Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Where, exactly? When every new 'luxury apartment' complex is constructed with little to no retail space along one of the busiest corridors in Charlotte, finding space for retail to serve new residents is getting to be more and more difficult.  

Luckily CampusWorks will have 10k sq feet retail. I do agree with you however, there is not even close to enough retail being included in these projects. One day we will see a complete repurposing of the Family Dollar Strip Mall into an extension of "Downtown Plaza Midwood" with Shops and restaurants and apartments. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this new? A rezoning petition to build a 105-unit apartment project on Central, between Nadina Street and Landis Avenue:

http://www.charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2015Petitions/Pages/2015-056.aspx

The word from online postings is that this is a speculative rezoning.  "Tommy" owns his building and has not agreed to sell.  I would assume someone has purchased an option from him to get this conversation started.

Wow, that's kind of the best case scenario. I've only been to Littlespoon twice so far but I honestly feel it might be the most exciting thing currently happening in Charlotte's dining scene. It's exactly the kind of mid-price creative casual food nerd spot that we have never had a lot of while they thrive in Atlanta and Charleston. I'm assuming this one will probably be open for dinner from the get go!

Looks like the penguin will become the latest location for littleSpoon.

YESSS! littleSpoon is so better than penguin ever was. Now if we could get littleSpoon and other local eateries to open locations at CLT ;)

But in all seriousness, it's the best thing that could happen to the site. Very happy about this. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Woah, yeah that looks great, would love to see that down Central.

On another note: anyone have any update on workmans friend???

Just looked inside there today. Paper is off the windows nearest the intersection but instead they have what looks like a plastic barrier hanging a few feet inside blocking things. I was able to look through a couple of holes and it looks like a sizeable amount of work is still left to do. Mostly cosmetic/final touches, but a lot of it. Edited by go_vertical

Just looked inside there today. Paper is off the windows nearest the intersection but instead they have what looks like a plastic barrier hanging a few feet inside blocking things. I was able to look through a couple of holes and it looks like a sizeable amount of work is still left to do. Mostly cosmetic/final touches, but a lot of it.

Wonder what their funding situation is like. This project seems to have been taking forever, but I guess they did have a TON of work to do. I wish they would start ramping up a social media presence to give us an idea what kind of bar they are targeting themselves to be. I like dandelion a lot so I have high expectations for this space.

Its a pretty good sized space isnt it?

Wonder what their funding situation is like. This project seems to have been taking forever, but I guess they did have a TON of work to do. I wish they would start ramping up a social media presence to give us an idea what kind of bar they are targeting themselves to be. I like dandelion a lot so I have high expectations for this space.

Its a pretty good sized space isnt it?

It is huge.

Normally I hate to see brick painted, but I think the building looks much improved. It looks like they're going to paint the woodwork around the entrance a brownish gray color. I saw color samples painted on there today.

I'm very excited about the place, and love what they're doing, but I also think they missed a great opportunity to open up that massive brick wall facing Zada's and put some big windows in. Thomas St and Zada Jane's seems like the perfect setting to take in while grabbing a drink. Bakersfield and Little Spoon seem to have nailed it when it comes to bringing the outside in, I just wish that little stretch of Central Ave could become more like that. 

I'm very excited about the place, and love what they're doing, but I also think they missed a great opportunity to open up that massive brick wall facing Zada's and put some big windows in. Thomas St and Zada Jane's seems like the perfect setting to take in while grabbing a drink. Bakersfield and Little Spoon seem to have nailed it when it comes to bringing the outside in, I just wish that little stretch of Central Ave could become more like that. 

Could be structural. It's an old building, so the brick probably isn't just a facade, it is likely the actual wall that supports the building.

I'm not an engineer or anything, but I would imagine that knocking bricks out of a supporting wall would be a bad idea.

Guess I shoulda looking on CO before asking my question. They posted this Sunday. It's slated to open late April and the side facing Zeda Jane's will have a mural. I'm okay with that instead of windows.

http://charlottethingstodo.blogspot.com/2015/03/irish-pub-coming-to-plaza-midwood.html

Edited by Jayvee

Don't remember hearing much if anything about the possibility for a Faison MF development on 7th. http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/04/faison-planning-apartments-for-prime-corner-in.html

"Faison Enterprises Inc. is exploring the development of a 160-unit apartment complex with ground-floor retail space at the corner of East Seventh Street and Caswell Road, at a 1.5-acre site in Elizabeth that's home to restaurants Jackalope Jacks and Philosopher’s Stone Tavern, according to real estate sources. . .The Elizabeth property consists of three parcels at the corner of Seventh and Caswell that are occupied by several commercial buildings, including the restaurants. The land is controlled by the three managing partners of investment firm Pamlico Capital, records show. Watts Hamrick at Pamlico could not be reached for comment."