Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Tommy's project was just a lightning rod for folks in PM - the tipping point, after watching how the other developments have affected (or will affect) the area. I agree that the apartments slated for the Tommy's land are the best looking in the bunch, but this is the project that seems to have galvanized the neighborhood. I'm curious to know how the Plaza Midwood Merchants Association is coming along with efforts to have the city designate (some of) the business district as historic. 

I think the Tommy's project was just a lightning rod for folks in PM - the tipping point, after watching how the other developments have affected (or will affect) the area.

Very much agree with this. It's almost like we all have PTAD (post traumatic apartment disorder). We constantly get promised one thing and almost inevitably are delivered something world's different and as a result we have become so jaded that it's damn near impossible to trust any developer. I know whenever I see a rendering I am now trained to think only about 5 to 10 percent of what I'm looking at will actually become a reality.

It is very disappointing that cities in this state supposedly can no longer require design requirements. Personally I think that any exterior changes to a project once construction starts should require the developer to file for another approval. They can shut the site down until it gets the thumbs up or down. This might force them to actually be honest and submit the design they intend to build from the get go

• Like 1

Very much agree with this. It's almost like we all have PTAD (post traumatic apartment disorder). We constantly get promised one thing and almost inevitably are delivered something world's different and as a result we have become so jaded that it's damn near impossible to trust any developer. I know whenever I see a rendering I am now trained to think only about 5 to 10 percent of what I'm looking at will actually become a reality.

It is very disappointing that cities in this state supposedly can no longer require design requirements. Personally I think that any exterior changes to a project once construction starts should require the developer to file for another approval. They can shut the site down until it gets the thumbs up or down. This might force them to actually be honest and submit the design they intend to build from the get go

This is exactly the issue.  All of what RDF posted looks great, and if built the way it's shown, I believe me and the likes of the P-Midwood folks wouldn't be upset.  But I've conditioned myself to see a render and then expect the actual product to be much worse.  CHARLOTTE SYNDROME.

well let's be realistic here.  The NOOK was not a conditional rezoning, and the preliminary renderings were never "approved"  they were just presented... probably for marketing.  Any project that has no rezoning (like several under construction right now in PM) can and will change throughout the process... for better sometimes, and for worse sometimes.  The city or neighborhood can impose an aesthetic during the conditional rezoning process or through the small area planning overlay district-ing process.

This is my favorite view (from the Thomas St intersection). It looks like a medieval prison doing it's best to hide the skyline from Plaza Midwoodians.

attachicon.gifturd.JPG

Not sure that image was attached properly. What's the easiest way to drop in a JPEG?

Yuck

Never noticed how much It blocked out the skyline from this place. We should start a petition to get it fixed.

In other news, the townhouse project proposed by Bobby Drakeford, next to the Teeter has now been changed to a single-family home project.  I think 11 single-family homes, on very narrow lots.  The houses in the rezoning renderings indicate they are copying the pseudo-Victorians that Drakeford did on 8th St in First Ward (which actually have aged well I think).

i like this view of the nook... the rooftop condensers look like minions assembled, ready to attack:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.221276,-80.818336,3a,15y,96.82h,90.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVI1dS0AhTtOqwDycDU3ZMg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Hopefully the new development next to the RR tracks covers that view. Hideous. Just Hideous. Plaza Midwood deserves some sort of art installation or mural on the Dairy Queen side. Snug Harbor's new mural is really well done, why not hire that guy? 

In other news, the townhouse project proposed by Bobby Drakeford, next to the Teeter has now been changed to a single-family home project.  I think 11 single-family homes, on very narrow lots.  The houses in the rezoning renderings indicate they are copying the pseudo-Victorians that Drakeford did on 8th St in First Ward (which actually have aged well I think).

That is really great to hear. We could use folks who have something invested in the neighborhood to offset, although barely, apartment after apartment after apartment.

Variety is the spice of life and Plaza Midwood needs all types of housing including apartments but if that means more Nooks then I am all for blocking it all. Seriously, The Nook is extremely irresponsible but I wonder what was the main cause of this architectural disaster. Was the developer pressuring the designer? Did parking requirements contribute to this?

I like The Nook, or at least what it attempts.  It's small-lot infill that isn't some mega community where you pay a premium for a lot of amenities, therefore its a better pricepoint, and the residents (theoretically) are more engaged in the neighborhood (as opposed to on-site gym, coffee shop, etc).

There is retail.  There is a wide sidewalk.  The facade facing Central is full brick.

For those what want more murals, the side facing Dairy Queen would be a great place for El Barto to write on the chalk board "I will not paint apartments beige."

• Like 2

I like The Nook, or at least what it attempts.  It's small-lot infill that isn't some mega community where you pay a premium for a lot of amenities, therefore its a better pricepoint, and the residents (theoretically) are more engaged in the neighborhood (as opposed to on-site gym, coffee shop, etc).

There is retail.  There is a wide sidewalk.  The facade facing Central is full brick.

For those what want more murals, the side facing Dairy Queen would be a great place for El Barto to write on the chalk board "I will not paint apartments beige."

I totally agree. Its ugly on the sides, but there's not much wrong with the front and I like the intent behind it. I actually hope we see more similar projects, just with better design and materials.

• Like 2

#neverforget

422268_file_srKCQVdQxLUrfZ_hOw45jU3SV.jp

The-Nook-Charlotte.jpg

I actually think that is a very nice picture of Nook and I hate the rendering. Looks too Chic. The actual outcome is ugly and I don't mind ugly. Looks like an ugly building in Detroit.

Though in real life Nook never really jumped out at me as odd or sticking out. And I just ate at DQ there last week

:lol:  It looks so bad.

It's almost like the developer is planning on that Dairy Queen going away in the future so another project can block that terrible exterior on the east side of the building.

Somehow, it manages to ooze seediness and institutional boredom. It reminds me of the women's jail on the West Side Highway in west Chelsea about 20 years ago.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods

So while I think it is VERY ugly, I wholeheartedly agree with atlrvr.  We need more small-scale developments like this that use the neighborhood as the "amenity" and incorporate street oriented retail.  If I were trying to salvage the asethetic, I would start with an accent color. Use it in a limited manner in the back (balcony flashings/tim perhaps) and then paint the little brick fin in the front to match.

Edited by archiham04

This is a little article about some new retail in Charlotte.  Specifically it mentions CLTCH opening in the former Hall's Clock (which I didn't realize was closed?)  While I love the PM bars and restaurants, it is nice to see some retail opening too.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/fashion/article24773791.html

• Like 2

This is a little article about some new retail in Charlotte.  Specifically it mentions CLTCH opening in the former Hall's Clock (which I didn't realize was closed?)  While I love the PM bars and restaurants, it is nice to see some retail opening too.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/fashion/article24773791.html

It's not closed. I was just in there a few weeks ago. I walked past there about 20 minutes ago actually and it looks like they've split the space in two.