Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

also - does anyone know what happening with the pizza peel? are they waiting for a permit? they haven't been on the job site in almost a month. the project hasn't stalled out has it?

I walk by there almost every day when I go to lunch. There have been people in there. I've seen people working on the roof and walking around inside the structure as recent as last week.

Anyone know anything about this?

Atlanta-based Pollack Shores Real Estate Group is pursuing a couple of sites for new apartment projects in Charlotte. One is on Park Road and the other is in Plaza Midwood, according to real estate records.

The company is planning a redevelopment of The Stratford Apartments, a 136-unit complex on the east side of Park Road, just north of the Selwyn Avenue intersection. Pollack Shores is looking to build a new, 264-unit project at the 6.8-acre site. The property is currently owned by a company managed by apartment investor Todd Pfalzgraf that purchased The Stratford Apartments in late 2011 for $4.3 million. Prior to the sale, the property had fallen into foreclosure and bankruptcy protection.

In Plaza Midwood, Pollack Shores is planning a new development on a 2-acre site on Central Avenue, between Louise and Oakland avenues, that includes the Grand Central event venue. The multifamily firm is planning a five-story, 240-unit complex with 7,000 square feet of amenity space and a parking deck with 367 spaces. Wayne Jernigan is the owner of the properties, which includes two commercial buildings and two single-family buildings.

Porter Jones, regional vice president at Pollack Shores, relocated to Charlotte earlier this year to scout for apartment acquisitions and development sites. The firm has not acquired either of the sites, and Jones declines to comment.

sharkdawg - any idea at this point if it is all the parcels including the ones discussed earlier that were in pretty advanced discussions for apartments?  my guess is yes, and Northwood is not a separate denser project on the big parcel along Veterans.

DMann - this project was discussed/debated a page back or so regarding knocking down the 3 buildings there, and the lack of retail.  Believe a rendering from the developer's Nashville project was posted.

Apparently Northwood Ravin is under contract to purchase and develop the 32 acres of Morningside Village.  They will be presenting their plans to the neighborhood next week.

That will be huge for the neighborhood if done right. Hopefully it will be as ambitious as the previous iteration 

sharkdawg - any idea at this point if it is all the parcels including the ones discussed earlier that were in pretty advanced discussions for apartments?  my guess is yes, and Northwood is not a separate denser project on the big parcel along Veterans.

The fact that they reference 32 acres and the original plans for Morningside Village reference 32 acres, I assume this is for the whole property.  However, I have no info on their development plan yet.  I would assume that they are purchasing the whole thing then developing in phases.

600 Condos, 400 Apartments and 60-75k Retail was original proposal. I might have to turn on my old tower G5 to find renderings lol.

I'm imagining a more urban version of Bradford in Cary, which is being done by Northwood Ravin as well.

http://croslandsoutheast.com/wp-content/themes/Boldly/script/timthumb.php?src=http://croslandsoutheast.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Bradford-Rendering.jpg&h=650&zc=1&q=100

Edited by Guest

Here is some info on the original Morningside Village.  I think it is worth noting that it include a plan for a 10 (I was thinking 12) story apt tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/09/18/story6.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2006/11/20/story2.html

http://www.morningsidevillage.com/news/CO_072907.pdf

Another interesting find on the internet.  Check out the description of this house:  http://www.century21.com/property/2516-commonwealth-avenue-charlotte-nc-28205-REN010316827-A10950837

...or better yet, I'll just cut and paste it below:

Chantilly version of Phillips Place coming soon. Morningside Village is set to break ground this fall. Northwood Ravin closes on that land on 8/28 and will begin developing 30,000 sq ft of shops/bars/restaurants. Attached is the marketing material the bank sent out to perspective developers. You can see on page 11 and 12 how the area is zoned.

Another interesting find on the internet.  Check out the description of this house:  http://www.century21.com/property/2516-commonwealth-avenue-charlotte-nc-28205-REN010316827-A10950837

...or better yet, I'll just cut and paste it below:

Chantilly version of Phillips Place coming soon. Morningside Village is set to break ground this fall. Northwood Ravin closes on that land on 8/28 and will begin developing 30,000 sq ft of shops/bars/restaurants. Attached is the marketing material the bank sent out to perspective developers. You can see on page 11 and 12 how the area is zoned.

I really hope there is for sale homes, at a decent price, because I would be inclined to buy if the product was right. For Sale Townhomes have been seeing a lot of interest in Charlotte. Both Projects in Dilworth are sold out, and the one on Providence and Wendover is 70% sold.

Hopefully this will lead to the intersection of Iris and Central being beautified. This will be the most used entrance to the development. But look at how awful it looks...

http://goo.gl/maps/nsEpK

Edited by Guest

CBJ says Northwood Ravin is having a community meeting tonight about their plans. Only the 6 blocks along McClintock are in discussion, leaving some land closer to Central still up in the air.

Here is the article: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/09/northwood-ravin-plans-redevelopment-of.html

Looks like they have done some plumbing/framing work on the Pizza Peel and are starting to do some plumbing now that they've finished grading on the project behind midwood smokehouse

Any interest in seeing the plans for Pizza Peel, its really not very exciting. Building improvements, some green space, and a 160 sq. foot patio.

yes, please.

I've requested elevation drawings from a acquaintance in the Planning Dept. We will see if we can get some. In the meantime here are screenshots of the building and lanscape improvements per the siteplan.

Screenshot2013-09-25at93925AM_zps3c46822

Screenshot2013-09-25at94405AM_zps4cf495a

No matter what they do to it, it will have to look better than what was there before. Re-use in this situation may not have been as good as rebuild, but Pizza Peel is a welcome addition to the neighborhood IMO and it'll probably end up looking 10x better than what was there before once the patios are there and some landscaping done.

It's interesting that Plaza Midwood will now have two pizza restaurants in former filling stations.

No matter what they do to it, it will have to look better than what was there before. Re-use in this situation may not have been as good as rebuild, but Pizza Peel is a welcome addition to the neighborhood IMO and it'll probably end up looking 10x better than what was there before once the patios are there and some landscaping done.

It's interesting that Plaza Midwood will now have two pizza restaurants in former filling stations.

Agreed, It is really interesting. And it goes a long way towards better connecting the Thomas Ave. District with Plaza, now if we can just get Wells to give up half of the parking lot that they really don't need.

There is something in the works...

NICE!!!!!! Thats fantastic news. Plaza Midwood and Noda (And Cherry, shhh) have so much potential its crazy. Way more potential to become something iconic than SouthEnd.

Edited by Guest