Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

Really? The site down on Central looks like fast food or something. With all these new apartments coming in up and down Central, I can't imagine how much harder it's going to be to park at Harris Teeter. I like to walk when I can, but when I drive, it's difficult to find a spot.

The link below will take you the Accela site (Accela is provided so the public can track the progress of rezoning applications and view the submitted plans.) for this development.  You can expand the "Attachments" category to access the filed plans.  For this one, click on the last PDF to download the approved site plans, which includes (on the last page) a rendering of the final project.  Personally, I think this one will either be amazing or really bad.  I like the use of blue and red, and the originality in the design.  However, it will be completely different from everything else in the area, which will be bad if it is not a great looking building (in my opinion at least).  You can also go back to page 75 of this topic and read some discussion about it.  You can also find a rendering there, but being new I thought you might find the Accela link helpful.  Generally, I think the consensus was very positive for this one as it is replacing a decrepit single family house and adding some density further down Central than we had seen to that point.  The downside is that there will be no retail and only a lounge/coffee area for tenants will be fronting Central, in addition to the garage entry.  However, this far down Central and having a relatively small frontage, people considered it not that bad.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=14LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00029

Also, since you are new to the group, you may find this map helpful as well.  It is incredibly useful and the people on here that maintain it are incredibly generous to share it with us and work so diligently to keep it up to date.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zVkgech8oPvQ.kAkwm8EIn_7Y

Finally, and I really don't mean this to come off as rude, but the search function is incredibly useful.  Many of these developments have been discussed a lot elsewhere in the forum.  So you may be able to find a ton of info on a specific project by running a search on the project name.  In this case you probably couldn't do it as easily because I don't think you knew this was called Marvel Apartments.  Anyway, it is a useful tool, and search engines are not always as useful in forums.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I biked around today and took a bunch of pictures of stuff in the neighborhood.  The first thing I did was circle all around the Morningside Village project.  When I did this last October things were just coming together.  However, now you can really see the scale of the project.  I knew it was big and obviously knew everything that was going in, but being there and going around it you get a real sense of its size and future impact.  I am curious to get everyone else's opinion on it when it is done, but I think they have done a great job using the alley as the entry to the parking which is all on the backside of the project.  The front will be the area with the plazas and public space.  They are using a very neutral cream/beige color which I know people won't love.  There is also a lot of brick work on the buildings fronting Morningside, so hopefully this will be a theme throughout to cut down on the cream/beige hardiplank siding.  The scale is massive.  I think this will be a big catalyst for more retail and development along Central beyond the "downtown" area of PM.

• Like 2

I wanted to put the rest of my pics in a different post since I took so many of Morningside.  So here are pictures of Marvel Apts, Tommy's, Levine's Apts on Commonwealth, Workman's Friend, Legion Brewing, the back of the Edison, and the store across from Thomas St. Tavern.

I apparently underestimated the size of Levine's Apts.  They take up all of the frontage on that block.  I am very curious to see how those come out.  Didn't people thing the materials were actually good on these (unlike the 10th St Apts.)?  Also, for Legion Brewing, I believe the initial plan was to demo both buildings adjacent to it.  However, it looks like they will be keeping the church building which fronts Commonwealth.  The building behind it is well on its way to being a parking lot.  They still have the Brodt sign up, which I think is the permanent plan as well.  The land slopes off as well, so you won't be able to see the parking lot from a car driving down the street which is a plus.  I also included a picture of the back of the Edison as I like what they did by focusing on the building's interaction with the street and putting all this stuff in the rear.  These 35-50 unit buildings are exactly what we need in PM, particularly when they have good street interaction.  The Edison could certainly have been much better with the activity on the front of the building, but it isn't that bad.  Finally, the building across from Thomas St Tavern is being renovated and looks like a bike shop might be going in!  That would fill a much needed void.  Anyone have any more info on this?

Is something really going in across from Thomas St. Tavern? I know a dumpster has appeared in front of there recently but I ask because the posters that have been popping up in the windows there seem questionable as a real "coming soon" sign. I first noticed one more than a year ago announcing something called whirly pig BBQ bombers. It also said "delivered by drone". I found it pretty funny and took a photo of it then. Since then it seems every few months a different poster with the same artistic style appears announcing a differect type of business altogether. I began thinking it was a local artist having a little fun.

Is something really going in across from Thomas St. Tavern? I know a dumpster has appeared in front of there recently but I ask because the posters that have been popping up in the windows there seem questionable as a real "coming soon" sign. I first noticed one more than a year ago announcing something called whirly pig BBQ bombers. It also said "delivered by drone". I found it pretty funny and took a photo of it then. Since then it seems every few months a different poster with the same artistic style appears announcing a differect type of business altogether. I began thinking it was a local artist having a little fun.

I didn't' know that.  This poster fits your description well as it says Whirly something.  Oh well.  Surely something will go in there soon.

Thanks for the Morningside pics!  I actually really like the townhomes.  Hopefully the apartments turn out good too.  In a recent NPR interview the guy that is developing Morningside said that his company builds most of their properties to condo standards.  Hopefully if condos become hot again, these can be sold.

Such a cool structure, wish they could've saved it in the design.  Would have been quirky to build it into the new structure, kind of like Peculiar Rabbit (extremely weird, but I could envision it being the elasing office of the apartment complex). 

Such a cool structure, wish they could've saved it in the design.  Would have been quirky to build it into the new structure, kind of like Peculiar Rabbit (extremely weird, but I could envision it being the elasing office of the apartment complex). 

This would have been even better.

http://www.limelightshops.com

mmshow2.jpg

mmshow3.jpg

mmshow5.jpg

I do enjoy these posters as they are quite tongue-in-cheek. I'll try to find the pic of the BBQ bombers one if I can. I'm skeptical we'll see anything in there any time soon. I think it's been empty ever since Fresh Produce was in there, and that was probably 15 years ago.

Amazingly I used to Shop at Fresh Produce about 12-13 years ago

God bless who-ever is making those posters. I should make my own. Rezoning posters for all the historic buildings downtown. Start a riot.

Edited by mazman34340

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of any redevelopment plans for the Green Memorial Baptist Church lot behind Ritas on Plaza?  As well as the old house across Hamorton on the Plaza that is owned by the church?

I have noticed a lack of use recently, high grass, and today saw them wheeling out a refrigerator from the house... 

Ridiculous traffic this morning on Central @ 8:45-ish. Backed up from the apartment worksite right next to the railroad tracks. Totally inconsiderate to motorists, blocked traffic during morning rush. They had cement trucks and dump trucks pulling in, backing out one after the other with nearly total disregard for traffic.

Ridiculous traffic this morning on Central @ 8:45-ish. Backed up from the apartment worksite right next to the railroad tracks. Totally inconsiderate to motorists, blocked traffic during morning rush. They had cement trucks and dump trucks pulling in, backing out one after the other with nearly total disregard for traffic.

Next week when they have the RR crossing closed for 4 days should be fun.