Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I asked the owner of Zada Jane's if he new anything about the space, he said that there would be a bohemian restaurant going in that space. I don't know if that means it is going to be a gypsy style place or a Czech place or a what. Hopefully we will see soon.

With this place opening that will take the list of Plaza Midwood restaurants/places to get food to 24.

An Indian restaurant in the area would sure help with the international choices.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove by today and noticed the Luxe sign was down and a "For Lease" sign was up. Checked their website and it appears they have moved to NoDa. Seems like they spent a good amount of money and bailed.

That stinks, I was looking forward to the place. From a business stand point, I don't know the benefits of being in NODA vs. PM. Living in PM, I am partial.

I asked the owner of Zada Jane's if he new anything about the space, he said that there would be a bohemian restaurant going in that space. I don't know if that means it is going to be a gypsy style place or a Czech place or a what. Hopefully we will see soon.

With this place opening that will take the list of Plaza Midwood restaurants/places to get food to 24.

Intermezzo

Central Coffee

Common House

Loco Lime

Rib Palace

Something Classic

Cafe Central

Dairy Queen

Luxe

Soul

Fuel

Mama's Carribean Grill

Sammy's

Diamond

John's Country Kitchen

Zada Janes

Thomas Street Tavern

Dish

The Penguin

Common Market

Whiskey Warehouse

Cuban Petes

Hong Kong

Subway

LULU

McDonalds?

It us surprising that there are no Thai or Indian restaurants in the area yet. Any body optimistic about that?

That stinks, I was looking forward to the place. From a business stand point, I don't know the benefits of being in NODA vs. PM. Living in PM, I am partial.

well, i think this place COULD succeed in either neighborhood depending on the price, but it will do much better in the Fat City Lofts building than it would have next to a Family Dollar and alterations place. I'm sure something cool will eventually go in that space, but the 1 block difference between that spot and Pecan-Thomas might as well be a mile in the minds of most people.

• 3 weeks later...

well, i think this place COULD succeed in either neighborhood depending on the price, but it will do much better in the Fat City Lofts building than it would have next to a Family Dollar and alterations place. I'm sure something cool will eventually go in that space, but the 1 block difference between that spot and Pecan-Thomas might as well be a mile in the minds of most people.

I noticed there is a new sign atop the former Luxe building that says "Bistro Le Bon". I haven't found anything online about it, but there is definite work going on there.

I noticed there is a new sign atop the former Luxe building that says "Bistro Le Bon". I haven't found anything online about it, but there is definite work going on there.

Looks like they are trying to fill jobs, http://charlotte.craigslist.org/fbh/1638781039.html

"Hello Wine/Food/Beer Enthusiasts!! We are looking for servers and bartenders to work in Plaza/Midwood's next hot spot. We will be serving new American cuisine with influences from Italy, France, Asia that will that will be showcased on a variety of small plates paired with an extensive and eclectic glass wine and craft beer list. We are almost finished with our construction and hope to earn our final permits next week. Assuming all goes well we will look to have interviews next week and open ASAP. " - posted on craigslist 3/11/2010

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they are trying to fill jobs, http://charlotte.cra...1638781039.html

"Hello Wine/Food/Beer Enthusiasts!! We are looking for servers and bartenders to work in Plaza/Midwood's next hot spot. We will be serving new American cuisine with influences from Italy, France, Asia that will that will be showcased on a variety of small plates paired with an extensive and eclectic glass wine and craft beer list. We are almost finished with our construction and hope to earn our final permits next week. Assuming all goes well we will look to have interviews next week and open ASAP. " - posted on craigslist 3/11/2010

I noticed that this place is open already. Has anyone had the chance to check it out yet?

Edited by charlottegirl

I noticed that this place is open already. Has anyone had the chance to check it out yet?

Haven't eaten there yet, but the menu is at the counter at Common Market, and it looks great. ALSO, they seem to encourage brown bagging and waive corkage fees with CM receipt.

Haven't eaten there yet, but the menu is at the counter at Common Market, and it looks great. ALSO, they seem to encourage brown bagging and waive corkage fees with CM receipt.

They do not have their alcohol liscence so they allow you to bring in your own beverages for the time being. I was told it will most likely take two weeks. There is a $5 corkage fee if you bring your own alcohol. That fee is waived if you purchase that beverage at CM and bring receipt.

The food is good. Nice atmosphere. Will take a little while to work out some wrinkles, otherwise I feel it will be succesful.

