Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The site next to McDonalds (to the east) is actually supposed to be a fast food restaurant. 

Interesting,  Here is the Accela link:  https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=15LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00033

I am not a fan of another fast food place, but a Chik fil a might be nice...and would make me plump.  

Interesting,  Here is the Accela link:  https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=15LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00033

I am not a fan of another fast food place, but a Chik fil a might be nice...and would make me plump.  

So is it a Chick Fil A or is that wishful thinking by you?

So is it a Chick Fil A or is that wishful thinking by you?

100% wishful thinking.  The notes on Accela simply say "fast food."  If it is fast food, I wouldn't mind a chik fil a.  However, I would prefer no fast food.  We have enough nearby and plenty of local options, though more local is always nice.  There have been a bunch of rumors about a Bruegger's going in on Central.  Maybe this is it?  

Anyone who knows even just a little about PM knows Chick-Fil-A (because of its controversial views on gay marriage) would not be a good fit for this neighborhood.

You know, I wrote a really nice response to this.  I touched on everything from the freedom of speech to Dan Cathy's honest remorse for his actions to what the company has done to sever ties with anti-gay organizations, but I am not going to share it with you.  I think I will take the high road and not personally retaliate.  However, I will respond with the following:

I have lived in this neighborhood for 7 years.  While that may mean I am a relative new comer, it also means that I know the neighborhood's generally progressive attitude intimately.  For me, and my friends in the neighborhood, that attitude extends to freedom of speech and freedom of belief.  We (my friends and I) do not want to live in a homogeneous neighborhood devoid of unique ideas.  The progressive attitude of this neighborhood is not singularly pro-LGBT; it is an attitude of openness and learning.  Coexisting with people of various viewpoints, backgrounds, and ethnicities is what makes this neighborhood great.  If that means a company that was formerly sponsoring anti-gay organizations, then so be it.  Guess what, I have republican friends in this neighborhood, and we have great conversations.

• Like 2

You know, I wrote a really nice response to this. I touched on everything from the freedom of speech to Dan Cathy's honest remorse for his actions to what the company has done to sever ties with anti-gay organizations, but I am not going to share it with you. I think I will take the high road and not personally retaliate. However, I will respond with the following:

I have lived in this neighborhood for 7 years. While that may mean I am a relative new comer, it also means that I know the neighborhood's generally progressive attitude intimately. For me, and my friends in the neighborhood, that attitude extends to freedom of speech and freedom of belief. We (my friends and I) do not want to live in a homogeneous neighborhood devoid of unique ideas. The progressive attitude of this neighborhood is not singularly pro-LGBT; it is an attitude of openness and learning. Coexisting with people of various viewpoints, backgrounds, and ethnicities is what makes this neighborhood great. If that means a company that was formerly sponsoring anti-gay organizations, then so be it. Guess what, I have republican friends in this neighborhood, and we have great conversations.

Very well said

Anyone who knows even just a little about PM knows Chick-Fil-A (because of its controversial views on gay marriage) would not be a good fit for this neighborhood.

Every friend I have is pro-gay marriage, gay rights, etc.

Every friend I have also eats Chick Fil A. My sister is gay, she goes to Chick Fil A.

Chick Fil A would kill it, even in gay friendly Plaza Midwood.

The reality is, most people aren't really all that political. They may get riled up about things in the short term, but most people don't care enough to carry out a boycott. 

I think it'd get more opposition for the simple fact that it isn't really urban in nature than because of the gay thing. I hope we don't get a Chick Fil A in the neighborhood personally. I'd like to see Central urbanize all the way down to at least Briar Creek eventually. I also work in P-M, so I don't want Chick Fil A because I'll end up eating there 2-3 times per week.

• Like 1

I too love Chick Fil A's little bite sizes of hate irregardless of my political affiliation, I don't think Chick Fil A is capable of an urban design, a drive thru in PM would be horrible. I love Chick Fil A but I dread driving to one, the ones in South End and Cotswold is hell enough just b/c of the layout and the long lines, I often have to go inside a Chick Fil A, which I don't mind, just to avoid the drive thru. 

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

So, would form based zoning make this fast food okay... assuming no rezoning, or conditional rezoning with community input would take place?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/McDonald's/@35.503695,-82.990672,3a,75y,310.54h,75.74t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s2cx7lwswFrMQs-cSz21BPg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xa57efd96cf77cae5

Edited by archiham04

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.503667,-82.990485,21.14z

So, would form based zoning make this fast food okay... assuming no rezoning, or conditional rezoning with community input would take place?

If the overlay as extended, then no.  I believe the overlay requires the drive thru to be in the rear of the building so no this would not be ok.  However, since the overlay does not extend that far, this area would likely get a building that is not urban friendly.  At least that is my understanding.

