Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Generally speaking, people act and dress the same. Dress like a thug, act like a thug. Look like a duck, quack like a duck. Dress like a bum, you're most likely a bum. There are exceptions to the rules. 

If people in PM are worried about the rising cost of housing/living - then it's time to buck-up and go get a job, stop letting society and the 'man' drag you down, or simply move to a place that you can afford. This is the nature of evolution; not section 8 housing. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, people act and dress the same. Dress like a thug, act like a thug. Look like a duck, quack like a duck. Dress like a bum, you're most likely a bum. There are exceptions to the rules. 

If people in PM are worried about the rising cost of housing/living - then it's time to buck-up and go get a job, stop letting society and the 'man' drag you down, or simply move to a place that you can afford. This is the nature of evolution; not section 8 housing. 

Most "Hipsters," a term that is honest a little passé, I know are highly employed and highly educated, I don't know what hipsters are like down there, but I think you are referring to a completely different group of people. Honestly it sounds like you want a vanilla white washing of a diverse neighborhood that is great because of its diversity of different socioeconomic groups. You know what you sound like? This is what you sound like. 

Get-Off-My-Lawn.jpg

A legend - I'll take it! If you don't know what I'm referring to, then I wouldn't comment on my post. You just sound like someone that doesn't know the local community. 

There was an underlying theme to Gran Torino - help people that did the community good; get rid of those who brought it down. 

Thanks for more eloquently stating what I wanted to say. I hate the term hipster (and how many distinctly different groups of people could you lazily apply that term to?) but many people would probably see me as one. To think that someone sees me hanging out at CM and immediately assumes I'm some kind of bum, not seeing my office, diploma, or paycheck, says a lot about that person. Frankly there are plenty of neighborhoods where people who are that judgmental can stay mostly insulated from those other types of people when they want to buy craft beer. 

I have a long beard, I cut my hair weird, sometimes wear vintage hats and clothes and I wear tight pants and love to wear polkadots and bold patterns. I'm often called "A Hipster" A term that is stupid as hell. I'm also a Marketing Director, an entrepreneur, contribute as writer to multiple publications and blogs, and am well respected by my peers. Not to toot my own horn, but the term Hipster needs to die.

Edited by Guest

Best explanation of Hipster... ever.

I cannot like this enough.  Hilarious.

I have nothing against "hipsters", but for the leader of the protest about this building to claim that the artist deserve space to live when she did not to provide for poor residents while she "built" the neighborhood is just hypocritical.  Interestingly, I do NOT (edit) see this woman standing up for the remodeling of the Aurora Apartments or Birchcroft Apartments.  The rental increases of these locations and others like it will continue to price their current residents out of the neighborhood which could lead to the loss of restaurants and shops like Pho Hoa, Dim Sum, and the various Pupusarias and hispanic and asian food markets along Central.  Actually, there is even more irony here because these apartments are probably going up in rent to the point where the artists she is referring to will actually live in them.

More importantly than the discussion of hipsters is what can be done to support this project, that I think most on here agree is a positive for the neighborhood.

Edited by pgsinger

Troll alert everyone.

I'm more offended by those two mega block apartments at sunny side and Lamar. In a neighborhood like plaza-Midwood a developer should never be able to dominate a block like that.

Also, the more I look, the more I see that shopping strip with the Family Dollar needs to go. That block contains a lot of parking that warps the landscape and clashes with the great historical street nearby. It contains a fairly small number of buisinesses.

I would save the cvs and the businesses at the bottom but everything else I say should go.

I have a long beard, I cut my hair weird, sometimes wear vintage hats and clothes and I wear tight pants and love to wear polkadots and bold patterns. I'm often called "A Hipster" A term that is stupid as hell. I'm also a Marketing Director, an entrepreneur, contribute as writer to multiple publications and blogs, and am well respected by my peers. Not to toot my own horn, but the term Hipster needs to die.

hip·sternoun
informal 
a person who follows the latest trends and fashions, especially those regarded as being outside the cultural mainstream.

What is wrong with the term hipster? Its the morons that think dressing in non-traditional clothes means they think and act in non-traditional ways.  You sound like you a dress like a hipster. That's cool. It shouldn't make people think you are homeless musician begging for a PBR while you cruise on your fixie on the weekend.

I still think 99% of people still think a hipster is about what a person wears, not who they are. 

Edited by InSouthPark

I hate to be off topic but I think "hipster" is the absolute biggest compliment. I think among Millenials, with 4 year degrees or in college, Hipster is a popular thing to be. Eating organic, local music, into the local art scene, anti-corporate, mass transit, etc. is the rage (at least among educated Millenials) these days.

