/side parking lot. I could see it being a main walk-through for people from Whiskey Warehouse to the bars on Thomas Street. It's actually kind of a cool vibe there already at night, since you sort of walk along the border of TTT's back patio. I'd think encouraging traffic through there - and improving the parking - would be good for all).

I heard a rumor last night that Zada Jane's is really struggling and is going to close. I certainly hope that's not the case. I love their food and quirky atmosphere we don't have enough places like it.

This is one of my favorite local quirky spots in Charlotte. I honestly haven't been there in a few months, but every time I've been, I have had to wait for a seat at lunch whether it's a weekday or weekend. I really hope this place survives.

Zada Janes - I also hope it's just a rumor that it may close. While the service there is and always has been painfully slow, I like the food and I think the place adds to our neighborhood. I'm especially a fan of their breakfasts!

Whisky Warehouse - Ate there for dinner New Year's Eve. We chose it because it was close by, quick, and relatively cheap eating, but I was underwhelmed to say the least. In its defense I will admit right off the bat that I'm NOT a sports bar/restaurant kind of person so in all fairness I have to factor that in. (Sorry, but I don't want to sit in a restaurant and try to eat a meal while loud hip-hop and/or rock music blares on the speakers and 10 television screens show 10 different athletic events of one type of another. Sensory overload for me.) As for the food, it was some of the most flavor-free eating I can recall. I agree with the opinions that this place looks and feels like a generic chain - nothing special, nothing great, nothing to write home about, which is precisely why it will probably make a fortune and be a huge success.

Edited by PlazaMidwoodGuy

I seriously doubt that ZJs would close, from what friends of mine have said in the neighborhood, there is always a line, and its always slammed packed. This morning one of my friends had to go eat elsewhere because there was an hour wait to get in.