I'm gay & I love Chick-Fil-A

As long as its a thoughtful design, I think it'd he a great addition

So explain, you want fast food if it's a "thoughtful design" but you'll take canyons of apartments (which we are seeing in and around PM) any way you can get them. ...

As for freedom of speech, you can say what you like, but you might take some heat from time to time. I, for one (and I don't expect you to care, nor understand) do not support Chick-Fil-A. Is that OK? I'm OK with you totally supporting Chick-Fil-A.

So explain, you want fast food if it's a "thoughtful design" but you'll take canyons of apartments (which we are seeing in and around PM) any way you can get them. ...

As for freedom of speech, you can say what you like, but you might take some heat from time to time. I, for one (and I don't expect you to care, nor understand) do not support Chick-Fil-A. Is that OK? I'm OK with you totally supporting Chick-Fil-A.

Well here in Huntersville & Cornelius, I think we do an excellent job with our zoning codes (especially for a suburb). 100x Better codes than Charlotte. Fast food; gas stations, housing developments, etc.

All of the developments here are built to the street including fast food & gas stations and the housing developments being built (and the dozens already) are built with no culdesacs and they have parking in the back of the houses. Lots of villages are built and being built. So yes, I think fast food can be thoughtful to the area as best as it can be. At Target in Metropolitan, I think it would be a huge upgrade to turn the Wendy's sideways, push it to the very front of Kings with parking and drive thru hidden from the Road. I'm not saying that's the best use for that lot, I'm saying its at least mindful of its surroundings.

And I don't support chick-fil-a.... But I don't not support them. It's fast food. I think it's equally as absurd that people don't support General Mills cereal for being progressive on gay rights.

Huntersville, Cornelius & Davidson all have form based zoning. Even for the rural obscure parts of our towns.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

^I would love to find local examples of good urban fast food design nearby. Can you post some Google Street views? I tried the "Huntersville Chick-fil-A" but struck out.

..."Mooresville Chick-fil-A" not a winner either.

What does Mooresville have to do with anything?

McDonalds on Gilead, for example.

http://x.lnimg.com/photo/poster_768/ea86b9c969a74584a17ae7ca00a2268f.jpg (you can't see McD's here it's a little further down but it's still built to the street, parking obscured from street.

And certain places were built prior to the zoning codes. Family Dollar in Plaza Midwood for example

I'm not advocating fast food, I'm saying it wouldn't be bad if they used form based zoning like LKN. If you don't think Plazs should have that, fine.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

The grocery wars in Sedgefield between Teeter and Publix have me thinking about when another grocery store (not including Healthy Home Market because it is niche) will open in Plaza Midwood.

The Midwood teeter is crazy busy all the time now, and with more and more apartments coming online in the area, it seems like there is/will be shortly enough demand for another grocery in the neighborhood.

Honestly, teeter should have built a deck parking lot instead of surface.

Could Northwood Ravin potentially put a Publix in their mixed use development at Veteran's Park?

• Like 1

What does Mooresville have to do with anything?

McDonalds on Gilead, for example.

http://x.lnimg.com/photo/poster_768/ea86b9c969a74584a17ae7ca00a2268f.jpg (you can't see McD's here it's a little further down but it's still built to the street, parking obscured from street.

And certain places were built prior to the zoning codes. Family Dollar in Plaza Midwood for example

I'm not advocating fast food, I'm saying it wouldn't be bad if they used form based zoning like LKN. If you don't think Plazs should have that, fine.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to put anyone down, I just truly didn't know of any examples.  Here is a street view also.  This is pretty strong.

The grocery wars in Sedgefield between Teeter and Publix have me thinking about when another grocery store (not including Healthy Home Market because it is niche) will open in Plaza Midwood.

The Midwood teeter is crazy busy all the time now, and with more and more apartments coming online in the area, it seems like there is/will be shortly enough demand for another grocery in the neighborhood.

Honestly, teeter should have built a deck parking lot instead of surface.

Could Northwood Ravin potentially put a Publix in their mixed use development at Veteran's Park?

I have been saying that HT was a missed opportunity for a while. I think they should have done one full floor of underground parking, 50-70 spots above ground, and lined the opposite corner with additional retail spaces.

Thanks. I wasn't trying to put anyone down, I just truly didn't know of any examples.  Here is a street view also.  This is pretty strong.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.079829,-81.09535,3a,75y,70.99h,80.37t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGkULA5GEKHYAL8F999JSog!2e0

This is my favorite McDonalds in the country. They have a walkup window instead of a drive through. LOVE IT.

Edited by Guest