Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the CBJ article is putting an inappropriate negative spin on Morningside.  The facts on the number of units and building types actually ties back to what the developer described to us in the neighborhood meeting several weeks ago, which I was pretty excited about.  The article mentions 400 units which is exactly what we were told in the meeting.  They did mention that this was less dense than originally proposed with the previous developer, but 400 units within 6 blocks is still pretty dense.  Also, the article describes that there will be a 4-story building, a couple 2-3 stories, as well as the townhouses and carriage homes - again, this is exactly what they described at the meeting.

The thing that sounds the worst in the CBJ article is the term "surface parking", but the parking was described as being mostly behind the buildings and then street parking at the curbs.  It sounded like a very urban and pedestrian friendly approach.  And they even talked about having a variety of architectural styles along with an emphasis on landscape design so that it won't look like just a boring row of homes and standard apartments.

I am still staying positive on this one!!

Edited by CLT_Gal
  • Like 2

Apartments in historic section of 4th Ward are all fairly bad so hopefully that is not a bar we are trying to exceed.   

But hopefully they will pursue a decent quality even if it isn't the utmost density.   There is still a vast difference between medium density urban apartments vs low quality suburban garden complexes.   Hopefully the positives will come out in reply to this article and we can rest again.  

Does anyone have any news on the old 'Master's Inn' site that was recently demolished? I couldn't find anything recent on this post or the Independence Corridor thread.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2012/11/charlotte-approves-purchase.html

http://www.commonwealthpark.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Aug-13.pdf

I drove by the site the other day (been a long time since I have been on that part of Independence) and was surprised to see the 2 hotels gone.

Does anyone have any news on the old 'Master's Inn' site that was recently demolished? I couldn't find anything recent on this post or the Independence Corridor thread.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2012/11/charlotte-approves-purchase.html

http://www.commonwealthpark.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Aug-13.pdf

I drove by the site the other day (been a long time since I have been on that part of Independence) and was surprised to see the 2 hotels gone.

Yes, green space.  It will become a city park:  http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Charlotte-OKs-purchase-of-properties-on-Independence-181345481.html

It IS for a movie! Check it out, from the casting company's Facebook page:

THE NOVICE -SEEKING THOSE OF ASIAN DESCENT FOR FILMING ON WED. 12/11. Adult Males and Females of Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, Filipino etc...are needed for filming on Wed. If available -please submit a current snapshot/photo, your Name, Age, Phone, City/State you reside, Height/Weight, Color/Make/Model/Year vehicle you drive to [email protected] with heading WED REQUEST.

Here's an IMDB post about the movie itself:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3305162/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

• Like 1

Meanwhile, another 36-unit podium urban apartment project is proposed just up Central on the block opposite the Shell gas station.

Here is the link to the rezoning petition that includes a rendering. The look plays well off of the new Teeter.  http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/005-021/2014-005%20site%20plan.pdf

Meanwhile, another 36-unit podium urban apartment project is proposed just up Central on the block opposite the Shell gas station.

Woah....I980's art deco rehash called and want this building back.....I guess in the context of the Teeter this makes sense.

36 unit 1-bedroom units, no ground floor retail but residents coffee room and "gallery display" space will provide some street level presnce.  This will replaces two ugly buildings occupied by Celia Estrada realtors, next to the VFW and across from the Shell.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of trying.

post-1289-0-78064400-1387223829_thumb.jp

Woah....I980's art deco rehash called and want this building back.....I guess in the context of the Teeter this makes sense.

36 unit 1-bedroom units, no ground floor retail but residents coffee room and "gallery display" space will provide some street level presnce.  This will replaces two ugly buildings occupied by Celia Estrada realtors, next to the VFW and across from the Shell.

I'm not going to complain about the lack of trying.

I effing love the way that looks.

• Like 1

If they're going to be putting apartments like this up in Plaza Midwood, I'd much rather it look like this than like The Nook or any of the multiple South End buildings that all look the same. With the new HT, this is a perfect look for the neighborhood.

The Nook looks so, so bad. The non-brick portion looks like a mixture between poop brown and booger green. If I didn't love Blizzards so much I'd hope for the DQ to be torn down just so something else could be built there that would hide that horrible facade.

• Like 1

I think The Nook is awful too. The renderings looked interesting but it seems like the developer then had another look at his money and turned it into a boring brown rectangle with brick that changes slightly halfway up the front but not enough for a real difference, and a paint color that's just close enough to the brick to make it really bad. It's a shame, because there's kind of a decent shape to it coming up the hill away from the city (the DQ side is just boring), and it could have been something cool in that narrow little space. Definitely a missed opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

Social Status burned down in the heart of P-M. We're very fortunate it did not spread to the other businesses or that could have been disastrous for P-M's "downtown."

The building itself seems like it'll be fine, but the inside is burned out. Unfortunate for those guys. They just spent the last 3-4 weeks having new storefront glass put in.

It was quite a surprise to be driving home late Friday night and get to the Pecan/Central intersection and see multiple fire trucks and Central entirely closed off for that block.

Anybody know what happened to cause the fire? Any suspicion of arson or anything like that, or just an accident? The lines were always really long there when a new shoe was being released.

The news also said the antique shop next door was burned too, is that true? I saw yesterday they're still open so I figured the news got it wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

The Morningside Village site plan and rendering elevations are now finalized and on the Acela Land Use site.   It's hard to link and a its a massive 90M doc.  Architect is BB&M, which is a good thing in my opinion.  Mix of styles, but primarily cottage-esque and Silos South End, so a bit of a blend in style...2, 3 and 4 story buildings.  All parking is behind the buildings, which front McClintock and (Iris??), with the surface lots between the aparemtns builinds and the single-family homes fronting Commonwealth and the creek running between Iris and Ivey.

There are also some smaller townhome style buildings along the cross streets that further shield the parking and "step-down" the scale between the larger apartent buildings and single family homes on Comm Ave.

Obviously, the infrastructure is already in place, so attractive pedestrian lighting, and plenty of on-street parking recessed into the planting strips.  I think it will be fairly attractive overall.

The two biggest parcels north of McClintock along the east side of Veterans Park are not included in this project, so there is still space for a larger apartment/condo building and retail.