Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have images on the signage and stone gateways? I have not seen them before but it seems that from this thread some images/renderings exist somewhere.

There are photos in these articles... mostly video images

http://charlotte.twcnews.com/content/news/704226/city-grant-helps-charlotte-neighborhood

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/plaza-midwood-brand-itself-new-signage/ndCnc/

http://www.wcnc.com/news/neighborhood-news/Plaza-Midwood-receives-25K-grant-from-city-243373901.html

• 4 weeks later...

Well it looks like both Pint Central and Fresh Exclusive (in it's new location in the Nook) have finally opened and that they are making some good progress on the Healthy Home Market as well...

I was actually at Pint Central on Friday night.  Good beer selection, pretty bare bones out the gate but that's to be expected.  Apparently they have a pretty decent menu, but I was there for the beer.  It was PACKED though.

I was actually at Pint Central on Friday night.  Good beer selection, pretty bare bones out the gate but that's to be expected.  Apparently they have a pretty decent menu, but I was there for the beer.  It was PACKED though.

I was actually there too on Friday. Food was good, nothing to rave about but enjoyable. LOVE the $4 Jameson special everyday. The owner came to our table (its amazing what having a few good looking girls in your group will do) and was asking for critiques which was cool. Beer selection was solid, overall a great addition to PM.

• Like 3

Agree. I was at Pint on Friday evening and it was a great environment, not too pricey and i loved their space out back. Gonna be a great spring/summer spot for sure. I did not know that they served food though. I will have to give it another try sometime soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody know what's going on at the vacant corner storefront of Thomas and Central? (across Thomas from Zada Jane's?) Used to be a hair salon but has been empty for a few months...looks like they're taping off all kinds of stuff on that front window. Anyone know if/when it's going to turn into something and what, if so?

Anybody know what's going on at the vacant corner storefront of Thomas and Central? (across Thomas from Zada Jane's?) Used to be a hair salon but has been empty for a few months...looks like they're taping off all kinds of stuff on that front window. Anyone know if/when it's going to turn into something and what, if so?

I read that a bar called Three Publicans was going in there.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53216-drinking-beer-in-charlotte/?p=1289466

I walked by it earlier today. Looks like they might be knocking down the wall that separates the two spaces. If so, that'll be a huge space.

Really? Source? That would be amazing! Love new bars in plaza

There is no published source.

Someone in the thread I linked above mentioned it. I googled Three Publicans and there is indeed a Three Publicans LLC that was formed in Charlotte late last summer. Legal paperwork was filed by Maynard Goble, co-owner of Dandelion Market.

Edited by Niner National

There is no published source.

Someone in the thread I linked above mentioned it. I googled Three Publicans and there is indeed a Three Publicans LLC that was formed in Charlotte late last summer. Legal paperwork was filed by Maynard Goble, co-owner of Dandelion Market.

Oh excellent!! Would love to see a 'sister' place to dandy out in plaza

Does anyone know what is going on with the building kind of behind House of Pizza near Central Ave and Eastway?  It is the large building (about 25,000 sq ft) that has had a for sale or lease sign in front of it the last few years. I drove by it last night and there were dumpsters full of material and some heavy machinery out there.  It looked like new windows had been put in, so I don't think it is a demolition.  It was dark thought, and I was driving so I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what is going on with the building kind of behind House of Pizza near Central Ave and Eastway?  It is the large building (about 25,000 sq ft) that has had a for sale or lease sign in front of it the last few years. I drove by it last night and there were dumpsters full of material and some heavy machinery out there.  It looked like new windows had been put in, so I don't think it is a demolition.  It was dark thought, and I was driving so I could be wrong.

The Little Saigon shopping center? I live a block or two from there and always just assumed it was a barely-used but still functioning strip mall. It's kind of a weird place to have a thriving business because it's off the street so far and downhill enough that you barely even see it from Central.

A new apartment project filed for a Land-Use meeting to discuss a project at the site of the warehouse building at the corner of Commonwealth and St Julien (google says its occupied by Southern Exterminating).  No other info on it, but clearly I think the neighborhood would prefer an apartment use there.

Also, Gateway Homes filed for their meeting on the Art Decoish looking apartment project across from the Gas Station and next to the the VFW.   That project got its rezoning approval this month.  I'm actually looking forward to that project a lot.  Central is getting an interesting mix of 3-4 story small scale projects.

Agreed, although I would love to see a retail space on the Gateway project....

I have hope that Plaza Midwood will continue to see these smaller infill projects, IE: Nook, Eddison, Plaza 25, Gateway Homes, ect... as opposed to the mega block apartments that are blowing up all over South End. Not that I have anything against South End, I just don't want to see Plaza Midwood become so homogenized on a development level. Its distinct character and neighborhood scale are the main things that attracted me to the neighborhood in the first place.

• Like 1

A new apartment project filed for a Land-Use meeting to discuss a project at the site of the warehouse building at the corner of Commonwealth and St Julien (google says its occupied by Southern Exterminating).  No other info on it, but clearly I think the neighborhood would prefer an apartment use there.

Also, Gateway Homes filed for their meeting on the Art Decoish looking apartment project across from the Gas Station and next to the the VFW.   That project got its rezoning approval this month.  I'm actually looking forward to that project a lot.  Central is getting an interesting mix of 3-4 story small scale projects.

Do you have a link or renderings to the Gateway Homes project?

Agreed, although I would love to see a retail space on the Gateway project....

I have hope that Plaza Midwood will continue to see these smaller infill projects, IE: Nook, Eddison, Plaza 25, Gateway Homes, ect... as opposed to the mega block apartments that are blowing up all over South End. Not that I have anything against South End, I just don't want to see Plaza Midwood become so homogenized on a development level. Its distinct character and neighborhood scale are the main things that attracted me to the neighborhood in the first place.

I think we'll eventually see megablock projects between Hawthorne and the tracks and from the tracks to Clement. There aren't really any other plots of land that would easily translate to mega projects.

I know the guy building Plaza25 behind Midwood Smokehouse and he is interested in building more small scale projects in P-M and around the city, but he said finding land for a reasonable price is difficult to find.