Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I'm surprised at the number of announcements for Plaza Midwood recently. Between the little apartment projects (Edison, Nook, and whatever is going behind Midwood Smokehouse) and the big projects going in where Grand Central resides and between Clement and the railroad tracks, Plaza Midwood is going to look very different soon.

I keep hoping something will happen between Hawthorne and the tracks (sorry Beaver) and in the Family Dollar shopping center.

• Like 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hoping something will happen between Hawthorne and the tracks (sorry Beaver) and in the Family Dollar shopping center.

I agree, but if the Beaver went away, I guarantee that we'll get another South End-esque massive apartment super development, as opposed to a couple of smaller hopefully more varied projects on either side of it if it sticks around long enough. 

• Like 1

Went to the meeting about Morningside Village last night.  They are planning for Phase 1 now only, which will cover 6 blocks, primarily along McClintock.  It will have an extremely diverse mixture of building types and styles - 400 total units in 32 different buildings.  They will all be rentals for now and no retail.  I am bummed about the lack of retail, but they do seem to be confident in the next phase having potential for retail, which would be about 2 years out.

Phase 1 will start construction sometime in Q1 2014.  I am hoping they will have some designs published in the next week or so, but they explained that the design will be very unique and fit in well with the neighborhood.  It will have a mixture of brick traditional, bungalow/craftsman, and modern/funky styles.  They put a big emphasis on the landscape design, including hardscapes like courtyards of various sizes, that will pull it all together so that it looks like a cohesive, yet still eclectic, neighborhood that evolved over time.  It will include 2, 3, and 4-story apartment buildings, as well as townhomes w/garages, and duplexes.  The 4-story building will have a 1st floor with full amenities, including pool and fitness center.  This gives them the option to convert the 1st floor to retail in the future. 

Overall, it sounds like a very cool project with a lot of character.  They have a great team with a good portfolio of projects and most of them have actually lived in Plaza Midwood for several years in the past.  Northwood Ravin has done things like Birkdale Village.  The architecture firm did the Southborough residential project by the Lowes in Southend.  The landscape designer is the same one that did Romare Bearden park. 

Edited by CLT_Gal
  • Like 1

Judging from a quick google earth takeoff, I'd reckon the south end store is about 8-9000 square feet.

Ah okay good.

The one on Independence was about half the size of the one on South. It was also not nearly as nice inside.

Although I'd love to get rid of the eyesore that is that shopping center, if it is not going away, I'm glad it'll at least get something like this.

I wish Hatcher would at least invest a little money into making it not look like a complete crap hole. 

The apartments behind Midwood Smokehouse now have a name. They'll be called Plaza25.

They're making good progress back there. They poured the foundation this week and they've started putting up some cinderblock walls.

Boy do I hate them...

Screenshot2013-10-02at54243PM_zpsaada877

• 3 weeks later...

What space would that be in? 

Seems like an awfully big "screw you" to the Penguin, and a definite death blow as they would NOT survive if we had Diamond, Pinky's, and Penguin all within a block of eachother. 

CBJ reports that the sad story of the post-modern Penguin may be coming to an end. The current landlord has sued the restaurant for default on a loan as well as non-payment of rent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/landlord-sues-the-penguin-drive-in.html?ana=&page=all

EDIT: I did not mean to overshadow the big news above -- my apologies. ( I assume its the parcel to the west of CSX?)

Edited by kermit

The pie shaped site totaling 7 acres between Lamar, Central and Independence is under contract with apartments planned. I believe they're planning a dense garden deal similar to what Woodfield did at Silos. 

I'm assuming its the back parcel between Sunnyside, Lamar and Independence.   I did a google map search and didn't realize there is a cupcake shop opening up back there.

http://fumanchucupcakes.com/

CBJ reports that the sad story of the post-modern Penguin may be coming to an end. The current landlord has sued the restaurant for default on a loan as well as non-payment of rent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/10/landlord-sues-the-penguin-drive-in.html?ana=&page=all

EDIT: I did not mean to overshadow the big news above -- my apologies. ( I assume its the parcel to the west of CSX?)

This whole story has been a steady string of bad news since the initial shake up. If you ask me it's simple karma. That's what you get when you treat an institution like that. I went in there a few months after the big change and it just wasn't the Penguin I knew. It is sad to see it possibly go but I knew it was DOA from the get go. My only hope is that the sign is preserved in some way or another.

• Like 1

I really hate to see this place go, but it really hasn't been the same since the change of ownership. Pinky's and The Diamond have really taken the crowd that used to go to the Penguin. I have been once since the change, and it just seemed unusually empty and weird. Sucks what happened with this establishment.

I'm assuming its the back parcel between Sunnyside, Lamar and Independence.   I did a google map search and didn't realize there is a cupcake shop opening up back there.

It actually includes that parcel where the cupcake place is going, which is one of the larger parcels there and has all of the frontage on Central. Not sure of the details surrounding the tenant or their lease. 

Stinks for the Coffeeshop, I just calculated the total area of the entire wedge as 7.2 acres. See attached... Its a shame, While it isn't very great to look at I always liked the vibe of all the little brick buildings over there. I can live without the little duplexes though.

post-17104-0-73969000-1382539966_thumb.j