Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

I'm thinking maybe filling in all the potholes would be a good start.  Let's be honest with ourselves, that parking lot isn't going away any time soon.  

Nope. With Healthy Home Market, that new restaurant, and an already successful Bistro La Bon in there, there is definitely no chance it is going away any time soon.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Plaza being such a prominent road through the neighborhood do you guys think it will remain single family homes or is it just a matter of time before some density creeps that way?

I think some of the street is designated Historic. I think it will continue being housing with Central being the main node. At least thats how I hope it stays.

Two things I'm wondering if anyone knows more about:

1) Saw a sign for La Unica Mexican food coming to the old Loco Lime spot - anyone know details?

2) And also saw the garage door up in that empty marble-faced building next to Pint Central - looks like they were working on it, had done drywall, etc. What's going in there? Is it part of Pint Central or something else entirely?

1) Saw a sign for La Unica Mexican food coming to the old Loco Lime spot - anyone know details?

2) And also saw the garage door up in that empty marble-faced building next to Pint Central - looks like they were working on it, had done drywall, etc. What's going in there? Is it part of Pint Central or something else entirely?

It's not a part of Pint Central.

I don't know anything else about it though.

I think some of the street is designated Historic. I think it will continue being housing with Central being the main node. At least thats how I hope it stays.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, the Historic District zoning overlay does not deal with density at all.  It does give the Historic District Commission input into look and feel of any new project, materials used, and so forth, but the potential density is determined by the underlying zoning.  Most of The Plaza is R-5, so it's single-family 5 units per acre until a developer convinces the city council to change it.  

The place next to Pint Central is going to be a shop called TUFT.  They will have upcycled furniture and other home decor.  Here is their facebook page, looks like they are opening August 30th.  www.facebook.com/4029designs

This is actually a townhome project called Midwood Square. Pulte is building 34 townhomes on 2.9 acres. It's everything south of Sunnyside except the largest parcel on the NE quadrant owned by Harkey Land. 

http://american-ea.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Midwood-Square-Collague2.png

A link to the site-plan and representative rendering.  Kind of generic schlock that should sell well, but I really really hope no one opts for that horrific stone facade. 

Looking at the site plan though, the only ones that should require a front loading garage would be the road with the cul-de-sac.  The rest are accessible from alleys so the garage should be in the rear.   

I guess that's good, but there is so much more wrong with that kind of design in that area than just the garages.

There are so many new residential projects in PM, both small and large, it's getting hard to keep track of!  Does anyone happen to have a summarized list of them all - from Intermezzo area all the way to Morningside?  Also, does anyone know the numbers for how many people this means will be moving to PM as these projects complete (assuming most of the units get filled)?  It feels like it's going to practically double our population in PM!  I foresee major traffic/parking problems, but on the good side, maybe the population increase will start attracting more retail.

I am all for good design, but part of me thinks those ugly townhomes are great.  Raw, Down and dirty, run of the mill, developer driven infill.  Property so hot they can't even afford to spend 4 hours designing a unique fenestration pattern.  Infill is going to come in every shape and form.   The worst is the one that takes 20 years to materialize, and once it comes, prices everyone out of the neighborhood.

Edited by archiham04

It looks like the long ago announced Faison apartment deal is back. They had optioned the land and had until December of this year to exercise that option and it looks like they're going to move forward. Presubmittal meeting was scheduled for the deal and the description is as follows: Detailed Scope of Work: Muti Family Development within the PED overlay district, with portions of existing retail to remain.

This is the site on the north side of Central between Clement and the tracks. Looks like they're going to keep the retail building or portion of where Fern is and build apartments around. 

• Like 3

There are so many new residential projects in PM, both small and large, it's getting hard to keep track of!  Does anyone happen to have a summarized list of them all - from Intermezzo area all the way to Morningside?  Also, does anyone know the numbers for how many people this means will be moving to PM as these projects complete (assuming most of the units get filled)?  It feels like it's going to practically double our population in PM!  I foresee major traffic/parking problems, but on the good side, maybe the population increase will start attracting more retail.

If you turn on the "Land Development - Commercial Projects" layer under the Engineering Survey tab, you will get a pretty good picture: Virtual Charlotte

Edited by archiham04
  • Like 1