Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

As much as we would all love to see the Family Dollar strip mall renovated at least or torn down and replaced at best, we need to think about the more plausible options in the hood.  Hatcher isn't going to do anything with that lot until he can boot Family Dollar.  FD leases have 10 year terms with multiple 5 year extensions (4-6 generally).  Assuming, the store is doing good business, then they likely have an ability to remain there for roughly 35 years (10 years + 5 extensions of 5 years).  I am relatively new to the area, but assuming the lease or a lease renewal was signed in the late 90's, then that would put the term out to 2033 (based on a 1998 signing or renewal date).  Generally, the LL cannot deny an extension option, so the term is entirely up to FD.  It will take a quite a bit more development in the area until it makes economic sense to try to buy them out of the lease.

One thing that is starting to bother me more an more, is the amount of power lines running through the air in our hood.  Any chance of ever seeing these buried?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Hatchet can boot Family Dollar, it appears he will start booting cars. Parking spaces have been numbered and new signs went up near CVS. But so far, no payment kiosk.

As for power lines, why bury them, if streetcar would someday add more wires?

I've seen a guy out there collecting money. He was just sorta sitting there in a chair not trying to flag down cars for payment. We saw him watching us, so we just circled back around and asked him if we could park there. He said we could only if we were going to Elizabeth Billiards, Bistro La Bon, or Family Dollar. 

Parking costs $5. We drove a block away and parked on the street.

There is a huge aesthetic difference between a mess of randomly hung wires over the well organized caternaries of a streetcar system.   There are also emerging technologies that could provide electricity to the streetcars/light rail without overhead wires. 

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what's going on with Morningside Village? Have any plans been announced?

I heard at one point that a apartment developer had closed on one of the blocks. However I have mot been able to find any documentation online to support this.

FYI - The Vyne at the intersection of Briar Creek and Central looked is back under construction.  Their Facebook page says they are building two more buildings.  Another sign of life, and a bit further down Central!

The same company that is buying/bought Bloc90 in Optimist Park is also finishing this to make it apartments.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/07/real-estate-firm-reviving-vyne-and.html?page=all

It is a good thing that corrects some of the false starts from the bush boom. 

so did they decide not to paint the Nook red?

The color it is now looks pretty ugly. Maybe they're still going to paint it, but I figured they'd paint it before they put on the balcony railings.

I think they chose to do Brick instead of the Red front. Which is welcomed. I wonder if they will paint the sides white as planned originally.

I think they chose to do Brick instead of the Red front. Which is welcomed. I wonder if they will paint the sides white as planned originally.

I was thinking the sides were going to be painted red for some reason. EIther way, its not white. It's an ugly dark brown color. Hopefully they'll paint it white because IMO, it looks terrible right now.

I was thinking the sides were going to be painted red for some reason. EIther way, its not white. It's an ugly dark brown color. Hopefully they'll paint it white because IMO, it looks terrible right now.

942218_197635543693695_781302083_n.jpg

here's the original.

The Nook isn't finishing out all that well, IMO. The east facing facade looks like an afterthought.  I mean, I get that no one wants to look at the Dairy Queen (OK, maybe a couple of folks would be good with it), but it looks like a cheap motel driving west.

The side is a hallway. There will be no windows.

I don't mind it, but I do hate the color they ended up painting it.

And in much grander scale, at the northwest corner of Cental and Clement, extending between the RR tracks and Clement is a 200 unit apartment building (4 stories of apartments over 2 stories of parking) with ground floor retail, which a 2nd phase of more apartments an option on the site.

Not sure who the developer is, this was just listed today on the ACCELA land development website.

Any update on this development? How far back will it go? will it take over where Metro Graphics is located? what about the shops where the upholstey business and croas fit are located? Also any official name for the apartments going where Cast was?