Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

The work done on Little Italy recently (around New Years) included a new roof membrane. I think the soffit was demolished in order to provide a better surface to reroof. I don't know anything about the demolition permit, but it could simply be a demolition permit to remove interior finishes that have not fared well to something like a leaking roof.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Do you guys have thoughts on the design, planning and siting of the new police stations being built around Charlotte? One is proposed for Central Avenue at Merry Oaks Road, next to St. Andrews Episcopal Church, just west of the intersection of Central and Eastway Drive. The Eastway police division, now located at Eastway Crossing Shopping Center, would move there.

This site now includes the property of the old Phifer insurance company, with a house built in 1930 and modified, plus a couple of duplexes circa 1950 on Central Avenue, and at least two houses along Merry Oaks Road.

A rezoning request is expected before the end of March.

A Facebook protest group has formed, currently with 68 members, and you can find more details on my neighborhood blog. (Can't link, would violate TOS here, I think.)

Would love to know your thoughts...

If the nursing home going in opposite Briar Creek Road on Central is any indication, you don't need a rezoning to cut down trees. Redevelopment often eliminates mature trees, especially if done outside any design review. And if Duo's rezoning gave Merry Oaks more say on connectivity than the by-right development that later took its place, a rezoning for a new Eastway Division may similarly allow the community to have more leverage on trees than development that could happen under existing zoning.

Edited by southslider

Thanks much. Yes, I think that's the approach that some in the neighborhood have suggested; talk with the police during site planning or modification to preserve what is possible. Given the location of a few speciment trees in the center of the property, they likely can't be saved, but perhaps their loss can be ameliorated by the planting of others elsewhere on the site. Its current zoning could allow someone to go in and buy the property and build apartments without a rezoning process.

Still, some in the community wonder why a gray field or already existing nearby asphalt area can't be used instead. The site of the old Kate's skating rink, for example, provides a little over 2 acres of cleared space, and the addition of a few nearby lots, one of which is cleared and vacant, would add up to more than the required 3 acres.

The question for longer term: If it's cheaper to buy and develop green spaces rather than to redevelop already cleared, vacant spaces, then how will the city ever preserve green space?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone been by the old Steeple? They have torn off the entire front structure. All that is left is the taller part. Anyone know details?

Per EveryBlock, a building permit for mercantile upfit was issued March 14th for 1809 Commonwealth, which is the old Camera World. It also looks like this building has been recently spruced up, while part of Steeple has been demolished. I'm thinking these two buildings on this very small triangular block are connected in their re-development.

http://charlotte.everyblock.com/building-permits/mar14-permit-issued-nonresidential-addition-alteration-conversion-1980430/

Jackalope's had looked at moving to Plaza-Central when it looked like Chris Branch may re-develop East Seventh Street ala Latta on East. For now, Jackalope's may not be threatened by re-development. But a move may still make more sense here soon for other reasons. For one, Jack's is likely tiring of the Elizabethans and their anti-noise crusades.

I was at Whiskey Warehouse Sunday and it looked to me like their roof top terace would be finished soon. I could be wrong but I imagine its gonna be a huge success and very popular this spring and summer.

Yes the Whiskey Wharehouse rooftop deck is slated to open this Friday or Saturday weather permitting. It should be a great spot

Vintage clothing store Buffalo Exchange is opening in the old pura vida spot. They have great stuff, can do swaps or sell clothes.

It will be interesting to see how they will impact Hong Kong and Century across the street.

BE is a chain and until now PM has been pretty indie otoh...Penguin which used to define the local neighborhood vibe is going franchise so I guess times are a changin

• 4 weeks later...

This was posted today... new renderings of the new HT for Plaza-Midwood. The best part is that there will be a nice, inviting, pedestrian oriented entrance at the Plaza/Central intersection. Drivers get the reject entrance in the back. It also makes the frontage on The Plaza and Central Ave more ped-oriented. It doesn't look like there will be any space for other shops though.

The rooftop café should have a sweet skyline view...

http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2011/04/new-harris-teeter-for-plaza-midwood.html

HT3.jpg

HT4.jpg

^1401 Central actually has an overflow parking lot beside CAST on Clement Avenue, in addition to its parking wrapping around the building.

But personally, I like the "park-once-and-walk-blocks" mentality of Plaza-Midwood. Many businesses, including Soul, which has zero off-street private spaces, would not be able to survive without the shared parking and walk-friendly atmosphere.

After all, this ain't a strip mall, but a neighborhood downtown. So park anywhere you can, then stroll, baby, stroll!

^ For contrast, see the nightmare parking experience that is East Blvd where everyone protects their spaces like dogs. It's a predatory towing [] dream over there. P-M and NoDa are much more friendly about parking.

[edit: i get crude when it comes to towing companies]

Edited by tozmervo

^ For contrast, see the nightmare parking experience that is East Blvd where everyone protects their spaces like dogs. It's a predatory towing [] dream over there. P-M and NoDa are much more friendly about parking.

[edit: i get crude when it comes to towing companies]

PM isn't that friendly when it comes to parking. The predatory tow dogs have made a few bucks there too.

^The most infamous "tow dogs" work behind No Grease, towing cars from their parking lot off Thomas. Zada Janes constantly reminds their customers NOT to park behind No Grease. The constant complaints about these guys to CMPD is also what made the City consider ordinance changes to reduce predatory towing.

However, it seems these guys shouldn't even be allowed to tow from much of the parking behind No Grease. From the City's online mapping tool (vc.charmeck.org), there appears to be a public alley running through the middle of this seemingly contiguous parking lot. Anyone parking in the alley would technically not be parking on private property. And the property north of this alley, which is also used as parking, appears to be zoned single-family residential. Such zoning would mean its use as a parking lot is a non-conforming use. And while the lot may be old enough to be grandfathered, any regular towing operations would technically be an illegal business activity within residential zoning.

Edited by southslider

Midwood Smokehouse looks good from the outside. It seems like this area keeps getting better. However, I wonder when they will have to tackle the parking problem.

I just had lunch at Midwood Smokehouse today. Great BBQ! It was better than Mac's in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

It is the same owner as Jack's. Word on the street is that he owns Camera World as well. I believe all this will be part of a larger development. This all began a few years ago when the property where PStone, Jack's and LaTeaDas was purchased to a proposed residential development. Jack's was to 'move' to Pecan. Now I believe this will be another place similar to Jack's. Below is a link to the original rezoning request from 2008.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2008Petitions/Pages/2008-154.aspx

• 3 months later...

Construction is set to begin for pedestrian and aesthetics improvements for the L-shaped corridor of Commonwealth from Pecan, over to Plaza up to Central. Plans include, landscaping, new sidewalks, bike lanes and racks, crosswalks and more on-street parking.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/12/11/2836390/plaza-street-tuneup-ahead.html