Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiny, but retail none the less:

1233 Central Avenue

• Detailed Scope of Work: During this preliminary meeting, I'd like to get an understanding of how the railroad right of way will affect my use. I would like to develop the land into a small (1500+/-sqft) retail location.

What's interest about this is that the applicant is Fuel Pizza. I wonder if they're just looking to relocate to own the real estate and have more parking, or if there's something happening at their current location. That parcel combined with the Nova's is fairly large (+1 ac) and a prominent corner. 

What's interest about this is that the applicant is Fuel Pizza. I wonder if they're just looking to relocate to own the real estate and have more parking, or if there's something happening at their current location. That parcel combined with the Nova's is fairly large (+1 ac) and a prominent corner. 

I'd be very upset to lose the Fuel pizza building.

Edited by Guest

Well it looks like "Catch On Seafood" opened over the weekend although they are still doing a little work on the inside,

Tried Catch On Seafood yesterday. $0.75 Oysters on Sunday, and great quality of seafood. I will definitely be giving this place my patronage.

Edited by swh1972

Not development related but SouthEnd and NoDa have a large social media network with 19.5k and 9k Twitter followers, respectively and post fun, informative and meaningful tweets hourly. They interact with their neighbors and those who are interested. Plaza Midwood, which is arguably the most established, diverse and has the biggest upside of the three has 1k and has not posted tweeted since 2010. It's just very interesting that they have 0 social media presence.

I'm considering creating a Twitter account called "Central & Plaza" and taking over from 500 miles away.

Not development related but SouthEnd and NoDa have a large social media network with 19.5k and 9k Twitter followers, respectively and post fun, informative and meaningful tweets hourly. They interact with their neighbors and those who are interested. Plaza Midwood, which is arguably the most established, diverse and has the biggest upside of the three has 1k and has not posted tweeted since 2010. It's just very interesting that they have 0 social media presence.

I'm considering creating a Twitter account called "Central & Plaza" and taking over from 500 miles away.

Do it!  I will follow you!

On a serious note, I will shoot a text over to a buddy on the PM neighborhood association.  Surely the account is operated by them.  I am in MONA, but hope to get more active in my assoc. but MONA carries a lot less weight than PM.

If the Fuel Pizza building is about to go, maybe it's time to think seriously about establishing Charlotte's first historic overlay for a commercial area, perhaps the mostly intact block between Pecan and Thomas either side of Central.

Isn't this area already covered by the PED overlay.  What does that say about these historic buildings?  Also, what about getting in touch with someone with the city to speak to them about extending that overlay down Central and increasing the potential for retail development.  I almost said "requiring retail" but I remembered the idea of form based zoning...  Regardless, with land between Louise and the train tracks filling in quickly, it seems like something should be done to make sure the area from The Plaza to Briar Creek is developed appropriately.  I believe I remember someone saying the PED overlay stops just past the HT.  I'll try to pull it up later today.

Those of us on this board are quick to critique developers and the city, but maybe it is time to try to influence change in the area.

PMNA is probably your best go-to. They even have that Fuel on the cover of Facebook.

https://twitter.com/plazamidwoodorg

https://www.facebook.com/PlazaMidwood

Where do you see that the applicant is Fuel?

Any news on the property at Central and Tippah Park Ct? This is the property next to McDonalds. I am surprised this hasn't been developed yet.

I believe the City currently owns it and will market it as soon as they are complete with the Lyons Court stormwater project that goes right through that property.

I believe the City currently owns it and will market it as soon as they are complete with the Lyons Court stormwater project that goes right through that property.

The property is currently owned by Jupiter Group, LLC, an NC llc.  It rolls up to Andrew Kastanes, Stamatios Tsilimos, and George Stergiou.  They have owned it since March, 2008.  Per the most recent newsletter, they are entering teh Bid Phase of the stormwater project:  http://charmeck.org/stormwater/Projects/Pages/LyonCourt.aspx

This probably overhangs the property a bit unless they city has already taken an easement or other right for any area they need.  No one like buying a property that is about to be the subject of an eminent domain taking.