Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Totally agree.  There needs to be a left turn lane there.  I also think a traffic study should be done for the Central Ave. area between Hawthorne and Nandina.  With the car traffic, bus traffic, pedestrian traffic (including the large amount of jaywalkers crossing Central instead of crossing at Thomas or Pecan) and street parking on the southside of Central, something needs to be done.  I feel like I'm going to get in a wreck or hit someone whenever I travel through that stretch--so I stick to Commonwealth and Hamorton.  

Crossing Central on Pecan, north or southbound is also difficult, because of the offset alignment of Pecan and people turning left on either side.

Would adding a light at Clement help control flow? Also, I use to think the on street parking on Central between Pecan and Thomas was a hazard, however on  nights and weekends that might be the only thing keeping the stretch safe for pedestrians and vehicle traffic.

Left turn lane is a good idea.  I also think they either need to drastically reduce the street parking times or get rid of them.  The last change needs to be to eliminate Nova driveway.  People turning in and out of there are always skrewing up traffic.  They could consolidate parking in the back and turn the side parking into a patio of sorts.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And speaking of traffic, I think they should put a left turn signal in for West bound traffic on Central turning onto Pecan.  That would help accelerate the movement of traffic through PM proper.  Also, eliminating the bus stop or moving it to the other side of the intersection would help as well.  There is stop in front of the library and in front of Midwood Smokehouse.  Those two stops more than service those blocks.

The question then becomes, do Midwoodians (?) really want faster traffic through their pedestrian/commercial district? 

The question then becomes, do Midwoodians (?) really want faster traffic through their pedestrian/commercial district? 

Personally, I do not want traffic speed to increase through the PM business district on Central.  However I think things can be done to improve flow of traffic and safety for pedestrians and motor vehicles, but I think increasing speed or leaving things as they are as the density increases is only asking for trouble.

Steps I would take:

1.  Add left turn signal for westbound Central Ave. traffic onto Pecan

2.  Remove bus stop in front of Nova's

3.  Stagger southbound and northbound traffic lights at Pecan Ave. and Central (northbound Pecan goes first, and then southbound--when one has green the other is red).

4.  Review on street parking times

5.  Left turn signal for westbound Central Ave. traffic onto Plaza (at the Teeter)

6.  Install crosswalks across the Plaza at Hamorton for pedestrians

7.  Enfore jaywalking statutes along Central Ave in the business district much like CMPD did in Uptown a few years ago.

I'm sure there are others?

^ Since Central basically parallels Independence why not just give it the East blvd road diet from Eastway to CPCC?

IMO the neighborhood would be greatly improved by a better pedestrian environment.  A couple of (possibly) parking protected bike lanes would make a huge difference to accessibility as well. The on street parking protecting the bike lanes could be removed to build Streetcar Phase III in dedicated ROW (if it ever happens).   

Edited by kermit

This place has so much potential but it's vulnerable as a community right now. It only takes one Walmart or another business that dominates a whole block that can kill it. To me, the block with the Family Dollar and CVS have way too much parking and take up way too much space. They block the possible construction of new on-street shops like Nova's Bakery, breaking up the landscape. I'm hoping 'The Nook' is just incomplete otherwise the facade's on the sides are a total eyesore.

Over-all, way too much development is centered around the car and doesn't respect the historical flavor of the neighborhood. It will stop the community from continuing to grow as a charming neighborhood.

I totally understand the NIMBY's  concern about the apartments if they keep up this modernist garbage in a brick-and-mortar area.

This place has so much potential but it's vulnerable as a community right now. It only takes one Walmart or another business that dominates a whole block that can kill it. To me, the block with the Family Dollar and CVS have way too much parking and take up way too much space. They block the possible construction of new on-street shops like Nova's Bakery, breaking up the landscape. I'm hoping 'The Nook' is just incomplete otherwise the facade's on the sides are a total eyesore.

Over-all, way too much development is centered around the car and doesn't respect the historical flavor of the neighborhood. It will stop the community from continuing to grow as a charming neighborhood.

I totally understand the NIMBY's  concern about the apartments if they keep up this modernist garbage in a brick-and-mortar area.

The Nook is an absolute travesty. It's almost like they're counting on that Dairy Queen being demolished eventually so their ugly facade can be hidden.

I like what Plaza25 behind Midwood Smokehouse did. They did a pretty nice job trying to blend their style into the neighborhood. Obviously you're never going to make an apartment building look just like a bungalow, but they at least tried to incorporate some craftsman elements into the design. No retail, but retail probably wouldn't do well there anyway.

I think that on street parking should be increased in this area to slow people down.  If you are worried about how fast you can drive through PM CBD you need to check yourself.

It's probably one of the best ideas to push forward. Anything that promotes walk ability and safer street will help the small shops in the neighborhood. The point of that road should be the center of the community and thus open to safe traffic, not so joe-shmoe can get to downtown Charlotte quicker.

I am with you in that the historic feel of the "main street" area of PM is awesome, and unique and creates an awesome urban landscape, but think about this one for a moment:

Like it or not, traditional retail (especially local, startup retail) is reliant on parking...even in PM.  very few businesses can afford to have inconvenient parking...  awesome restaurants and bars probably fit the "i will walk a block or two and wait 30 min for seat".  The alternative is structured parking, but that drives up rent and muscles out the local folks...  Which leads us to:  "well people should just walk".  Well as urban as PM feels, the number of people who actually live within a quarter mile radius of the CBD is very small.  So that brings you to "well just increase the density"... oh no...  now we have apartments that "are destroying the very character of the neighborhood that we are trying to perpetuate".  I don't think the solution is "just make everything more urban".  I also don't think that the solution is to stop all development.  A middle ground needs to be found and the current development models that folks are proposing in the city and the neighborhood don't fit.