I wish I was Hipster. Though, I don't like art, I don't like local music and I'm kind of bad at not supporting local (though to be fair, it seems like women get 100x the local stores men get)

I'm completey not Hipster, but to me, that word is a huge compliment. Aren't a lot of cities these days touting being hip or having hip districts?

For those who keep defending or commentary on the actual term hipster - you're not listening to what's going on in PM. To keep everyone happy, I'll pull both themes together! My personal opinion, there are two types of Hipsters - the working class and non-working class Hipsters. I'm cool with people that dress fashionable, hold down jobs, and live within their means. This is what PM needs, for both growth and keeping it's historical values. What PM doesn't need is the non-working Hipster; lives on a coach, doesn't shower, has a non-reliable job, has a running tab at CM ;) and most importantly LIVES OUTSIDE THEIR MEANS IN PM!!! These hipsters will hold growth and redevelopment back in PM. 

Rents will continue to grow in and around Charlotte, PM included. To keep rent's low, there has to be more product available in the market (ie apartments). It's referred to as the law of supply and demand. If people continue to move to PM and there isn't more apartments available, rents will drastically increase as the apartments online (in the market) will be heavily sought after. However, I do agree that Morningside Village, which will consist of 401 units located on the backside of Veterans Park, is a bit too much. I wish the city, not the developer, pushed them to create/maintain the PM 'feel.' 

For those people that want to 'shed' apartments in PM or stop apartment construction; realize what you're doing - pushing prices up! 

• Like 2

For those who keep defending or commentary on the actual term hipster - you're not listening to what's going on in PM. To keep everyone happy, I'll pull both themes together! My personal opinion, there are two types of Hipsters - the working class and non-working class Hipsters. I'm cool with people that dress fashionable, hold down jobs, and live within their means. This is what PM needs, for both growth and keeping it's historical values. What PM doesn't need is the non-working Hipster; lives on a coach, doesn't shower, has a non-reliable job, has a running tab at CM ;) and most importantly LIVES OUTSIDE THEIR MEANS IN PM!!! These hipsters will hold growth and redevelopment back in PM. 

Rents will continue to grow in and around Charlotte, PM included. To keep rent's low, there has to be more product available in the market (ie apartments). It's referred to as the law of supply and demand. If people continue to move to PM and there isn't more apartments available, rents will drastically increase as the apartments online (in the market) will be heavily sought after. However, I do agree that Morningside Village, which will consist of 401 units located on the backside of Veterans Park, is a bit too much. I wish the city, not the developer, pushed them to create/maintain the PM 'feel.' 

For those people that want to 'shed' apartments in PM or stop apartment construction; realize what you're doing - pushing prices up! 

Don't troll me bro!

Getting rid of the strip center, adding on street parking to central Ave., add a pedestrian bridge over Jackson. This area has a lot of potential. I am hoping to convince my parents to take a look into this for real estate. The downtown area is garbage with overpriced plots and too many mega projects clogging up the area. It's these historical neighborhoods is where I see charlotte's culture can thrive. Though it's quite vulnerable now. It only takes a couple bad projects...

The pedestrian bridge I'd really like to see is over the CSX RR between Sunnyside and the back part of the Hatcher (Cole Mfg) complex. Commonwealth could be extended across Pecan as well, or at least wide walkways aligned with Commonwealth. These old warehouses could be like Charlotte's version of Durham's Brightleaf Square.

Getting rid of the strip center, adding on street parking to central Ave., add a pedestrian bridge over Jackson. This area has a lot of potential. I am hoping to convince my parents to take a look into this for real estate. The downtown area is garbage with overpriced plots and too many mega projects clogging up the area. It's these historical neighborhoods is where I see charlotte's culture can thrive. Though it's quite vulnerable now. It only takes a couple bad projects...

....  loooooking for "Jackson".....  sounds like a cool place.  Where is it?

Cool. I'm not really a fan of the Beaver, but I would hate to see it go. I knew that area of land was going to get developed eventually and it was my hope that they'd simply build around the Beaver. I hope they also have some parking that they can make available to Beaver patrons (even if for a fee)

Don't know if this has been discussed yet, but word is that The Thirsty Beaver building  is going to be built around.

Their submittal excludes that parcel, so unless it's an error, I think you're correct. BAD news though, the submittal also says there will be ZERO retail. 

• Like 1

Their submittal excludes that parcel, so unless it's an error, I think you're correct. BAD news though, the submittal also says there will be ZERO retail. 

Terrible. That now gives us two huge projects on each side of the track with no retail.

I was okay with no retail in the Pollack Shores project since it was so far removed from the central business district of PM, but I was really hoping anything between Hawthorne and The Plaza would be required to have retail spaces.

At the very least, I wish they'd require these places include some free public parking in their decks if they are not going to include retail. At least that would provide some kind of benefit to the community so the residential streets aren't completely overwhelmed with parked cars.