Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more info on the new multifamily project going up behind midwood smokehouse

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/08/developers-to-build-25-unit-project.html

Interesting article, and off topic here, but good news when local builders are either too busy or expect to be that they had to use a GSO based contractor.  At least they stayed in state, and we know the GSO contractors aren't busy.  :)

2 Questions:

1) I saw some construction going on at the intersection of Morningside and Commonwealth.  Any thoughts on what that is?  I assume it is just street/sidewalk work, but I haven't made it back to check.

2) Is there any prayer of revitalizing the extension of the Briar Creek Greenway?  Char-Meck still has info from 2009 up on their planning site for this project.  I have to assume nothing has advanced since 2009, so we have lost 4 years.  It would be pretty cool to see this greenway link with the Little Sugar Creek Greenway down near Tyvola.  

2 Questions:

1) I saw some construction going on at the intersection of Morningside and Commonwealth.  Any thoughts on what that is?  I assume it is just street/sidewalk work, but I haven't made it back to check.

2) Is there any prayer of revitalizing the extension of the Briar Creek Greenway?  Char-Meck still has info from 2009 up on their planning site for this project.  I have to assume nothing has advanced since 2009, so we have lost 4 years.  It would be pretty cool to see this greenway link with the Little Sugar Creek Greenway down near Tyvola.  

It was mentioned before that Someone had put one of the Morningside Village Parcels under contract with intention to build Apartments.

It was mentioned before that Someone had put one of the Morningside Village Parcels under contract with intention to build Apartments.

Except that the intersection I described is a block South of the land you are describing.  That land touches Morningside from McClintock north to Ivey.  We also have no idea which 6 acres of the 32 acres were taken, which means that land could be even farther away.

Regardless, the work I saw is just sewer line work, probably related to the work that was recently completed along the Briarcreek Greenway and Charlotte Country Club.

PED was amended to require commercial space fronting thoroughfares, like Central.  Pollack could file an optional (PED-O) rezoning, but then, you risk a public hearing.

Personally, I'd rather see the block between Hawthorne and Oakland go first, instead of this block between Louise and Oakland.  Not only do you lose Grand Central (and its cool facade), but also the older retail (nice storefront windows) and apartments (large balconies) next to it.  Meanwhile, the next block toward Hawthorne is just generic, low-rise, flex office buildings.  Oh well, maybe it will all fill in, eventually.

^ & ^^ both of those have existing structures though, what about the gravel overflow lot next to the school grand central.  I'm sure there are reasons, but its odd the number of open lots that remain untouched while things are torn down to rebuild, and not even referring to the oft covered trend of this inside the loop.

^ & ^^ both of those have existing structures though, what about the gravel overflow lot next to the school grand central.  I'm sure there are reasons, but its odd the number of open lots that remain untouched while things are torn down to rebuild, and not even referring to the oft covered trend of this inside the loop.

I agree, there is no shortage of lots to build on near there where no buildings of value would be lost. I don't know how much use Grand Central sees, but its a great building that adds a lot of character to that stretch.

Losing those buildings would be a positive benefit to that stretch of road. They're a blight on the area. Even if they were rehabilitated they'd still only be 'meh'

I'm not sure why people are concerned about the Grand Central building.  It has a very urban unfriendly surface lot in front, and the Art Deco facade is just a cheap application over a brick box of a building.  It's not some historical gem by any means.

The mid-block building is the most urban, and the apartments are "ok" from a urban perspective.

Granted, I'm sure this proposed complex will be lacking in architectural sophistication, but it will go a long way in improving the streetwall, and putting people on the sidewalk, bridging the gap between Midwood and Midtown.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why people are concerned about the Grand Central building.  It has a very urban unfriendly surface lot in front, and the Art Deco facade is just a cheap application over a brick box of a building.  It's not some historical gem by any means.

The mid-block building is the most urban, and the apartments are "ok" from a urban perspective.

Granted, I'm sure this proposed complex will be lacking in architectural sophistication, but it will go a long way in improving the streetwall, and putting people on the sidewalk, bridging the gap between Midwood and Midtown.

I would love for them to incorporate the midblock building into the design somehow. That'd be cool. Make that the amenity Area + some retail.

And uptown. Between The Lofts at Seigle Point and this proposed facility, there will be housing / restaurants / retail stretching pretty much the entire way from the Garden District to Plaza-Midwood. Now if only someone would develop something around the Beaver (incorporating it into the site plan) P-M would feel quite a bit more urban away from the few core blocks.

• 2 weeks later...

any news on when the new development behind midwood smokehouse is going up?

They're doing site work right now. They've been doing that for 2-3 weeks now. I think it is supposed to be done in Spring 2014.

It is small, I expect a similar timeline to the Nook.

Edited by rworkman09

It will be especially sad if Pollack's new block-long development has less retail space than even the mid-block commercial building by itself.

Velocity-in-the-Gulch.jpg

This is what I am expecting from this property. Velocity in the Gulch in Nashville is 20 units smaller, and on a slightly larger site, so I expect Pollack's Central Ave Version to be higher density, but equally as meh. Although I am all for Grey in the sea of tan, beige and brown.