• Like 4

Is it just physically impossible for developers to build two to three story brick and mortar buildings? They could have retail and offices on the first floor and then apartments on the rest. The front facade could face Main Street. Therefore buildings fit relatively close to the historical vibe while providing varied uses?

Is it just physically impossible for developers to build two to three story brick and mortar buildings? They could have retail and offices on the first floor and then apartments on the rest. The front facade could face Main Street. Therefore buildings fit relatively close to the historical vibe while providing varied uses?

Physically impossible? No. Financially impossible? In some cases.

With new construction, you're going to have to charge a pretty high price per square foot for retail. Those retail spaces will either be empty or get filled with national chains, which will just piss off a lot of people for destroying the character of the neighborhood.

If it sits empty, then that is money the developer is losing by not collecting rent from apartment residents each month. Apartments are virtually guaranteed to rent, retail space not so much.

As a developer in a neighborhood like PM, you're going to be hated, by someone, no matter what you do.

Hi everyone. I want to make you all aware of a petition to express opposition for the rezoning of the 7 land parcels that include Backstage Vintage Apparel and Tommy's Pub on Central Avenue. Those who are opposing the rezoning petition want to see the land utilized to its maximum potential, and in a way that will better maintain the character of the neighborhood. I'm new to the page but see that many are unhappy with the direction that development is taking in PM. Whatever your take on development, I think we can all agree that it should be done consciously, and with input from the neighborhood community. I have seen here and elsewhere concerns about the amount of luxury housing being developed in the area, and as planned, this complex will be yet another.

Here is a link to the event page for the rezoning, which takes place this coming Monday, May 18 at 6 p.m.:

https://www.facebook.com/events/827162037318892/

Here is a link to the petition:

http://tinyurl.com/rezoning2015-56

Thank you so much. Let's do what we can to keep our neighborhood amazing.

Hi everyone. I want to make you all aware of a petition to express opposition for the rezoning of the 7 land parcels that include Backstage Vintage Apparel and Tommy's Pub on Central Avenue. Those who are opposing the rezoning petition want to see the land utilized to its maximum potential, and in a way that will better maintain the character of the neighborhood. I'm new to the page but see that many are unhappy with the direction that development is taking in PM. Whatever your take on development, I think we can all agree that it should be done consciously, and with input from the neighborhood community. I have seen here and elsewhere concerns about the amount of luxury housing being developed in the area, and as planned, this complex will be yet another.

Here is a link to the event page for the rezoning, which takes place this coming Monday, May 18 at 6 p.m.:

Welcome to Urban Planet!

I can't seem to access the Facebook page, but I can access the petition.

I don't feel strongly about this. The neighborhood looks like it needs more density or this type of development. I'm just worried how the apartment will look and if it will fit the character of the neighborhood. The floor plan doesn't include renderings (and renderings can lie too.) If it's anything like The Nook, I will sign it in a heartbeat.

Try to request renderings or floor plans for the second floor.

In the end, it's the owners choice of the current establishment whether or not they will sell out. 

Edited by mazman34340

Let me start by saying that this movement has 0 chance at making an impact on the rezoning. There is a willing buyer and seller, and it adheres to the neighborhood overlay. This kind of density is what was sought after when people originally were seeking to make this a TOD and PED friendly corridor. It's progress. This particular project, based on its distance from the plane midwood CBD, is the best case scenario for the neighborhood, as it replaces the former site of a gas station, vacant space, a vintage store that is already moving to Monroe, and a dive bar that is going to move anyways.

With that said, the real positive is it's real chance is to show that our people care about what is built in our neighborhoods. That's the take away.

Tommys pub is not saveable.

Edited by Guest

I agree with RDF and Midwoodian.  This project is great, and I really want to see it.  It expands density down Central, and adds people to the area.  We need a higher density to continue to support a robust CBD and additional retail.  Also, this site is small enough to prevent it from being a massive full block complex like the ones going up near Louise.

In terms of the petition, it seems to be against any additional multifamily development and fails to set forth what type of MF it would support and what aspects of this development (other than it being MF) are an issue.  While it claims no research has gone into the potential of over building MF, they provide no evidence that MF is being overbuilt.  This petition has 588 signors, there is no way to tell how many of those live in the area.  Those of us that support development should go to the meeting to support the project.  THe sad thing is this is probably one of the better projects in the area, people are just anti-development and progress.

• Like 3

I would be amused if it goes through and it turns out to be a modernist peice of garbage but I've looked at the sight plan and it shows no red flags. Infact, it would do a couple awesome things like planting street trees. I'm just disappointed in all the parking. Even if its placed behind the building, it takes up a lot of space.

Hurray renderings. I'm happy to see retail on the first floor, streetide trees, parking placed in the back, and minimal setback. This gets the new urbanist seal of approval as far as I can tell.

My understanding is the PM Neighborhood Association supports this project.

As for contamination, a release of hazardous substances would generally limit the use to industrial or commercial, no residential.  However, just because there was a gas station, does not mean there was a release.  Also hydrocarbons breakdown relatively quickly compared to some other substances, so time can remediate minor releases as well.  As I recall there were not monitoring wells or venting systems on the property prior to the demo for the current project, so I would guess that any contamination was below dangerous levels a long time ago.