Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the Holidays and through February 1st the Old Midwood Alternative High School at 1817 Central Avenue will reopen as the "Midwood International and Cultural Center".  The  42,000 SF historic school  has attracted many tenants including:

International House

The English Language Academy

The Ethiopian Community

The Bosnian Herzegovinian Cultural Organization

GRAMEEN BANK

The Japanese Association

The Asian/East Indian Coalition

The League of Women Voters

and several others....  

Additionally, the original gymnasium has been re-purposed as a venue, with new bathrooms and supports  200 plus seated and 300 or so standing. The stage is nicely elevated and its original hardwoods are intact.

90 plus parking spaces will be available after hours.  The school is directly across from the new Teeter, and the parking should have a meaningful impact for at least the businesses on the Plaza and hopefully Thomas and Pecan as well.

International House, working with Conformity Corp, was awarded the Master lease in July of 2011.  We've since raised over $250,000 to improve the school and grounds and today the building is 85% leased with lease up expected in 3-4 months.  Watch for happenings there and swing by.  Naturally, the neighborhood has been phenomenally supportive, both businesses and residents and I can't think of a better place to be with this concept.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really trust the Mecklenburg Times anymore but their daily email says that:

Centro City Works is the developer for the three-story, 25,000-square-foot Centre Terrace Apartments, to be built between Sharon Amity Road and Kilborne Drive. Carocon Corp. is the general contractor.

I am not out that way often but I am surprised that multifamily is being pushed that far out on Central.

David Furman has owned that property for some time and there is a current apartment building on-site.  It's subsidized housing that I focuses on a special group I think, like either formerly homeless, jailed, or drug dependent I think, but not positive.  Furman is replacing a portion of the complex with a new building, but I believe the it is still focused affordable housing.

Joe Hooper's, the new restaurant across from Thirsty Beaver, is now without its rooftop neon sign.  I hope this is only a case of missing a permit, and not the City's archaic zoning laws disallowing neon or rooftop signs being enforced.  As many signs there are in Uptown, Charlotte's other mini-downtown districts (like PM) could use more flexible codes for creative signage.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have renderings of The Nook apartments?

Also, I really like how the streetscaping is creating patios for the Diamond and Common Market.

The contractor, Carocon, has renderings up of The Nook on their website now along with a little more info.  25 apartments untils and ground floor retail.

image-02.jpgimage-04.jpg

http://www.carocon.com/details.php?section=current-projects&id=63

Not sure what to think so far.  I like the fact it has retail.  The facade hopefully looks good in person and not like painted styrofoam.

I agree, I'm nervous that the brick red color will not be brick but rather red paint EIFS, but we will have to see, I guess.   The retail space helps a lot in redeeming what is otherwise fairly basic structure.  Certainly the views will be amazing, so I highly doubt they will have trouble with renting the units.   

I actually think its a pretty cool project. This is the kind of infill that all of charlotte needs. Sure its not groundbreaking architecture, but its urban, functional and high density. I love it. I hope to see 20 more of these in the Plaza Midwood Area.

The contractor, Carocon, has renderings up of The Nook on their website now along with a little more info.  25 apartments untils and ground floor retail.

image-02.jpg[img=http://www.carocon.com/images/projects/the-nook/image-04.jpg]

http://www.carocon.com/details.php?section=current-projects&id=63

Not sure what to think so far.  I like the fact it has retail.  The facade hopefully looks good in person and not like painted styrofoam.

Thanks! I think I will like this. I like amount of windows and how the apartments face Uptown.

Heard a rumor of another restaurant on Commonwealth across from the Penguin. See what happens.

Speaking of the Penguin, how is that place doing now? I haven't been back there since around the time of the whole ownership fiasco. 

It is still in business, but I've gone 2 or 3 times since the ownership issues. It's always been fairly empty when I was there.

One night my girlfriend and I went and we were the only people there (this was around 8pm). The owner followed us out the door into the parking lot to thank us for coming in, so I'm assuming business isn't going so well.

Menu is different, but still has some of the same items. Food is decent, but not as good as it used to be.

I haven't gone at all since the change.  It's probably for the better for my health as it was never that healthy of food.  I'm secretly glad it is in business still but I wonder if there is a way they can repair their goodwill somehow.   It does serve them right for losing out on their sleazy dealings.   

Yes, a Pinky's, which should be interesting, given the original Pinky's was supposed to be a Penguin.

While I like Pinky's very much, that's kind of a shame. I would like to see something new. Pinky's is only like 3 or 4 miles from this location, so if I wanted to eat at Pinky's I'd just go to the current location anyway.

I would love to see something like Savor open in Plaza Midwood. I guess Dish is kind of like Savor, but IMO, it isn't nearly as good. Good quality food that I don't feel awful after eating with reasonable prices.

I would prefer something ethnic around there. Indian or Thai or South American or something. Also Pinky's had such great success in pioneering a risky untested location at Freedom & Morehead, that I'd like to see their second location do the same somewhere rather than go to an already saturated area JUST to stick it to Penguin.