Read on their menu that they will have a Sunday Brunch Buffett for around $12. I am thinking if you can bring your own alcohol that the mid day limit on alcohol sales won't affect you. Could be the only place to drink a Mimosa or a bloody Mary on Sunday before noon.

I heard second hand that construction of the apartments and maybe some of the townhomes is going to begin at Morningside Village in about six months. I am skeptical but then again the second phase of Elizabeth Square apartments has started. No new news on Morningside's website. There was some work going on on Iris near Central. Looks like they are putting in sidewalks maybe? Has anyone heard anything more about this?

If work is going forward, I think there needs to be a strong push by the neighborhood to extend the pedestrian overlay district to Morningside. New high density residential development should encourage some commercial development on Central. Extending the district after the fact won't help much.

Also, regarding the crematorium going in at Lyon and Central - Rob Pressley (Meca Properties / Moringside Village) chimed in against it on the news (Fox or WCNC) but I don't see how it can be stopped at this point. Crematoriums are permitted in B-1 and B-2 zoning (and office zoning) but not expressly permitted in I-1 or I-2 zones, which doesn't seem to make sense given that animal crematoriums are permitted in I-1 and I-2 zones. Anyone following this story and heard anything more?

This whole crematorium issue seems silly. If the local media hadn't gotten a hold of it, I suspect most of the people in that area would have never known it was there.

I think part of this issue is how they found out and that that noone was ever officially notified ahead of time so there was no time to learn the facts about the business and to have their concerns addressed. I can understand people being a little creeped out by having one close by despite the lack of smoke, etc. This place used to be a residence so it backs up to single family homes (separated only by a fence) with relatively small yards (i.e cremations will be going on literally 50-100 feet or so from where someone may be having a back-yard barbecue). Other crematorims in town are in B-1 or B-2 zones close to residences, but I don't know if they are as close to homes. I think the zoning laws should be revised to expressly allow crematoriums in light industrial zones so crematorium owners can at least have the option of operating well away from residential zones. The owner in this case said he would have preferred to be in a light industrical zone. Again, if animal crematoriums are permitted in light industrial and business zones, why not human crematoriums? I think the morminside neighborhood was hoping for new businesses they would like to patronize that serve the neighborhood and enhance property values. Can't blame them for that.

I think part of this issue is how they found out and that that noone was ever officially notified ahead of time so there was no time to learn the facts about the business and to have their concerns addressed. I can understand people being a little creeped out by having one close by despite the lack of smoke, etc. This place used to be a residence so it backs up to single family homes (separated only by a fence) with relatively small yards (i.e cremations will be going on literally 50-100 feet or so from where someone may be having a back-yard barbecue). Other crematorims in town are in B-1 or B-2 zones close to residences, but I don't know if they are as close to homes. I think the zoning laws should be revised to expressly allow crematoriums in light industrial zones so crematorium owners can at least have the option of operating well away from residential zones. The owner in this case said he would have preferred to be in a light industrical zone. Again, if animal crematoriums are permitted in light industrial and business zones, why not human crematoriums? I think the morminside neighborhood was hoping for new businesses they would like to patronize that serve the neighborhood and enhance property values. Can't blame them for that.

Nothing quite as nice as waking in the morning, stepping outside the front door, taking a deep breath and enjoying the aroma of freshly cooked humans. Don't get much better than that.

• 3 weeks later...

The group that owns Penguin and other nearby institutions did buy it. They plan on doing a renovation and go 24/7 but pledge to keep the old character. It's long been a hang out for older more traditional Charlotteans and they are trying not to ruffle the Diamond's longtime regulars feathers.

• 1 month later...

All of these trees are gone.

tuscanpinkribbon.gif

This is the property at the intersection of Central and Briar Creak. I believe at one point it was supposed to be the Tuscany Development.

The work crews have been on the site cutting trees and leveling land for the past two weeks.

Does anyone know what is going on here?

I got the above picture from the Under Oak blog and he has updated photos on a later blog post.

http://underoak.blog...lopment-on.html

Edited by sharkdawg

^Sadly, it's becoming a suburban-looking nursing home. Ideally, Duo could have been urban infill on an urban grid, but Merry Oaks residents fought to keep themselves separated from revitalizing Central Avenue. So now, it's a suburban pod-thing befitting a major thoroughfare developing in isolation from its neighborhood.