Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is HT going to do something with the empty land in front of their Ctrl/Plz location? Don't they own it? Its enclosed by a worn wooden fence now. At least do some minimal landscaping. I am sure they can find a few extra pennies for bushes and flowers in the Teeter budget.

Hmmmm.....if I had to guess....I'd say they're considering selling that branch to a developer, and then leasing back space on the ground floor of a new mixed-use project....

Edit. ;) (per legal advice)

Edited by atlrvr

In other news, Central 27 is rising quite nicely above the streetscape on Central. I really like this project b/c it is distinct and visible from Independence Blvd. I had no idea the area I had been looking at off of Independence all these years was actually the Central Avenue business district until seeing Central27 pop up.

• 2 weeks later...

Faison has begun applying for building permits for its yet to be announced project on Hawthorne. The review notes aren't very clear, but it looks like there will be six mid-rise (~4 story) buildings on the lot bound by Hawthorne, Sunnyside, Lamar and the businesses fronting Central.

If I remember correctly, there will be 160-200 units in total there.

Still nothing more on Conformity Corp's "High Street" across Sunnyside, but I believe it is still moving forward. That will be another 100+ units. Unfortunately, I don't believe either project will have any commercial space.

Faison has begun applying for building permits for its yet to be announced project on Hawthorne. The review notes aren't very clear, but it looks like there will be six mid-rise (~4 story) buildings on the lot bound by Hawthorne, Sunnyside, Lamar and the businesses fronting Central.

If I remember correctly, there will be 160-200 units in total there.

Still nothing more on Conformity Corp's "High Street" across Sunnyside, but I believe it is still moving forward. That will be another 100+ units. Unfortunately, I don't believe either project will have any commercial space.

When will we get something of height on Central Ave? Say Somthing in the 10-20 story range. Is this even possible given current zoning? I have always thought that a high rise on Central would have some INCREDIBLE views looking towards Uptown. :)

A2

I'm not sure. Early on, information was that the Conformity project that atlrvr mentioned was going to be tall. But that was converted to a mid-rise project a long time ago.

The Morningside project might have a couple buildings that are 10 stories, if memory serves. 20 stories, however, are few and far between for this corridor, especially since it is a set of fragile neighborhood east of Midwood.

I don't know if I would be in favor of highrises along Central. Right now there is a great, gritty, urban feel and growing "main street" vibe with stores on Central between Pecan and the Plz because of the midrises. I think a towering building would harm the growing charm.

I agree. Perhaps some official height restrictions are in order?

• 3 weeks later...

Glad I checked the forum before the next HOA meeting at Hawthorne Bridge Court. I've been breathing a lot of concrete dust here recently on Hawthorne Lane with no clue that the Party Reflections site wasn't a part of Conformity Corps.' High Street project. If I read A2's post correctly, do I understand that the combined Faison & Conformity Corps.' projects will top out at around 300 new units? Yikes! I wonder where all these new folks shop for little things like groceries? And when will that elusive Whole Foods ever get built? Seems a lot more thought is put into housing than infrastructure. Oops, I forgot... better to make a buck than a community.

Can someone please straighten me out as to where these projects stand in terms of projected completion dates? I'd like to pass along this info to my buds at Hawthorne Court, where we're beginning to feel a bit dwarfed by this looming construction.

Party Reflections IS the Conformity Corp project known as High St....however, they have removed the project from their website. Also, about 6 months ago, there was word that Conformity was considering selling the site, it is possible they have found a buyer and have decided not to do the project.

The Faison project, which is the lot north of Sunnyside is moving forward. They have applied for building permits, but are probably 2-3 months away from being issued them....I would expect construction to start around the first of the year and take a year to complete.

It was atlrvr's post, quoted by a2 :), but yes, at maximum 300 units are expected. But I believe the High Street project IS the Party Reflections site.

It is all on such a slow track, I would not be surprised if the Whole Foods comes in before many of those units. Also, the Central Teet should also be getting a renovation and possibly an expansion to compete with that Whole Foods.

As for infrastructure, the city is planning a streetcar line running right in front of these projects within the next 3-5 years. It is, in my view, the main purpose that Faison and Conformity are envisioning so many units on these sites. Also, there is enough connectivity in that area, so 300 units will not make that much of a difference to traffic as it might in the exurbs. That is, the infrastructure to support this infill development has been there for years, but finally now the area is becoming valuable enough to be developed in more units.

Community is made up of people. As long as those people are aren't social misfits, it doesn't matter what the density is, you'll have fine community. Healthy growth is a part of keeping the community healthy.

I wish i could remember whom and where, but I have had a conversation with someone (that knew what they were talking about) about Conformity no longer doing the Party Reflections site and someone else taking it. If it is off their website that might confirm it. I wish I could remember the details but I suspect wine is responsible for clouding the details...

As for Whole Foods, when is Grubb EVER going to do anything in their massive project other than finish one little building at a time? I heard Presby pulled out of the Elizabeth Project.

Shouldn't the project in Elizabeth have been finished long ago? At this pace Metropolitan will be done first.

Well.....Grubb just completed the purchase of the Burger King land. It was a huge hold-up as they couldn't agree to terms with BK for buying them out of their land lease. I believe it ended up costing Grubb a lot of cash plus building a new location, but I don't have any specific numbers.

With the final parcel for the Whole Foods site assembled, things should be a go. They asked their architect to get started on finalizing plans a couple of months ago. Last time I talked to people at Grubb (maybe 3 months ago) they were expecting a 1Q 2007 groundbreaking.

Grubb also purchased another building on Elizabeth about two weeks ago. They rehabbed a building on 7th for the owner of the Elizabeth building, and did a building exchange with them. So, it seems they are steadily moving along. Besides the six-story building on the other side of the yellow (Re-elect Pay McCrory) house that they have been marketing, they are also quietly shopping another building across Elizabeth (I think where the NoFo parking lot is) that is a three-story walk-up office building. Of course all the buildings will have ground floore retail.

Well.....Grubb just completed the purchase of the Burger King land. It was a huge hold-up as they couldn't agree to terms with BK for buying them out of their land lease. I believe it ended up costing Grubb a lot of cash plus building a new location, but I don't have any specific numbers.

With the final parcel for the Whole Foods site assembled, things should be a go. They asked their architect to get started on finalizing plans a couple of months ago. Last time I talked to people at Grubb (maybe 3 months ago) they were expecting a 1Q 2007 groundbreaking.

Grubb also purchased another building on Elizabeth about two weeks ago. They rehabbed a building on 7th for the owner of the Elizabeth building, and did a building exchange with them. So, it seems they are steadily moving along. Besides the six-story building on the other side of the yellow (Re-elect Pay McCrory) house that they have been marketing, they are also quietly shopping another building across Elizabeth (I think where the NoFo parking lot is) that is a three-story walk-up office building. Of course all the buildings will have ground floore retail.

Of course, but all of this is a trickle compared to their initial publicity and the vast amount of land they already have. They tore down Tonic prematurely if they are working at this pace, and have had plenty of other parcels from 3rd all the way to parts of Independence Park. The BK was only a small piece, why not build on all the other land? Too much going on with SouthPark it would appear.