Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and applicable street view.

That I could get behind...

Another grocery store would be great.  Northwood Ravin has a ton of room for their Phase 2, but I would assume you would want direct access of Central.  I always wondered if a grocery store would be the catalyst for development further down Central.  However, with the development of NoDa, Belmont, Optimst Park, and N. Tryon, I would think you a developer would try to do something closer to that end of central.  Maybe down Hawthorne if they could get their hands on one of the large industrial parcels.

What about the corner with the church?  I know it is already slated for apartments, but what about a grocery store on the ground floor?  While it would increase traffic, it might reduce the number of people going all the way down Central.  For example, NoDa residents head north up Hawthorne instead of the Plaza and Elizabeth, Oakhurst, Eastover residents that shop here (because they work in Uptown and don't want to go to Cotswold) would head south down Hawthorne.  Belmont and Uptown residents head back in via 10th.  Could this actually reduce the traffic going through the heart of PM?

I thought I'd read at one point that HT or maybe another grocer was interested in the property at 10th and Seigle.

It's not PM, but it is close and could definitely service PM residents in addition to Belmont, Optimist Park, Villa Heights, and First Ward residents. I know some of those probably don't have ideal income potential at the moment, but all those areas are gentrifying pretty quickly.

The Harris Teeter folks really did miss their opportunities in PM and Myers Park.  Both stores should have had subterranean or podium parking. Publix has podium stores everywhere in Florida.  Parking underneath, but with a street-facing facade of small supportive retail (flowers, liquor, Starbucks).

Absolutely Agree. Especially since they knocked out a Hardware store for the Myers Park one.

I feel like Plaza Midwood is urban enough of a neighborhood, that nobody should be building surface parking, anywhere, ever.

Absolutely Agree. Especially since they knocked out a Hardware store for the Myers Park one.

I feel like Plaza Midwood is urban enough of a neighborhood, that nobody should be building surface parking, anywhere, ever.

Not to mention the surface lot they have has insufficient parking anyway. Going there after work on on a weekend during peak hours is a terrible idea.

Yuck there is a presubmit meeting scheduled for a Hookah bar on Central. I'm assuming this would be above Lunchbox records. I used to love hookah bars, until one opened 85 feet from my front door in Brooklyn.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00260

Many thumbs down on this......

Yuck there is a presubmit meeting scheduled for a Hookah bar on Central. I'm assuming this would be above Lunchbox records. I used to love hookah bars, until one opened 85 feet from my front door in Brooklyn.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDR&capID2=00000&capID3=00260

There is actually already one at the intersection of Morningside and Central.  The southeast corner upstairs.  I have never been inside as it (i) I am not a hookah fan and (ii) it looks pretty seedy.

I don't understand, what's wrong with hookah bars? There was one over on Commonwealth and I don't remember anyone complaining. This should do well and if its above Lunchbox that's a pretty good utilization of the space that wouldn't be good for much else. 

I guess Brooklyn Hookah Bars are different that Charlotte Hookah Bars. The one by my house doesn't really attract the most savory of crowds, and the smell of strawberry Shisha all day gets old very quickly.

I guess Brooklyn Hookah Bars are different that Charlotte Hookah Bars. The one by my house doesn't really attract the most savory of crowds, and the smell of strawberry Shisha all day gets old very quickly.

We have quite a few already, ranging from a handful of low-end ones to places like Crave, a relatively high-end dessert and cocktail lounge that happens to also have hookahs and they are very popular. Metropolitan Cafe in Brevard Court (Turkish restaurant) and Barreled at the Lift at Park Road also come to mind. I think one that also is a functional mid-range bar (most "authentic" middle eastern hookah places are not, for obvious reasons) would do very well in PM and would be a place that I would consider checking out. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thirsty Beaver is going to be a part of the larger CampusWorks multifamily project from what I have heard. I heard this from a reliable source that is involved in the project. 

I wish they would save and repurpose the church and turn it either into a music venue or into a retail marketplace much like Limelight in Chelsea. http://www.limelightshops.com. Then they could build around it, Honestly I could give a crap about The Thirsty Beaver, it will find a home elsewhere. 

Edited by Guest

Honestly I could give a crap about The Thirsty Beaver, it will find a home elsewhere. 

Where, exactly? When every new 'luxury apartment' complex is constructed with little to no retail space along one of the busiest corridors in Charlotte, finding space for retail to serve new residents is getting to be more and more difficult.  

CampusWorks project is supposed to have around 12-15k of retail if I remember correctly. 

By "going to be a part of" I meant that the parcel is included in their overall development plan, so the beaver will get plowed...if you know what I mean.

• Like 2