Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

^Sadly, it's becoming a suburban-looking nursing home. Ideally, Duo could have been urban infill on an urban grid, but Merry Oaks residents fought to keep themselves separated from revitalizing Central Avenue. So now, it's a suburban pod-thing befitting a major thoroughfare developing in isolation from its neighborhood.

Or Duo could have been an urban infill project only a quarter occupied like the Vyne across the street.... In my opinion, the timing of the development and Vyne on Central was detrimental to their success, as well as the the continuance of low rent housing in the immediate area.

-----------

As for the nursing home, the degree of trees lost is tragic, however any development would have resulted in tree loss from that site. And the city is still pursing connectivity to the Merry Oaks Neighborhood with the new development.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^I heardLounge 917 (near 10th/Louise) is too close to single-family to become a nightclub. Maybe there are others. Plaza-Central has become quite the nightlife district of restaurants and bars.

ah, i always wondered about that place. so its never opened, just sat in that same state for this long? its a shame, doesn't look like the most enticing place but it could help get that node kickstarted alongside intermezzo and central coffee

The gravel parking lot that sits vacant there is a bus drop off area that likely fills up everyday for about 2 hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon. My experience with CMS tells me that it will be HIGHLY unlikely that there will be much room for sharing, no matter how hard up they are for cash.

• 1 month later...

just drove past the salvation army at five points and I noticed that they were clearing out on the corner. I'd imagine that the piece of real estate on the corner is quite valuable - any idea what the plans for the corner are? I'd love to see some more action continue towards plaza midwood. Central has become such an awesome bar crawl. 2nd date with my girlfriend we hit 6 or 7 different bars: common house, soul, twenty-four, cafe central, thirsty beaver, and intermezzo. Now you can throw in the fabulous jalapeno margaritas at Loco Lime, and add in some Bistro la Bon. Now we just need the frame store next to grand central to convert as well as the old napa store (interior renovation recently started but not sure what is happening). I'm hoping that the salvation army is moving, but I haven't heard anything. Elizabeth - PM = fantastic place to live.

;

I saw an ad in Creative Loafing this week (page 35) for "One Love - Smoke Shop and Lifestyle Apparel" at 1041 Central Ave which is the old NAPA place. Interesting since the Tribal Wisdom place just became a smoke shop. Can we support 2? I know the little building beside the Rib Palace was once a short lived smoke shop. Adds to the fabric of the street, i guess.

EDIT: Added a thought. Isn't it odd that a smoke shop would locate right beside the rehab center? That is either poor or genius planning.

Edited by CLTNative

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I saw that as well and was hoping they were moving to make room for a better use (imo) at what appears to me to be a pretty prime location on Central. Unfortunately, according to my wife who was there donating some stuff over the weekend, they are simply remodeling and the Salvation Army store (though temporarily relocated) will be staying put there at least for the foreseeable future. It's a real bummer. That section of Central Ave has such great potential if only some of the outdated commercial space could be redeveloped . I am hopeful that Elizabeth II will result in some of it (like the old Napa Auto parts, the pool supply company, etc.) to convert to restuarant / retail / art galleries / entertainment or similar uses.

just drove past the salvation army at five points and I noticed that they were clearing out on the corner. I'd imagine that the piece of real estate on the corner is quite valuable - any idea what the plans for the corner are? I'd love to see some more action continue towards plaza midwood. Central has become such an awesome bar crawl. 2nd date with my girlfriend we hit 6 or 7 different bars: common house, soul, twenty-four, cafe central, thirsty beaver, and intermezzo. Now you can throw in the fabulous jalapeno margaritas at Loco Lime, and add in some Bistro la Bon. Now we just need the frame store next to grand central to convert as well as the old napa store (interior renovation recently started but not sure what is happening). I'm hoping that the salvation army is moving, but I haven't heard anything. Elizabeth - PM = fantastic place to live.

;

Didn't read this close enough before posting above. Well, that's one space down! Now if we could get some new busineses next door and across the street. A smokeshop is definitely an improvement, imo, although I don't frequent them. I saw Tribal Wisdom became a smoke shop too. (Maybe there is enough demand for K-2 to keep two shops going (:) - see recent article in Charlotte Observer). Regarding being right next to the SA's rehab center, I agree that is kinda funny. They had to obviously be aware they were opening right next to a rehab center. I guess that's not much different than opening a McDonalds right next to a weight loss center.

I saw an ad in Creative Loafing this week (page 35) for "One Love - Smoke Shop and Lifestyle Apparel" at 1041 Central Ave which is the old NAPA place. Interesting since the Tribal Wisdom place just became a smoke shop. Can we support 2? I know the little building beside the Rib Palace was once a short lived smoke shop. Adds to the fabric of the street, i guess.

EDIT: Added a thought. Isn't it odd that a smoke shop would locate right beside the rehab center? That is either poor or genius planning.

I think filling the former Lee House of Frames space would do a lot more for Plaza-Central's westward march than Salvation Army ever realistically going away.

Completely agree. Always thought that place would make a great neighborhood bar with a great big u-shaped bar in the middle and a pair of nice pool tables in those front windows.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that work has begun on the old Little Italy location. Does anyone know what is going on with this space? It looks like there is a cool old building under that "rustic" facade but it seems that a demolition permit has been issued for the building.

This place now has a For Sale sign posted. I wonder if the developers were planning to reuse the building, and it was just too damaged to save. Too bad, there was an interesting building underneath all that dark wood. Sign says "build to suit, up to 9,000 sf." I still hope something good ends up here, but less optimistic than I was.