Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Their submittal excludes that parcel, so unless it's an error, I think you're correct. BAD news though, the submittal also says there will be ZERO retail. 

Now why isn't the neighborhood raising hell about these 2 massive developments with no retail (one of which destroys currently active retail), instead of focusing on the smaller boutique project farther from the neighborhood center that does include retail?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because those 2 projects were rezoned before anyone had seen any bulldozers.  Now that people can see things get torn down, and the scale of what is replacing them... they are NOW paying attention to the rezoning petitions.

Edited by archiham04

Because those 2 projects were rezoned before anyone had seen any bulldozers.  Now that people can see things get torn down, and the scale of what is replacing them... they are NOW paying attention to the rezoning petitions.

Also, people care more about bars than they do pawn shops. Tommy's has nostalgia for some people. Nobody reminisces about vacant lots or that time they pawned their VCR to buy groceries.

Don't know if this has been discussed yet, but word is that The Thirsty Beaver building  is going to be built around.

.edith-macefield-02.jpg

coming soon to Plaza Midwood. 

edith-macefield-02_zpskrr7dvuw.png

I thoroughly enjoy how you're poking the bear over on the P-M facebook page :)

$100 says people are going to show up at the next Rezoning hearing wanting us to build around Tommys.

good grief. they think it's real  :ermm:  :ermm:  :ermm:

Cracks me up every time someone calls them Condos. Though I admit i would prefer that term to "APARTMENT COMPLEX" *Shudder* 

Seriously, no retail? I guess that would be more appropriate towards the historic stores to the left... but now it's a lot less attractive to me. I'm not a PM resident so I can't really judge until I get there.

I'm new on the forum, but I totally agree with some of the comments here. The heart of Plaza Midwood commercial area, which I consider the strip from Bistro le Bon down to the former Midwood High and including Commonwealth/Thomas/Gordon is really a mixed bag. I am disappointed to read that the new Legion Brewing is not going to offer food, but looking forward to the new restaurant in the Penguin space. As a mom with a young teenager, I like having places for him and his friends to walk and skate to get ice cream or pick up something from the store for me. I love being able to walk to most of my errands - salons, post office, pharmacy, bakery, etc. 

The biggest disappointment for me (beyond the gaping maw of the Family Dollar parking lot) is Common Market. I used to love walking over to get breakfast with my family or drop in for a soda and a sandwich at lunch. I regularly try to stop in there vs. CVS or Teeter or Starbucks when I just want a quick coffee, soda or snack. BUT....lately the patio there is disgusting, and I hate running that gauntlet to reach the shop.I  wouldn't dream of sitting out there to eat. It's dirty, for one thing and reeks with all the smokers, even in the morning. Most of the picnic tables are taken up with people on their 4th, 5th or 6th beer by 11 am -- yep, I counted the empties yesterday, just on one table. I still grabbed a snack and a Dr. Brown's, but I'm just about done with Common Market until they clean up their patio. 

Even my son and his friends say it's "sketch."

Thanks for listening - wish Common Market would.

Nova's isn't as bad, and I love their bread (cookies and pastries are often stale) but really wish they'd clean up their front area. There was a drunk sleeping on one of their sofas when I was in there the other day. The furniture looks like it was picked up off the curb. It'd be a nice coffee hangout if they spiffed it up just a little. 

Edited by ATxIn
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum ATxln. It's always nice to have input and opinions from residents of their respective neighborhoods. I don't live in PM but I do frequent the 'hood often and I do worry about the future of it. If the city doesn't start putting its foot down in regards to how the area develops for the future then much of its amazing character will be lost forever. Charlotte doesn't have too many pockets of funkyness and we need to hold on to what we have.

Good point about Nova's. I always thought Nova's had a lot of potential but everytime I go in the front area just seems dirty which makes me question the food. I feel like if they would fix it up they could be a pretty cool coffee shop. Plus they are on the right hand side for incoming traffic and have a parking lot. They could make a lot of money. Hopefully with the recent expansion they have some new ideas for the store.

Thanks. I think the city did a decent job with the walk zones and all of that around PM. I just really, really wish Common Market would clean up its act. I say that at the risk of sounding like a picky (almost) middle aged mom, but I'm fine with funky...it's nasty that I don't like. From a business standpoint, I wonder how many customers CM is losing by allowing their patio to become an unsavory hangout. 

Nova's shop does seem dirty. It's a shame because we could use a nice coffee shop along there. I stopped in today to get a loaf of bread, and instead of a guy sleeping in their front/side room, there was a couple making out, full on, horizontal position. About 1 pm. The people behind the counter were oblivious. 

That whole strip is in need of a good scrubbing and a lift of some kind. Nova's has issues, the antique store is a real head-scratcher (used underwear on the rack outside last week - bruh!) and opposite side of the street is sorta blah too....funky-dark-weird-not-in-a-good-way vintage stores, cafe that always seems closed. Never seen anyone actually going in or coming out of the reggae shop or Caribbean restaurant. 22 and Soul closed during the day. There was a huge lineup of folks outside Social Status; not sure what that was about. 

On the positive side, they're building a patio outside Healthy Home Market and Bistro Le Bon. The little building across the tracts with Pint Central is a real bright spot, too!

^^  If you see a market for a sanitized CM... open one up.  If it's legit, we'll shop there.  THAT is what PM is all about.

For now. I suspect that all the development occurring with apartments is not because these developers are wanting to endorse the PM vibe. I doubt that many of the people who eventually move into those apartments will do so because of the social character of the neighborhood either. Most will move there because of location to uptown and other close-in employment nodes. They will also like the proximity to HT, a post office and all the other amenities that can be walked to. I doubt many will be interested in the "vibe", although of course some will. Since many won't, I'd look for this area to start undergoing some cultural shift.