Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Charlotte zoning work? Specifically, what about the parking requirements?

Raleigh recently adopted a form-based unified development ordinance which has a provision excluding the first 16 units and first 10,000 square feet of ground-story retail in "urban frontage" zoning districts from parking requirements. Presumably this was to encourage the sort of small-scale infill developments that you mention. We have seen several small scale 16-unit buildings proposed along Hillsborough Street, one of which has already been completed. This is the sort of thing that I could see working in neighborhoods like NoDa or Plaza Midwood.

• Like 1

How does Charlotte zoning work? Specifically, what about the parking requirements?

Raleigh recently adopted a form-based unified development ordinance which has a provision excluding the first 16 units and first 10,000 square feet of ground-story retail in "urban frontage" zoning districts from parking requirements. Presumably this was to encourage the sort of small-scale infill developments that you mention. We have seen several small scale 16-unit buildings proposed along Hillsborough Street, one of which has already been completed. This is the sort of thing that I could see working in neighborhoods like NoDa or Plaza Midwood.

That's an interesting idea. I'm fairly familiar with Charlotte parking requirements, and I don't remember seeing any exception like that. I know we have a Pedestrian Overlay District but I'm not sure whether Plaza Midwood is zoned for that or not. And there are still parking requirements in the POD.

How does that Hillsborough Street building park its residents? It looks about the same size as The Nook that just went up in PM and that building still has a lot for residents.

CampusWorks has apparently filed a rezoning petition for the northeast corner of Central and Hawthorne for a mixed use project. This includes 7 parcels down to the Beaver (not included). They're an apartment developer, so I'd expect apartments over some minor retail. Glad to see they're not skirting around the overlay and putting in "active" space. 

CampusWorks has apparently filed a rezoning petition for the northeast corner of Central and Hawthorne for a mixed use project. This includes 7 parcels down to the Beaver (not included). They're an apartment developer, so I'd expect apartments over some minor retail. Glad to see they're not skirting around the overlay and putting in "active" space. 

So from the Beaver's parking down Central to the tracks? Or from behind the Beaver down Hawthorne to the underpass?

That's an interesting idea. I'm fairly familiar with Charlotte parking requirements, and I don't remember seeing any exception like that. I know we have a Pedestrian Overlay District but I'm not sure whether Plaza Midwood is zoned for that or not. And there are still parking requirements in the POD.

How does that Hillsborough Street building park its residents? It looks about the same size as The Nook that just went up in PM and that building still has a lot for residents.

The building is near the university and marketed to students so probably many of the residents go without cars. Others probably park at friends' houses or in one of the numerous nearby privately operated lots where parking spaces can be had for around $400/year.

I read that a bar called Three Publicans was going in there.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53216-drinking-beer-in-charlotte/?p=1289466

I walked by it earlier today. Looks like they might be knocking down the wall that separates the two spaces. If so, that'll be a huge space.

I walked by the space yesterday and it looks like they are starting to cut wholes in the drywall to make doorways...

I walked by the space yesterday and it looks like they are starting to cut wholes in the drywall to make doorways...

Excellent news! So it could be opening by summer no? Dandelion is a great place and I think a nice irish bar can do very well in plaza, especially with this location.

Edited by Jayvee

Excellent news! So it could be opening by summer no? Dandelion is a great place and I think a nice irish bar can do very well in plaza, especially with this location.

I wouldn't count on it. They have to completely retrofit the inside. It was a barbershop/beauty salon before, so it has no infrastructure needed for a bar and restaurant. It'll probably have to be gutted and completely reconstructed inside.I'm no construction expert, but that seems like a lot of work to finish by the time summer ends.

Here is the CBJ article.  Says 340 units with about 8-10k in ground floor retail.   

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/04/campusworks-plans-340-unit-apartment-complex-in.html

Does anyone think that all these developers are just lining up there projects and waiting to see if we get federal funding to build the next phase of the Gold Line to Hawthorne/Central?  What is the realistic timing on groundbreaking to occur on the larger complexes at Hawthorne/Central, Central and the railroad tracks, and then the area behind the Family Dollar along the tracks? Oh and Morningside Village Part II.

Anyone know anything about this?

Atlanta-based Pollack Shores Real Estate Group is pursuing a couple of sites for new apartment projects in Charlotte. One is on Park Road and the other is in Plaza Midwood, according to real estate records.

The company is planning a redevelopment of The Stratford Apartments, a 136-unit complex on the east side of Park Road, just north of the Selwyn Avenue intersection. Pollack Shores is looking to build a new, 264-unit project at the 6.8-acre site. The property is currently owned by a company managed by apartment investor Todd Pfalzgraf that purchased The Stratford Apartments in late 2011 for $4.3 million. Prior to the sale, the property had fallen into foreclosure and bankruptcy protection.

In Plaza Midwood, Pollack Shores is planning a new development on a 2-acre site on Central Avenue, between Louise and Oakland avenues, that includes the Grand Central event venue. The multifamily firm is planning a five-story, 240-unit complex with 7,000 square feet of amenity space and a parking deck with 367 spaces. Wayne Jernigan is the owner of the properties, which includes two commercial buildings and two single-family buildings.

Porter Jones, regional vice president at Pollack Shores, relocated to Charlotte earlier this year to scout for apartment acquisitions and development sites. The firm has not acquired either of the sites, and Jones declines to comment.

I heard from a tenant that 30 day notices went out for the apartment building at Central and Oakland.  They went out about 10 days ago...

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is going in front of the US Foods Chef Store in Eastway Crossings?  For the last month or so there has been a huge grading project going on there, and now they are starting to install basic infrastructure like storm drainage pipes, etc.  At first, I thought it might be a gas station, but the area of asphalt that has been ripped and graded looks way too large for a gas station.

A few Google searches and I found the info!  It looks like it is a QuickTrip gas station going in there, and that this was planned a long time ago.  

Here is a City Counsel Agenda excerpt (http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/cityclerk/documents/agenda/2014/02.24.14.pdf):

28. Private Developer Funds Appropriation
Explanation 
- The $29,000 in private developer funds is for the relocation of pedestrian signals, signal poles, and other related equipment at the intersection of Eastway Drive and Eastway Crossing Drive associated with QuickTrip Corporation’s development project. 
- QuikTrip Corporation is fully funding the relocation and pedestrian signal improvements. 
- The payment is in response to estimates of work prepared by Charlotte Department of Transportation and supplied to the Developer. 
- Any funding contributed by the Developer for the signal project that is unused by the City will be refunded after the project is complete.

I also found info on the development of a drugstore on the corner of Central Ave and Eastway.  The small strip with the Western Wear store would be demolished along with the end of the shopping center that currently contains the police dept. (obviously they are moving any day now).  The zoning meeting is scheduled for June.  I would love to see this happen, as it lengthens the area of growth on Central out to Eastway, instead of ending at Morningstar.